Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2009, 05:21 AM   #1

Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 Frame Mod

In general, I am very pleased with the design of my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 motorcycle. I paid less than $1,200 USD (United States Dollars), delivered, for my motorcycle. At that price I consider it an exceptional value.

However, I am disappointed with Zongshen’s placement of a steel tab on the motorcycle’s frame just above the airbox cover. This particular tab is used as a mounting point for two plastic panels on the left side of the motorcycle.

This tab makes it very difficult both to remove, and to replace the airbox cover when cleaning the motorcycle’s foam air filter element. After wrestling with the airbox cover several times, I finally decided to eliminate this problem. I bought a 4-½ inch angle grinder on sale at Harbor Freight, and I used it to cut off the offending tab.

I then used a nylon locknut to attach the two plastic side panels together at the location of the missing mounting tab.

The two plastic panels now attach to the motorcycle as a single unit. I like this modification a lot, since cleaning the foam air filter element is now a much simpler chore.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894