Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #1

JC Whitney Travel Trunk (No Longer on Sale for $47.99)

Gentlemen,

I own one of these travel trunks, and they are great. They are waterproof, lock onto your motorcycle rack, and have a quick release. They also have a handle, so you can carry them like a suitcase. You can fit two bags of groceries or two full-face helmets inside this large trunk.

I liked my first trunk so well that I decided to order a second one. The regular price is $84.99, but if you follow the directions at the following link you can get it shipped free to you for $47.99, plus a $3.99 surcharge for oversized items. You must add another small item to your order to get the cost over $50 in order to qualify for the free shipping.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294434

I followed the directions given above on February 2, 2009, and the deal still works! Read the thread until you understand the process, then follow the directions exactly; you won’t get the $47.99 price until the next-to-last step, after you have entered your credit card information. If, for some reason, the directions don’t work, and you don’t get the reduced price, just cancel your order. You can try again later. I used the promo code “savenow” instead of “frshp50” for the free shipping. Good luck!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #2

Thanks for sharing !

Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #3

Travel Trunk Mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Thanks for sharing !
You are welcome.

This travel trunk is supplied with all the necessary hardware, including the metal mounting plate that attaches to your luggage rack. This sturdy mounting plate allows you to lock and unlock the trunk from your motorcycle both quickly and securely.

Two aluminum channels are also provided to secure the mounting plate to the luggage rack. If you wish, you might want to substitute some stronger channels or steel plates; if you tighten the supplied channels too much they will bend. You will also probably want to substitute some better washers, nuts and bolts of the appropriate size from your local hardware store.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #4

Am am going to have to look into one.

My action packer does a great job, but have a quick release would be nice.

Allen

Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #5

I have something of the same idea, but mine had a plastic mounting plate... I over tightened the bolts on those lower channels and cracked the plastic... So I threw them away and mounted the plate with zap straps... Very secure.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #6

Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
...My action packer does a great job, but have a quick release would be nice.
Allen
Indeed, the locking quick release is very nice! When I am traveling out of town I use this trunk as a suitcase. When I reach my destination I detach the trunk and carry it by the handle into my motel room. When I go riding in the dirt I detach the case and attach items to the luggage rack with bungee cords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
...mine had a plastic mounting plate... I over tightened the bolts on those lower channels and cracked the plastic... So I threw them away and mounted the plate with zap straps... Very secure.
The older model of this particular trunk had a plastic mounting plate. However, the new model has a metal mounting plate. The metal plate is fairly light, and it is fairly rugged. Fastening the mounting plate with zip ties is ingenious!

Frequently I heavily load this trunk with groceries or travel supplies. When I decided to mount an LED taillight I needed to remove the travel trunk mounting plate to gain access to the motorcycle frame. At that time I seized the opportunity to replace the aluminum channels with steel mounting straps. Considering how heavily I load this trunk, I feel safer using steel straps to secure it to the luggage rack.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #7

That does look good and sturdy

On mine, the zip ties / zap straps, are the strong point I think, I forget what they were rated for, it was quite a bit, they're good ones, and then I put about 15 of them on... They're definitely enough to lift the bike I would think, the plastic tabs on the plate that hold the trunk are the weak point I think... Plus the rack mounting points (on my bike).

Old 02-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #8

Mounting Plate 100% Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
...the plastic tabs on the plate that hold the trunk are the weak point I think... Plus the rack mounting points (on my bike).
Yes, I think the plastic mounting plate was a major design flaw. I am very glad that the new mounting plate for this trunk is constructed entirely of metal. Also, if you closely examine the second photo in this thread, you will see that the locking mechanism on the trunk itself is also constructed of metal. I am very pleased with this trunk. I think it is an exceptional value for only $47.99 USD (United States Dollars).

Without a doubt, I believe this travel trunk is the best modification I have made to my motorcycle.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #9

Yeah it looks like a good one, mine is a little step down, if I didn't have it I'd get the same one you have...

I would say my trunk is my 2nd best mod, and my tires is number 1

Old 02-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #10

Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Yeah it looks like a good one, mine is a little step down, if I didn't have it I'd get the same one you have...

I would say my trunk is my 2nd best mod, and my tires is number 1
Oops! I so much take for granted my dual sport tires that I forgot about them. :roll: I need to recant. :wink: The Zongshen DOT knobby tires were my best modification, and the J.C. Whitney travel trunk was second best.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #11

Tires are by far one of the best investments into my bike.

I would like one of those trunks, but I am trying not to spend any money until I have some finances reorganized.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #12

I had one of those JCW trunk on my Honda, but I wasn't completely satisfied. At high speed, the thing shoke and rattled like crazy. The latches on the base plate is plastic, and so are the hooks on the trunk. I simply did not trust them to hold for long at high speed. I would put four U-bolts thru the trunk, the base plate, and the luggage rack, to be safe.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
I had one of those JCW trunk on my Honda, but I wasn't completely satisfied. At high speed, the thing shoke and rattled like crazy. The latches on the base plate is plastic, and so are the hooks on the trunk. I simply did not trust them to hold for long at high speed. I would put four U-bolts thru the trunk, the base plate, and the luggage rack, to be safe.
Dragon,

I think you had the older version of this travel trunk. On the new version all latches are metal. I have traveled thousands of miles on my motorcycle with this trunk attached, and it does not rattle or shake excessively.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #14

I ordered one of the large trunks today and I got the $47.99 price, but no free shipping. Evidently, you have to order more than $99.00 now to get free shipping. I paid around $13.00 for shipping and handling, so the order was around $60.00. Still a good deal.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #15

New Travel Trunk Arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaguy
I ordered one of the large trunks today and I got the $47.99 price, but no free shipping. Evidently, you have to order more than $99.00 now to get free shipping. I paid around $13.00 for shipping and handling, so the order was around $60.00. Still a good deal.
Thanks for reporting that the deal still works! FedEx delivered my second travel trunk yesterday. In case you are wondering, the keys are different for each lock.

Even though it is dirty, you can still see that the “old” trunk handled the sun’s ultraviolet radiation very well.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220