Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #1

T-Rex Swingarm Stand

My first motorcycle was a street bike, the 1979 Honda Hawk II. This motorcycle had a center stand, which I found indispensable. I not only used the center stand to oil and adjust my drive chain, I frequently parked my motorcycle on the center stand. If the ground were uneven or soft, the center stand made a very stable platform for parking the bike. Also, I could squeeze the motorcycle into some very small parking spaces when it was sitting upright on the center stand.

When I purchased my dual sport motorcycle last year, I did not realize how much I was going to miss having a center stand. However, I believe I have found the perfect solution to my dilemma.

One of the best tools I have ever purchased for my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is the T-Rex swingarm stand. Whether I am oiling my drive chain, removing the rear wheel, or just keeping the motorcycle level while I perform other maintenance, this swingarm stand is a great labor and time saver. The T-Rex swingarm stand is very well built, easy to use, and an excellent bargain. I highly recommend this product; I don't know how I ever got along without it.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #2

I've considered getting myself one these types of stands, but I've never had the real answer to my main question:
What point does it contact and lift on the bike?

I think a lot of sport bikes use "spools", correct?
It looks almost like yours is lifting the axle.

I assume it isn't lifting on the axle if you can remove the rear tire. Is it lifting the swingarm itself?

Any chance of a close-up picture of the contact points on each side of the bike?

Do they make stands that lift different points?
Like one for spools and one for the swingarm, ect...

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd really appreciate it if you could clear that up for me.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 03-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSouth
...What point does it contact and lift on the bike?

I think a lot of sport bikes use "spools", correct?...

I assume it isn't lifting on the axle if you can remove the rear tire. Is it lifting the swingarm itself?...

Do they make stands that lift different points?
Like one for spools and one for the swingarm, ect...
Yes, many sport bikes use "spools." The T-Rex can lift the motorcycle either by the swingarm or by spools! To choose either method you merely rotate the gold-colored lifting arms. Since my dual sport motorcycle does not have spools, I am lifting my bike by the swingarm itself. Below is a link to the site where I bought my T-Rex; it contains pictures and descriptions of the product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-Rex...7004QQtcZphoto

It's a very nice swingarm stand. However, the price has gone up ten or fifteen dollars since I bought it last summer. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #4

Below is a link to the T-Rex manufacturer's home page. Depending on where you live, you might get a better price on shipping.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?...Fcategory%3D45

T-Rex also manufactures motorcycle front stands, and they will give you a discount if you buy both front and rear stands as a pair. If you search the internet you will find a lot of good reviews concerning these motorcycle stands. You will also find that they are competitively priced with the other manufacturers.

As requested, here is another view of the T-Rex stand showing how it supports the swingarm.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-24-2009, 01:32 AM   #5

I have seen center stand for KLRs. Maybe they can be hacked to fit a china bike.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #6

Thanks for the extra pic and information.

Is it much trouble to use without help?
I'm trying to imagine the process in my mind...

Park the bike on the side stand then put the rear stand in position...
stand the bike up and hold it as the stand is lowered to the ground...
or use the stand to lift the bike up straight in the same motion as lowering it (the rear stand) to the ground??

I hope that made some sense.

I'll go check the links and see if they explain it there...but I thought I'd ask it here anyway, as I think it's useful information that others might appreciate.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the extra pic and information. …
You’re welcome, SS.
Quote:
…Is it much trouble to use without help?…
It is very easy for me to use the stand by myself, without any help.
Quote:
…I'm trying to imagine the process in my mind...

Park the bike on the side stand then put the rear stand in position...
stand the bike up and hold it as the stand is lowered to the ground...
or use the stand to lift the bike up straight in the same motion as lowering it (the rear stand) to the ground??

I hope that made some sense. …
Yes, you are very close! Here is the way I use the stand:

First I place a brick or a short piece of board under the side stand to get the motorcycle nearly vertical. This step is not entirely necessary, but it makes the process a little easier.

Then I grab the luggage rack at the rear of my bike with my left hand to steady the motorcycle; I use my right hand to roughly center the arms of the stand under the swingarm.

Then I push down lightly on the handle of the stand until it rotates enough to make contact with the swingarm. Now I tilt the bike the short distance to make it completely vertical. During this process I am simultaneously using my left hand on the motorcycle rack as I am pressing down lightly on the handle of the swingarm stand. As I press lightly on the handle of the stand it also begins to support and steady the bike. It sounds complicated, but it is really very easy and effortless. A small woman could do it easily with a very large motorcycle.

Now the motorcycle is completely off the sidestand; my left hand on the luggage rack, and my right hand pressing lightly on the handle of the stand easily supports the bike!

Lastly, I press the stand handle smoothly to the ground, while still steadying the bike with my left hand. The bike easily pops right up onto the stand as the stand rotates on its wheels underneath the bike.

