Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #1

Fall/early Winter riding

Those of us in the North East know the chill this time of year when out riding. Since the DS crowd are usually the last to hang up the keys for the year I was wondering.....What are you guys doing to keep warm?

I'm still commuting to work and the new handguards are a God-send.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 10-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #2

I turn the dial to warm in my jeep.

I have handguards and I wear insulated carharts when it gets colder, but this year I have really backed off of riding in the cold. Mostly since I have a carpool partner now.

Allen

Old 10-31-2008, 12:54 PM   #3

I thought you lived in Georgia. Define cold, but be warned - laughter may ensue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I have handguards and I wear insulated carharts when it gets colder, but this year I have really backed off of riding in the cold. Mostly since I have a carpool partner now.

Allen

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 10-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #4

It was 28F degrees this morning we had a frost.

I rode in the 30s last year and my cut off was freezing.

I am from MN further North than alot of Canadians.

Gas is $2.09 a gallon so driving my Jeep has been easier.

Alle

Old 10-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #5

I can actually finally help out someone else on this board!! woohoo!

The key (for me atleast) is base layers. Do you SKi or snowboard? I'm a big time snowboarder so I throw on all of my "Long Johns". These are also called Baselayers or thermals.

They are thin, light weight and great for winter under wear. THEN you can put a t-shirt on, a sweater or something long sleeved warm top layer. Then a jacket and you are good to go!

Same for legs, get thermals. It's a face palm solution but it works and its light weight and best of all not bulky like most other "winter wear" solutions.

Cheers!

Old 10-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #6

Layers is key.

My typical cool/cold weather setup. I wear a uniform so that is my base layer. Then a hooded sweatshirt on backwards so the hood is at my chin. I then put on my insulated bib overalls. Then I bought a used Teknic cold weather riding jacket. It is waterproof and keeps the wind out. That is my top layer. I also have a pair of guantlet gloves that combined with the handguards work pretty well.

The purpose of the backwards hooded sweatshirt is that is makes a great wind breaker for the chin/neck area. I just tuck the hood into the chin of my helmet and the crack the shield to vent it at stop lights.

This works great down to freezing temps and I rode once in the freezing rain last year.

I told a guy at the IHOP that was riding a scooter as his only transportation. He ask how I stayed warm. I pointed to the Home Depot behind me.

Allen

Old 10-31-2008, 03:18 PM   #7

My base layer is thinsulite longjohns top and bottom.
Then, electric vest.
Then pants and sweater over the vest.
Leather jacket under a 3/4 length winter coat/ no hood.
Boots and snowmobile leather gloves.

Proviso:
I'm so thin I vent heat like an air cooled motor.
I've been cold in August.

I have rode highway for over an hour when it was 6 degrees C. while dressed for it.

My chin and legs got cold, but for a while I could have turned off the vest. I didn't, but I could have. :wink:

Old 10-31-2008, 03:21 PM   #8

I am thin too. My knees get cold first when riding.

Allen

Old 10-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #9

Back when I was in university, I rode from Charlottetown, PEI, to Fredericton, N.B., in the middle of March once, to see a girl.

I remember wearing snowmobile gloves, a rain jacket, full leathers, snowmobile helmet, and multiple layers, and still being very very cold.

I usually wear lots of layers now, in the spring especially, but my hands get cold. This will be my first year with hand guards, so I'm hoping that will make a difference.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:20 PM   #10

I can't praise my electic vest enough. Even the turtleneck on the vest is heated. Keeping your core warm keeps you warm. Sure my legs are chilled and a bit stiff when I get off, but I'm NOT SHIVERING. Oddly I don't use it to extend the end of my season, but it's great for starting the season early.

It's been cold here, but today was great and early next week we're supposed to get nice and warm. I might not be riding far, but I will be riding.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #11

Compared to you guys, I am a wimp. I can ride a short spell in cool (not frigid) weather. I just wear long pants, a jacket, and some insulated gloves. But when I get cold, I go home. I like to ride but I don't like freezing. I would never consider commuting on a bike in the winter; because I'd get too cold, and I won't/ can't drive in the snow. I can plow our driveway with our garden tractor, but in 30 minutes I'm done and go indoors. I just can not imagine how you guys can drive in the snow. I have a hard enough time staying up on a bike in the dry weather!

Old 11-01-2008, 01:11 AM   #12

If there is snow on the road I'm not riding either brother. But in the spring when there is still snowbanks sometimes the roads are bone dry. After a season of bike fixing and polishing the urge to test ride can get pretty strong. Riding cold can be very dangerous, tunnel vision and get- home-itus.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #13

I wear long-johns, leather chaps, boots, sweater, leather jacket, full-face helmet, insulated gloves and a toboggan with a hole cut in the top to wear around my neck like a turtle-neck.

The hand guards, windshield and chaps are the saving grace for me. I also ride a little slower to reduce the wind chill factor. Following a big-truck helps too!

Last year I blew-up the oil tank on the Harley in 17 deg. F. because of frozen moisture in the oil line or breather...I'm not to sure, because I was warranted. 8) I didn't like standing around waiting for the rescue wagon though :evil:

Ride safely,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #14

2 Coats, 2 pairs of pants, long underwear, balaclava, thin gloves regular gloves and winter gloves over top, 3 pairs of socks.......its not the cold that bothers me, watch out fo ice, I already wiped my back tire out going up my dads driveway last week hit some ice, I was only going about 5kmph so no damage to me just popped the lense of the right front signal, its fixed now, my dad laughed! :P

Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #15

I plan to ride at least into the upper 20's as last week a 34 degree day wasn't too bad. I night need to add coveralls. Might even add a windshield for the winter.