Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2009, 01:48 AM   #1

DRC Edge II Tail Light Mod

The tail end of my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 takes a good beating while traveling over the rocky trails in the Idaho mountains. Therefore, I decided to replace the heavy, factory taillight assembly with a lightweight LED taillight, the DRC Edge II. This modification considerably lightened the rear end of my motorcycle, and it also reduced the demands on my bike’s electrical system. In addition, I think it improved the appearance of my motorcycle. Since I planned to attach the new taillight directly to the motorcycle’s frame, I purchased the DRC Edge II taillight assembly with the aluminum holder kit.

To perform this modification I first removed the seat and the rear plastic from the motorcycle. I then disconnected the electrical connections to the taillight and the rear turn signals (large yellow circle). After disconnecting the wires I detached the factory taillight; it was connected by two mounting tabs at the rear of the frame, and two mounting tabs at the side of the frame that also supported the rear turn signals (small yellow circles).

The taillight mounting tabs on the rear frame of my motorcycle are spaced 70 mm apart. Therefore, I next drilled two holes, spaced 70 mm apart, in the top of the aluminum holder that houses the DRC Edge II taillight. The wires from the turn signals and taillight will be routed through the small bracket shown inside the orange circle in the photograph below. This bracket also supports the vertical mounting bolt for the rear plastic on my motorcycle.

In the next photograph you can see a small space between the taillight mounting tabs on the rear frame of the motorcycle, and the inner rear fender. The original taillight assembly previously occupied this small space.

I placed the DRC Edge II into the empty slot and aligned the holes. I then inserted the rubber washers and bolts provided with the new taillight. I used the nuts from the original taillight to tightly secure the new taillight in place. I then reattached the rear turn signals to the side tabs. Finally, I routed and reconnected all of the wires.

After testing the tail and brake lights I reinstalled the rear plastic and the seat. In the next photograph please notice how the aluminum holder neatly surrounds the lip of the inner rear fender.

I am very pleased with the function and the appearance of my DRC Edge II taillight assembly. Installation was very easy, and this rugged unit is very securely attached to the frame of my motorcycle. If you own a Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2, I highly recommend the DRC Edge II with the aluminum holder kit. This kit is one of the favorite modifications I have made to my motorcycle.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #2

Nice work! Looks nice and seems functional enough. 'Max Damage' modified his Sierra with LEDs if I remember.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #3

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
Nice work! Looks nice and seems functional enough. 'Max Damage' modified his Sierra with LEDs if I remember.
Thank you! The LEDs seem to be nice and bright, and this unit is very rugged. I am quite pleased with the results.

I do believe that Max did add LEDs to his Zong. If he reads this thread I certainly hope he will respond.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #4

drc edge 2 taillight

spud do you remember what model # this paticular taillight is ,I found several at wheeling cycle supply,the one i found with the aluminum plate mount was for a kawasaki is that it?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #5

Re: drc edge 2 taillight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10
spud do you remember what model # this paticular taillight is ,I found several at wheeling cycle supply,the one i found with the aluminum plate mount was for a kawasaki is that it?
I bought the DRC Edge-2 Tail Light Holder Kit designed for the Suzuki DRZ400S/SM. This kit is currently priced at $60.95, from two different vendors: Wheeling Cycle Supply, and Langston Motorsports.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/s...gory&cat_id=72
http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopp...M_Tail_Lig.htm

You can get the kit with either a red, or smoke colored lens; I bought the red lens.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #6

Might need one of those for the CL70.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #7

drc taillight

I just ordered one today,I am making a spud/zong clone!,even ordered the large jc whitney trunk! My zong will hopefully be fully equipped by spring.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #8

Re: drc taillight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10
I just ordered one today,I am making a spud/zong clone!,even ordered the large jc whitney trunk! My zong will hopefully be fully equipped by spring.
Aha! I see you are Spudifying your Zong.

You made a good choice with both items, Fishman. The DRC Edge 2 tail light not only looks great, but it lightens the rear of the motorcycle quite a bit. The DRC Edge 2 also reduces a lot of vibration when you are riding off road, and it lessens the drain on your electrical system.

The J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk is great for touring; it is also great for shopping around town. I can fit two full bags of groceries into this travel trunk. If you are riding around, and discover a nice trail to explore, you can quickly detach the trunk and hide it in the bushes. Then you can explore the trail, and reattach the trunk when you return to the main road.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #9

Aha! I see you are Spudifying your Zong

That's the funniest, and most descriptive thing, I've heard all day!

Old 01-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc

It almost sounds inappropriate. 8O

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc

It almost sounds inappropriate. 8O
Allen (Kato) just coined the noun, spudomization. I guess the verb would be spudomize.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-18-2010, 03:59 AM   #12

I have also modified my tail light / turn signals. Somehow when my bike was shipped from Texas to Alaska the taillight was shattered and the rear rack was bent. The big square turn signals were quickly busted off due to how far they stuck out from the bike. I bought both the turn signals and tail light from an ebayer in china for $30 shipped.

I mounted the taillight to the the metal part that is under the plastic beaver tail fender /licence plate holder. that piece works great if you bend it to the right angle and the turn signals mount right in the old turn signals mounting holes.

it came out pretty good the turn signals are on rubber stems and are protected by the rack and the taillight has survived falling in to the tire when the bolts to the metal piece loosened up ( it is now welded) i have had problems with things attached to the back breaking due to whiplash from hitting whoops large rock sections way to fast (original license plate bracket, license plate mounting corners, and the bolts loosened twice, once when the rubber buffers wore out and again randomly. lol) :x

Old 01-18-2010, 04:02 AM   #13

maybe this can be called alaskanificated

Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Alaskan
maybe this can be called alaskanificated
Not as much as the studded snows!

Old 08-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #15

I broke down and ordered the Edge. Film at 11.