If you do it once or twice the process becomes very smooth and automatic. Also, if you prefer, you can raise the motorcycle very slowly. It takes very little effort.

My goodness! After writing all this I just remembered I had seen a video on the internet! :roll: Here is a link to a video showing how to use a competitor’s swingarm stand:

Here is another video describing some of the factors you should consider when selecting a swingarm stand:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-25-2009, 01:43 AM   #8

Found this atnd on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...Q5fAccessories

and this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...Q5fAccessories

They look like cheaper quality, but hey! That's y we all ended up here anyway!!Right?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo
...They look like cheaper quality, but hey! That's y we all ended up here anyway!!Right?
Yes, you can find them cheaper, and you can also find them much more expensive!

The most important factor to consider is making sure the stand will work with your current motorcycles, and any future motorcycles you might purchase. Also, how well designed is the stand? How easy is it to use? You must also consider the quality and durability of the wheels, tubing and support arms. I did a lot of research before I bought my swingarm stand, and at the time of purchase I figured the T-Rex was the best bang for the buck. However, that might not still be the case. Times change and products evolve. I encourage everyone to find the best possible deal.

My main intention is to notify other riders on this forum who might not be aware of the convenience afforded by a swingarm stand. I also want to let others know that I was very satisfied with this particular product. However, I am definitely not trying to sell this particular stand.

When it comes to motorcycles, swingarm stands, or anything else, always remember: Your mileage might vary (YMMV), and CYA (cover your arse).

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #10

What is the benefit of a stand over a lift?

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #11

I agree with Spud's choice of the T-Rex model for best bang for the buck. I still think I will study these a little more and then fab something together. I enjoy little welding projects and this would seem to be a perfect excuse to some slobberin.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
I think that this stand would work well on a bike that has a belly fairing, or if you need access under the center of the bike, such as to place an oil pan to drain the bike.

Just my guess... I may look into one of these, but not right now, thanks for sharing though Spud !

Old 03-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote:
That's a very good question. Some people just use a milk crate, or they get a lift stand similar to the one shown in the link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...QQcmdZViewItem

I considered a number of factors before I decided to purchase a swingarm stand instead of a lift stand.

I think a well-designed swingarm stand is more versatile than a lift stand; it will work for a larger variety of motorcycles. When selecting a lift stand you need to be careful to get the correct ground clearance, because it has a limited amount of travel. Dual sport motorcycles and dirt bikes need a lift stand with high ground clearance. A lift stand high enough for a dual sport motorcycle will probably be too high to use with a sport bike. Therefore, you will probably need to buy several different sizes of lift stands for your different motorcycles. Also, a large sport or touring motorcycle will probably be too heavy for most, if not all, lift stands. A well-designed swingarm stand will easily lift and support even the largest motorcycles. Also, if your motorcycle has a skid plate or a fairing attached you might need to remove it from the bike before you can get the motorcycle up on a lift stand; you don’t have this problem with a swingarm stand.

I also think a swingarm stand is more stable than a lift stand; it has a much wider base of support. You can wrestle vigorously with a stubborn rear wheel, et cetera, without worrying whether the bike will fall off the stand. If you wish, you can even sit on the motorcycle while it is mounted on the swingarm stand. Some people like to do this when adjusting the chain tension on the motorcycle. You can quickly check the amount of chain slack with your full weight on the bike; then you can dismount and easily slide the rear wheel forward or back. A motorcycle on a lift stand is too high and unstable for the rider to mount.

Also, a swingarm stand is very easy to use, even for a single person. Even a small rider can quickly and safely lift the bike with a smooth motion in several seconds. In this respect it is very similar to a motorcycle center stand. However, a swingarm stand is easier to use than a center stand, especially when lifting a heavy motorcycle.

Therefore, a well-designed swingarm stand is a convenient, versatile tool that can be used on a large number of motorcycles. Also, a quality swingarm stand will frequently cost less than a quality lift stand. I think a swingarm stand is a wonderful, inexpensive tool to have handy. Once you get one you won’t know how you ever got along without it.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I agree with Spud's choice of the T-Rex model for best bang for the buck. I still think I will study these a little more and then fab something together. I enjoy little welding projects and this would seem to be a perfect excuse to some slobberin.
I think creating and welding your own swingarm stand would be a very fun project! Come up with an improved design, and you just might make some money selling them!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Quote:
I think that this stand would work well on a bike that has a belly fairing, or if you need access under the center of the bike, such as to place an oil pan to drain the bike.

Just my guess... I may look into one of these, but not right now, thanks for sharing though Spud !
Exactly! When the bike is up on a swingarm stand you still have complete access to the entire underside of the motorcycle. Also you don't need to worry about removing or damaging fairings, skid plates, exhaust pipes, or any other part of the motorcycle.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220