Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #1

Hello from Florida!

Hello everyone,

I thought I would post a little bit about my bike and start a thread here to hopefully get some answers to some questions I have.

I bought this bike used with approx. 900 miles on it, for $900.00. It's got a few issues but it is drivable and fires up every time. I had been looking at scooters for quite a while and even drove a few, so over the course of a few months of investigating this and that, I had come across the Lifan Brand more than a few times and wasn't totally unfamiliar with the name and quality. I work 5 miles from where I live and was looking for something easy on gas to get me back and forth.

It was a good thing that I had already been looking around for a cheaper ride, as the motor in my 87 ford pick-up finally told me it needed an overhaul. When the crank shaft slides back far enough that the starter gear won't engage the fly wheel anymore, you know it's time for an overhaul!

Anyway, I was cruising around Craig's list one evening and happened across this LF200. I got in touch with the guy and setup a time to give it a ride. The stock battery was shot, but it fired right up on the first kick. I ran around the block a few times and I was hooked! What a nice ride! I was impressed and was totally blown away, remembering all the negative crap I have read on the Internet about Chinese bikes. After buying the bike and riding it now for a few weeks, I can safely say that this bike is way out of that stereotypical category. This is one sweet ride for it's size and power rating.

The bike suites every purpose that I needed, which was not a lot, since I only need it to get back and forth to work. It's got a few rattles and has needed some attention in these areas, but I think I got them just about all tightened up.

Is the bike worth $900.00 bucks? To me it is! I would even pay $1700.00 or what ever they are selling for, for a brand new one, although I do have my eye on the 400.

The bike needs a few things. The guy that I bought it from layed it down and the front left blinker was damaged, so he removed both of them; don't ask me why. The tack dose not work and there is no speedo cable. So as far as the actual mileage on the bike goes, I could only take his word that the cable snapped two weeks before I bought it. The speedo says 679 miles right now so I figure the 900 mile guestamate is close to being in the ball park, but who knows. The lay down caused very minimal damage and most all cosmetic, which is not that bad at all. Other than the broken turn signal in the front the clutch lever and shift lever got a little bent. Other than that, the bike looks like a 2 year old bike that rides nicely down the road.

I had posted a thread on the American Lifan site and was informed that this is a black market bike. You say grey market, I say black market and I am black listed by American Lifan, as I cannot get parts for it, at least not form AL. I am going to try and hook up with anyone here that may know where I get pick up a few parts or mod the parts out to keep the bike on the road.

The bike I have is pretty solid other than a few rattles and the broken stuff I like it very much. Here is a link to the thread that I started at the AL forum:

http://www.americanlifan.com/lifan3/...pic.php?t=1159

Thanks for looking!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #2

No snobery here...we love gray bikes.

I am sure that you can get parts for that thing ...even if ALifan won't.
(Asshat Lifan that is) :wink:
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 11-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
These folks have everything you need. If not let me know and I have a few more parts links.

http://www.rabbitscooters.com/rabbit...d285_parts.htm

Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 AM   #4

I'm surprised at the rabbitscooters recommendation.

I have not heard good things about them and they are one of the web sites Lifan is going after. Have you ordered from them?

I need a rear sprocket hub (#29500) and I don't want to get another one that is going to disintegrate in 500 miles like the one that is on there now.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 11-09-2008, 03:45 AM   #5

I've ordered stuff from them for a GY-5, I wouldn't order a complete bike from them from what I've read on the net, but you should be ok getting parts from there. After the reception AL gave me after they learned I had a grey market bike, I don't listen to much they have to say. I buy parts where ever I can. Hooper imports is another good place to get parts, and AL hates them. It actually makes me feel better getting parts from somebody AL doesn't like, but that's just me. LOL.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG1976
I've ordered stuff from them for a GY-5, I wouldn't order a complete bike from them from what I've read on the net, but you should be ok getting parts from there. After the reception AL gave me after they learned I had a grey market bike, I don't listen to much they have to say. I buy parts where ever I can. Hooper imports is another good place to get parts, and AL hates them. It actually makes me feel better getting parts from somebody AL doesn't like, but that's just me. LOL.
Amen

Old 11-09-2008, 04:32 AM   #7

Well,

I can appreciate your feeling that way about AL, they make it hard for people to like them.

One thing I have noticed about rabbitscooters is if one of the items you are looking to buy is not on their eBay store, they don't have it. That's probably the only place I would buy through anyway, since I doubt eBay would tolerate them ripping people for very long before they shut them down. If I saw the part pop up in their eBay store I would buy it from there.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:39 AM   #8

Good morning Chris,

Did you see my reply to the link you posted over on the AL forum?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 AM   #9

Long time, no see 8)

You are not "black listed" here!

Hope you get the help you need :wink:

Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertamer
Long time, no see 8)

You are not "black listed" here!

Hope you get the help you need :wink:

Tigertamer
"black listed"--Wa, Ho Waaa! 8O

No, he's right again, all are welcome here. The rules sticky explains it all. You can bash your own bike, but not all chinabikes. Respecting other members only makes sense. That's who will be answering your questions. Ej might be able to help get the stuff you need, Kato has the phone #. I encourage you to read the bike prep sticky, then everything else. Try using the search feature, be as specific as you can when titling your new threads. I think you'll like it here

Old 11-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #11

Got the rules Ironfist. I'm a moderator on another forum. So, you won't have any trouble out of me!

No bike bashing, I like my bike! I just don't like not being able to get Lifan parts for it.

There's only one major part I am in need of, the rest I will rig until Lifan decides they would like to make money selling parts. I think I may have a lead on the part and may know something tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Old 11-10-2008, 02:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren
Well,

I can appreciate your feeling that way about AL, they make it hard for people to like them.

One thing I have noticed about rabbitscooters is if one of the items you are looking to buy is not on their eBay store, they don't have it. That's probably the only place I would buy through anyway, since I doubt eBay would tolerate them ripping people for very long before they shut them down. If I saw the part pop up in their eBay store I would buy it from there.
Yeah, I know what you're saying. I haven't really been scared to purchase parts from anybody though. I wouldn't plop down $1500 bucks for a bike if I didn't know who I was getting it through though. I have even ordered parts from my Nemesis Atvdiscounter.com.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #13

Welcome. You will find that this is the home for all china bike owners.

Check you PM.

Allen

Old 11-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #14

JWarren
"I like my bike! I just don't like not being able to get Lifan parts for it. "

See you sound like a member already!

Welcome.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #15

i would welcome any member i wouldnt say gray black or anything wrong about the bike i can say that you might have trouble getting your parts anyway maybe more if you went through AL , i also reccomend you check one of my other post for a explanation but anyhow welcome to the family
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next