Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #1

hot wires?

Hey I read about these on another forum does anyone here have any experience with them? Is this one of those gimmick things or are they for real?

http://www.lifan-moto-forum.com/YaBB.pl?num=1220653107

Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
They are for real, and so will the hole in your piston be. I saw a piston the other day that had been ran with these wires, you could tell by the hole in it which way the plug was indexed.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #3

I investigated it thouroughly and bought one at the lifanmoto website
as long as you dont run a lean condition or a plug hotter than normal there shouldnt be any problem. there is a bunch of guys over there raving about hot wires I got a air filter and bunch of jets and gonna get on of those exhausts. i cant wait for them to get in! i'll let you guys know how they work.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #4

I'm not a member at that other site, so I couldn't see any of the stuff attached in that thread. I don't know if it was pictures, links to other sites or documents of some sort.

I could (and will eventually) search for this "hotwire" on my own, but for now...color me skeptical.

It's hard to simply accept a "seat of the pants", "I just did this mod and hope I didn't waste my time and money" review. But, I guess a before and after dyno run is too much to expect.

I hope it works well for you. It would be great if you could provide more details...like maybe some pictures the members of THIS site can see.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 09-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSouth
It's hard to simply accept a "seat of the pants", "I just did this mod and hope I didn't waste my time and money" review. But, I guess a before and after dyno run is too much to expect.
Actually... I don't think so... Eric (one of the mods), is pretty handy at getting performance data and has had is bike on the dyno more then a couple of times... He may post up some stuff about the hotwires, I believe he just recently got one on his bike.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:43 PM   #6

Who ever gets those Nology Hotwires keep us posted on the results of the mod. I have been researching them and have ran across some stuff that make sense concerning these hotwires.

This is what I found:

“CAPACITOR” EFFECT WIRES with grounded metal braiding over jacket

The most notable of exaggerated claims for ignition wires are made by Nology, a recent manufacturer of ignition wires promoted as “the only spark plug wires with built-in capacitor.” Nology’s “HotWires” (called “Plasma Leads” in the UK) consist of unsuppressed solid metal or spiral conductor ignition wires over which braided metal sleeves are partially fitted. The braided metal sleeves are grounded via straps formed from part of the braiding. Insulating covers are fitted over the braided metal sleeves. These wires are well constructed. For whatever reason, Nology specifies that non-resistor spark plugs need to be used with their “HotWires.” In a demonstration, the use of resistor plugs nullifies the visual effect of the brighter spark.

Ignition wires with grounded braided metal sleeves over the cable have come and gone all over the world for (at least) the last 30 years, and similar wires were used over 20 years ago by a few car makers to solve cross-firing problems on early fuel injected engines and RFI problems on fiberglass bodied cars — only to find other problems were created. The recent Circle Track Magazine (USA, May, 1996 issue) test showed Nology “HotWires” produced no additional horsepower (the test actually showed a 10 horsepower decrease when compared to stock carbon conductor wires).

The perceived effect a brighter spark, conducted by an ignition wire, encased or partially encased in a braided metal sleeve (shield) grounded to the engine, jumping across a huge free-air gap (which bears no relationship to the spark needed to fire the variable air/fuel mixture under pressure in a combustion chamber) is continually being re-discovered and cleverly demonstrated by marketers who convince themselves there’s monetary value in such a bright spark, and all sorts of wild, completely un-provable claims are made for this phenomena.

Like many in the past, Nology cleverly demonstrates a brighter free-air spark containing useless flash-over created by the crude “capacitor” (effect) of this style of wire. In reality, the bright spark has no more useful energy to fire a variable compressed air/fuel mixture than the clean spark you would see in a similar demonstration using any good carbon conductor wire. What is happening in such a demonstration is the coil output is being unnecessarily boosted to additionally supply spark energy that is induced (and wasted) into the grounded braided metal sleeve around the ignition wire’s jacket. To test the validity of this statement, ask the demonstrator to disconnect the ground strap and observe just how much energy is sparking to ground.

Claims by Nology of their “HotWires” creating sparks that are “300 times more powerful,” reaching temperatures of “100,000 to 150,000 degrees F” (more than enough to melt spark plug electrodes), spark durations of “4 billionths of a second” (spark duration is controlled by the ignition system itself) and currents of “1,000 amperes” magically evolving in “capacitors” allegedly “built-in” to the ignition wires are as ridiculous as the data and the depiction of sparks in photographs used in advertising material and the price asked for these wires! Most stock ignition primaries are regulated to 6 amperes and the most powerful race ignition to no more than 40 amperes at 12,000 RPM.

It is common knowledge amongst automotive electrical engineers that it is unwise to use ignition wires fitted with grounded braided metal sleeves fitted over ignition cable jackets on an automobile engine. This type of ignition wires forces its cable jackets to become an unsuitable dielectric for a crude capacitor (effect) between the conductor and the braided metal sleeves. While the wires function normally when first fitted, the cable jackets soon break down as a dielectric, and progressively more spark energy is induced from the conductors (though the cable jackets) into the grounded metal sleeves, causing the ignition coil to unnecessarily output more energy to fire both the spark plug gaps and the additional energy lost via the braided metal sleeves. Often this situation leads to ignition coil and control unit overload failures. It should be noted that it is dangerous to use these wires if not grounded to the engine, as the grounding straps will be alive with thousands of volts wanting to ground-out to anything (or body) nearby.

