Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2008, 04:47 AM   #1

Sierra 200 Valve Adjustment Photos

The Valve Adjustment Tutorial thread authored by Red2003 is posted as a "sticky" on this forum. This superb tutorial is must reading for anyone wishing to learn more about performing this procedure on single-cylinder Chinese motorcycles. Please refer to this excellent tutorial for the complete details of how to properly perform a valve adjustment.

I took the following photographs to assist fellow owners of the Zongshen Sierra 200 motorcycle who will be performing a valve adjustment for the first time.

The first photograph shows the motorcycle after removing the seat, side plastics and tank plastic. The tank plastic is held in place by four bolts that attach through holes in the right and left air louver brackets. These holes are highlighted with yellow circles in the photograph.

This photograph shows the underside of the tank plastic. The mounting holes are highlighted with black circles.

The next photograph shows the motorcycle after removing the fuel tank and exhaust pipe heat shield.

I found it easier to adjust the valves after I also removed the right air louver bracket. This bracket is attached by two bolts on the frame, circled in yellow in the next photograph. After removing this bracket you can easily remove both valve tappet covers, gaining easy access to the valve adjusting nuts and screws.

Remove the two coin-shaped covers on the left crankcase to reveal the timing mark and the flywheel bolt.

If you follow Red's instructions you should be able to wiggle the rocker arms when the piston is at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke. If both rocker arms are too tight to wiggle, you are probably on the exhaust stroke; rotate the flywheel one more revolution in the counter-clockwise direction.

Loosen the valve adjusting nuts with a crescent wrench. Now you can rotate the valve adjusting screws. To rotate the valve adjusting screws I recommend using the tool pictured below, which consists of a number 2 square drive screw inserted into a wire nut. Once again, the details of building and using this tool are contained in the Valve Adjustment Tutorial thread.

The Sierra 200 Maintenance Manual specifies 0.06-0.08 mm clearance for the intake valve.

The Sierra 200 Maintenance Manual specifies 0.08-0.10 mm clearance for the exhaust valve.

After tightening the adjusting nut and removing the feeler guages, I suggest that you rotate the flywheel two more revolutions and check the valve clearance once again. If everything still checks out you are finished! Replace the valve tappet covers and reassemble the motorcyle.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #2

Great tutorial Spud! Will add this to my bookmarks, impressed to see what the Sierra can do man!

Totally love the little 4-stroker 200, sold mine a while back, and rode a KLR650 for a few months. Sold the KLR due to the seat height and my inseam of 32, just was a little tricky at times riding the bike on uneven roads.

Well, I am back on the Sierra 200, black on black version, and I am really happy to see the surge of new Sierra owners on this site!

Sierras are great, they got a bad rep for no good reason....RIDE ON and RIDE SAFE!

Old 11-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #3

Welcome back into the Zong Cult!

Bex,

Thank you for the kind words. Also, thank you for all of your previous posts. The information you provided greatly helped my decision to purchase a Sierra 200. China Riders is a great forum frequented by a lot of knowledgeable, helpful people.

I am glad to hear you decided to purchase another Zong! I hope you enjoy many safe, happy miles on your new Sierra 200.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #4

Spud, thanks for posting the pics. After seeing them I know I can handle the adjustments on my own.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #5

Valve Cover Bolts

The valve cover bolts on my Sierra 200 were torqued down pretty tight at the factory. When I was removing the exhaust valve cover I lightly stripped the hex head on one of the bolts.

To the best of my knowledge, almost every part in the Sierra 200 engine can be replaced with a part from a Yamaha TW200. However, there are some minor differences. For example, Yamaha uses Allen head bolts instead of hex head bolts for the valve covers. You can find many Yamaha parts vendors on the internet who provide online parts lookup with the Yamaha part number. Listed below is one such website.

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2006&fveh=4539

If you visit the above link, choose "cylinder head" from the drop-down menu. In this diagram the valve cover bolts are part #18, Yamaha part #91317-06018-00. This particular vendor is currently selling the bolts for $0.47 each.

