Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #1

New GY-5 Owner: 3 problems. can you help?

Hi everyone.

I just picked up a brand new GY-5 from a dealer friend of mine. He let me take it home in the crate. I pretty much did everything the dealer would do to set these bikes up (put the wheels on, handle bars, battery, headlight, mirrors..etc).

Here are my three problems I was hoping you guys could help answer.

1) Not So Smooth Throttle
The feel of the throttle is really gritty and not very smooth. it operates fine - I think it may just be my preference for a quick snappy throttle? the carb. side of the cable is snappy and smooth (I.E the issue isnt a bad spring on the carb side)

My questions:
a) how does your throttle feel. Is a gritty, not so smooth throttle normal?
b) If it's not normal - is there anything else I should be looking for?
c) if it is normal - Is there any other throttle cable/assembly that I could buy (maybe a honda?) which will be much smoother and snappier?

2) Not so Smooth Clutch / Clutch Sticks
The clutch also feels a bit gritty and doesnt pull / return smoothly. It's also possible it's not fully engaging (this relates back to it not returning smoothly). There is clutch lever play when the clutch is let out but I almost have to Push it out to get it to go all the way out. The transmission side is snappy and smooth...

My Questions:
a) How does your clutch feel?
do you find yourself sometimes wondering if the bike is fully engaged in gear? (ie the clutch is fully let out eventhoug you've let go of it)?
b) What should I be looking for to solve this if it isnt normal?
c) Is there an aftermarket cable or assembly I could buy that fits perfectly and will render a smoother more "sure" feeling clutch?

3) Brakes don't....Break..
The front brake went on fine - so did the rear brake. The brake lever and rear brake lever feel SOLID and smooth! When I go to stop though, the front break feels really really squishy. I can literally pull the lever all the way to the bar without locking up the front tire. I feel resistance in the lever the moment i begin to apply the brakes but just no real braking power. This cannot be the way Lifan intended...it's unsafe - th ebike just keeps rolling.

My Questions
A) what did I miss here? the front caliper is on right..and the brake fluid is clear.
B) Do I have to bleed the brakes? currently there is a small SMALL bubble in the window of the brake lever - I thought it's standard to have a small bubble in that particular window (where you check it's fluid level)?

I'm an avid motorcycylist. I've been riding for 4 years - mostly brand new mainstream sportbikes and cruisers and i've maintained them all keeping them in show room condition. I've ridin dirtbikes before but never owned a dirtbike or dual sport like the GY-5 (and I've never owned a china made bike). I applied my basic motorcycle knowlade that i've picked up over the past 4 years to putting the bike together and trouble shooting the issues i've listed above. I was successfull with everything else accept the issues listed above.

Can you guys help? Much appreciated and looking forward to contributing to the board as soon as I, myself learn a bit more about these bikes.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #2

Can you have your dealer friend look at it, he should be able to help you out...

You could look and see if there is something in the throttle tube under the hand grip, I sawed the end of mine off when I put on hand guards and got little pieces of plastic in and that made it feel gritty until I cleaned them out... I've heard of a few people who had the throttle tube crack, maybe it is broken and some plastic is binding up?

You may have to loosen the bolts that the clutch lever pivots on?

Do your brakes have a little anti-lock cylinder thing on them? Does the line go from the master cylinder right to the brake or is there like a little bottle on it?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #3

Also make sure the cables are lubed. Lots of members have broken cables after a few hundred miles. I lubed mine on day one and not a problem with them.

I also had an issue with my throttle after I installed new grips. The rubber of the grip contacted the switch housing causing drag. I made a small washer from oil bottle plastic and then spray some silicone lube on it. No more problem there.

The clutch cable may need adjustment.

They brakes need to be bled. The fluid in them is pretty low grade so go invest in some new DoT 5 and then bleed the old out and replace with new. That should improve your brake feel. Also a good time to ditch the ABS thingys if you have them.

If you haven't done so. Read the prep sticky above. Initial setup and prep go along way in overall reliability.

Allen

Old 10-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #4

As others mentioned, lube ALL cables (speedo too!) before you ride the bike. Your brake problem sounds like you got some fluid on the rotor. If you are feeling good brake lever pressure, but it's not stopping, you more then likely have something "lubing" th pads and rotor. Take a gas soaked rag and wipe everything down really well and retry. Or go by a can of brakleen and use that. Gas is cheaper (well a little 8O ).

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2021 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 HP!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
As others mentioned, lube ALL cables (speedo too!) before you ride the bike. Your brake problem sounds like you got some fluid on the rotor. If you are feeling good brake lever pressure, but it's not stopping, you more then likely have something "lubing" th pads and rotor. Take a gas soaked rag and wipe everything down really well and retry. Or go by a can of brakleen and use that. Gas is cheaper (well a little 8O ).

Never use Gasoline as a solvent! Way to flamable. Get some brakeclean in a can. I has a classmate who was cleaning a bike chain with gas and dropped a wrench. Third degree burns are not fun.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #6

LOL..my answer to all your questions is yup, Chinabikes in general require alot of maintenance and are not a cushy ride by any stretch of the imagination, absolutely do all of the above to help aid the glitches, with the exception of the brakes, make sure they work good, if they dont work at all you will need to look at them, but seeing as though you are used to riding more mainstream cycles you might just bo picking these glitches out because you wont have to deal with them on pricier bikes, I know myself and others started with Chinese bikes or other smaller beat up dirt bikes etc so its something you get used too, as long as you inspect the bike well before each ride and keep it well maintained and go along with some pointers from this site I dont think you will have to worry about anything too catastrophic, sorry I cant offer any better advice than that of which has already been posted, best of luck, let us know how it goes dude!
Pay particular attention to your safety when riding a GY as there is alot you can get away with on other bikes that you just cant with one of these, rider safety priority number one, dont fall asleep at the throttle! :wink:

Old 10-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #7

I have no qualifications whatsoever to answer any of your questions; I didn't assemble my bike, and it's not a Lifan - it's an HSUN. But I can tell you a couple of things about your concerns.

My throttle works smoothly. I imagine you might need some lube, or the cable may be kinked somewhere.

Same with the clutch cable. May need lube.

My brakes work very well. In fact, I consider them a little touchy. I can lock up the real wheel real easily. I think bleeding the brakes and cleaning the rotors should get you rolling. Good Luck!

Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
I know when I got my bike and assembled it, I drained the master cylinder and replaced it with good fluid. I think it was a little like the oil that comes in the bike, not really worth having.