Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #1

Broken Throttle Warning

Some time back i experienced a stuck throttle and fortunately the throttle got stuck at idle. The plastic throttle tube shattered and let go of the cable. I was able to use electrical tape and hold the mess together long enough to get a new throttle.

Now i'm pretty easy on the throttle(most of the time). So, was pretty amazed that the thing would fail the way it did. I replaced it with a new graphite tube with preinstalled soft gel grips.

I'm recommending that the stock chinese throttles be replaced for safety due to the brittle plastic.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #2

Thanks for the heads-up, Brother!!!

I'm good to go on mine...I just installed a Vista Cruiser, so I got up close and personal with it. But, If I hadn't... 8O :oops: :evil:

Keen eye,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #3

I remember mine did get sticky so I pulled the grip and greased the handlebar, and reassembled the unit. Fine after that. I haven't heard of the tube breaking before, but maybe it just wasn't written up. Glad you're up and running. :wink:

Old 10-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist
I remember mine did get sticky so I pulled the grip and greased the handlebar, and reassembled the unit. Fine after that. I haven't heard of the tube breaking before, but maybe it just wasn't written up. Glad you're up and running. :wink:
Just an FYI, if you plan to ride off road at all, grease on the throttle tube is a BIG no-no. It attracts dirt and THAT will cause the throttle to stick 8O . That's why they aren't greased from the factory. If there is noticable resistance with the tube and handlebar dry, you got other problems like worn out and/or rusty parts.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2021 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 HP!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #5

I use graphite powder on my throttle tube. works wonders on or off road

Old 10-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #6

Dry teflon lubricant works well too, just let the propellant dry out first, or it'll forever be wet, and dirty under the grip.

--Vince

Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #7

Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #8

Thanks Red,

Did apply a light coat of WD40 to the bar before installing the new throttle. Almost used grease on it, then thought it might make get to gooey in cold weather.

Double glad i didn't, now.

The old one was always dry- there was some grit and white powder on the bar when i took it off. Think it was the plastic off the tube wearing down and making it thin in spots. The new throttle has a dust seal, the old one didn't.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #9

Well guess what!
Mine is broken as well.
Imagine that. I seem to get all the good stuff.

I haven't fixed it yet, but I still have time. I'm still trying to get that new swingarm bolt done up, oh and the muffler repair, oh and the clutch that won't fully engage, and the broken (both) carrier/side fender frame mounts. 8O
Not that I'm complaining. I knew it was budget when I bought it.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #10

Geez Mr. Squish! You have all the luck!

--Vince

Old 10-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #11

Re: Broken Throttle Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroyjetsn
Some time back i experienced a stuck throttle and fortunately the throttle got stuck at idle. The plastic throttle tube shattered and let go of the cable. I was able to use electrical tape and hold the mess together long enough to get a new throttle.

Now i'm pretty easy on the throttle(most of the time). So, was pretty amazed that the thing would fail the way it did. I replaced it with a new graphite tube with preinstalled soft gel grips.

I'm recommending that the stock chinese throttles be replaced for safety due to the brittle plastic.
Elroy, may I ask where you got your replacement?
Thanx
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #12

LOL.I probably have all thoses probs as well on my HSUN.but I wouldnt know how to detect them.lol......I wanted to give up riding my Chinabike after my swingarm bolt went loose.although it was repaired and loctited and has been good since although the day after my rear caliper fell off on a busy street and I had no tools on me.managed to get it back on with my bare hands.my fault for not tightening it good after fixing the leak from the pistons, which has not happened again yet....Im not too worried about safety anymore.as I face the facts- its not the safest ride in the world.no motorcycle is though...besides Im rarely over 60 KMPH on it and at tops around 70- 80kmph briefly...I would only attempt racing old grannies in wheel chairs on my HSUN...although I swooped right past a few dudes on croch rockets with thier scared little love bunnies clinging on for dear life the other night....lol....ah Im a loser!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #13

PB Blaster has a good product that goes on with a wet vehicle to distribute the product, then the vehicle evaporates and leaves only microscopic Teflon dust!

http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=6

I bought it to lube my door locks, but figured it might be just the ticket for throttle and cable duty.

$.02
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #14

Re: Broken Throttle Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsquishy
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroyjetsn

Elroy, may I ask where you got your replacement?
Thanx
It was in the closeout bin at the local dealer for $15. Got it home and found it was for a 2 smoke. Hmm, didn't know there was difference... :oops:

Designed for 1/4 twist to F.T. So, that's how they do it-keep the engine running!

Dremel tool saved the day. :?

My advice... buy a complete offroad throttle assembly and add a starter switch somewhere.

Got it to work fine, but will likely replace the whole shebang at some time.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #15

I don't know if this was suggested since I did not read the entire thread, but if you find yourself with a broken throttle cable and need to get home, you can temporarily turn the idle screw up so that you can at least limp to your distination at about 20mph....it works....I've done it. Yeah stopping isn't fun, but I just turned the bike off when I had to come to a complete stop and used the key as a momentary kill switch when I needed to slow down but not stop in 1st.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)