Unless you are prepared to accept poorly suppressed ignition wires that fail sooner than any other type of ignition wires and stretch your ignition system to the limit, and have an engine with no electronic management system and/or exhaust emission controls, it’s best not to be influenced by the exaggerated claims, and some vested-interest journalists’, resellers’ and installers’ perception an engine has more power after Nology wires are fitted. Often, after replacing deteriorated wires, any new ignition wires make an engine run better

The Citadel

LF200GY-5

Old 09-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #7

i saw that same story when i googled hot wires. there were far more positive stories and that was the only negative article i read. i tend to listen more to people that actually use a item but i will find out myself for sure. mine will be here in a few days

anybody know of any other items like this that may boost power?

Old 09-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #8

I still don't see the problem with getting the old fashioned bigger wire. Its not like you are going to see GINORMUSS power gains from a compasiter.

Besides internal combustion engines are made to BURN FUEL and AIR not create giant sparks. You want power improve air movement through the engine itself and or force air in it.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #9

I don't know if these wires will mess up carb motors, but they sure messed with the electronics in FI cars. I use to have a 600+ hp Integra and only used Magnecor wires. Its right that when you put a positive and negative wire together you get a bigger spark then a spark trying to jump a gap. But what else happens when you put positive and negative together-blow ups and other things which are a no-no. Just google Nology Hotwires and you will get all the horror stories. In my experience they sucked in FI cars, I had a friend who was dead set on using hotwires in his street/drag car and he always experienced erratic idle and other electrical gremlins. We never really got to the source of the problem, until I came online and saw other ppl with the same problems. So we decided to which his wires with something else, magically all his problems went away with new plug wires.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Actually... I don't think so... Eric (one of the mods), is pretty handy at getting performance data and has had is bike on the dyno more then a couple of times... He may post up some stuff about the hotwires, I believe he just recently got one on his bike.
That would be great!
I'm sure quite a few people would find it interesting and informative.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 09-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #11

got mine in today! instant difference motorcycle starts easier with no having to choke takes off faster and feels like more power. i dont care what anyone says about it not working on their cars it works great on my motorcycle. im a believer! now i just need to get my filter and jet mods done then ill be in TMS heaven

Old 09-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #12

Glad you like the HotWires. I also wrote a review on the Nology Silver spark plugs. Please take a look at it here: http://www.lifan-moto-forum.com/YaBB.pl?num=1222731907

There have been a lot of negative info in regards to the Nology HotWires, however, let's take into account that if these wires did not work, Nology would not have a limited lifetime warranty on these.

As for those who experienced problems with them in their cars, well, let's take into account that cars have tons of electronics in them versus a 200cc sport bike. And to use non resistor plugs, as recommended, might and can cause interference with electrical equipment on a car.

There are others on LM's site that have the HotWires. Ask them how they like it...

Old 09-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao
I still don't see the problem with getting the old fashioned bigger wire. Its not like you are going to see GINORMUSS power gains from a compasiter.

Besides internal combustion engines are made to BURN FUEL and AIR not create giant sparks. You want power improve air movement through the engine itself and or force air in it.
A bigger wire means nothing if there is resistance. Let's put it this way, if you turn the gas stove on low versus high, it'll take longer to boil the water. Flame is a flame right??

I know it's hard to believe, but I can assure you that there is a difference ever since I put the HotWires in. 8)

Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #14

Don't you guys think that maybe it was just the low quality china spark plug wires and imitation china NGK spark plugs that made these bike feel sluggish. Once you put better new quality wires and plugs in, of course your butt dyno is going to feel the difference. Its just like a tune up in a car, you will feel a difference after a tune up, because of the new items. I remember a company named Splitfire with its claims, now where is that company, its still here but pretty much faded away. Nology is also in the same boat, they were huge when they first came out, but now they are just faded in the background.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondax
Don't you guys think that maybe it was just the low quality china spark plug wires and imitation china NGK spark plugs that made these bike feel sluggish. Once you put better new quality wires and plugs in, of course your butt dyno is going to feel the difference. Its just like a tune up in a car, you will feel a difference after a tune up, because of the new items. I remember a company named Splitfire with its claims, now where is that company, its still here but pretty much faded away. Nology is also in the same boat, they were huge when they first came out, but now they are just faded in the background.
Well, of course I had changed out the original Torch plug with a geniune NGK right off the get go. Of course a "tune up" is going to make things run better, but to actually feel a difference in performance/acceleration is totally different than running smoother.

Until you actually try it yourself, it's not fair to say this or that. I'm not forcing anyone to buy anything, I'm just telling you my personal experience with using the mentioned products and it works great. There are others over at LM who have followed in my footsteps and they too report great results. Again, don't knock it till you try it.

Ride safe.