I could have retightened my valve cover bolt with a pair of vise grips, but I wanted to replace it. Therefore, I went to the local Yamaha shop. They wanted $2.00 for the bolt, so I went down the street to the local Honda shop. They sold me the exact bolt, with hex head, for $0.94. The original bolt and its Honda replacement are shown in the photograph below.

I think I prefer the Yamaha, Allen head bolts. The next time I do a valve adjustment on my Sierra 200, I plan to replace the Zong valve cover bolts with Yamaha bolts. However, I plan to buy them beforehand, online, for $0.47 each, not locally, for $2.00 each. :wink:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #6

Nice job, and good pics!
2006 Roketa RSX200E MODS: YZ250F Muffler, Airbox delete with K/N style filter, Main Jet reamed 2 sizes over, Yamaha R1 Rear clicker shock on custom scissor linkage making 8 3/4in. of rear wheel travel!!! Battery relocated under seat.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #7

Thank you, Red.

Red,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your knowledge by posting the original Valve Adjustment Tutorial. Your photos and clear explanation encouraged me to try the procedure on my own motorcycle. You not only saved me a lot of money, you also empowered me to learn much more about my bike. Sir Francis Bacon was right: Knowledge is power.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #8

Awesome thread! I gotta sticky this one...

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 01-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #9

Thank you for the post. I just adjusted my valve with little problems. I cant begin to explain the value I place in this forum as a resource. I had the same issue that Spud had when using a cresent wrench. I bought a 1/4 snap on like mini ratchet ($12) that did the trick fine (going to return it now, broke as a joke at the moment) used a 5/16 socket. The air louver bracket was stuck on there pretty well so I left it on and It did not get in the way. I also just simply used a #2 square screw and bent it and cut it. for the valve adjusting screw. Worked great!!

Old 01-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #10

Thank you for your report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo
Thank you for the post...
You are very welcome. I thank you for reporting your experience with the valve adjustment procedure!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #11

I have just under 1000 miles on mine now, should I check the valves, or is it to soon to worry about ?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
I have just under 1000 miles on mine now, should I check the valves, or is it to soon to worry about ?
Page 20 of the Zongshen 200GY-2 User's Manual indicates we should make the first valve clearance check at 1,000 km (621 miles). I must admit, I waited until later; however, I encourage you to check the valve clearance now, at 1,000 miles.

It took me a little time to learn the procedure for my first valve check. However, I can now easily complete the entire process in 30 minutes. The Zongshen 167FML engine is a very tough, reliable, little powerplant. In my experience, the two best things you can do to keep this engine healthy are:
1. Frequently change the engine oil.
2. Check the valve clearances according to the schedule in the 200GY-2 User's Manual.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Page 20 of the Zongshen 200GY-2 User's Manual indicates we should make the first valve clearance check at 1,000 km (621 miles). I must admit, I waited until later; however, I encourage you to check the valve clearance now, at 1,000 miles.

It took me a little time to learn the procedure for my first valve check. However, I can now easily complete the entire process in 30 minutes. The Zongshen 167FML engine is a very tough, reliable, little powerplant. In my experience, the two best things you can do to keep this engine healthy are:
2. Check the valve clearances according to the schedule in the 200GY-2 User's Manual.

Spud
I figured now is about time as well, just making sure before I store it for the winter. I have adjusted valves on many different bikes, so this should be a piece of cake as long as I have the spec's, which I do, thanks Spud.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider

Spud
I figured now is about time as well, just making sure before I store it for the winter. I have adjusted valves on many different bikes, so this should be a piece of cake as long as I have the spec's, which I do, thanks Spud.
You're welcome. I'm sure it won't take you very long, DR. This engine is very easy to maintain. The valve tappet adjustment on the Zong is much easier to do than a bucket and shim adjustment. Given a little TLC, this bulletproof, little engine will keep running for years.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #15

Great pics
Does anyone have the clearances for a 07 Lifan handy? I have the manual, but clearly there is a typeo as there is no possible way a .5cm clearance could be required. And even if it where mm, it seems to be a bit much. I know they are off, probably way off on the engine, I can hear it, but I've been sooooooo lazy.....
Daddy 8)