Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #1

carb cleaning

ok i just cleaned my carb the instructions said to take off the air duct and spray the throttle plate and throttle body so i took of the air filter and turned the choke on and sprayed inside the carb then i turned it off and just sprayed the little circle plate then i drain everything from out my carb with that little screw to let the gas and stuff out hte carb did i do this right or no

Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #2

Re: carb cleaning

Well....that's "Plan A". You do that, and see if if it solves your problem (usually not).

If that doesn't do it, then you use plan B- the "real" carb clean, where you take the carb off the bike and open it up and spray out everything. This is usually the only way to really clean out the jets and float needle seat, etc.

Do you have a fuel filter on your bike? A lot of Chinky bikes seem to come with no filter. If yours doesn't have one, get one and install it...it'll save you a lot of trouble in the future.

Oh..and the choke should be OFF...(fully open), not on.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #3

Don't forget that the instructions on that can are for a car. There's no throttle plate in your carb and no throttle body either. The plate you can see is the choke flap or butterfly valve.

Those sprays are really to clear up gummed-up passages and things in fuel-injected cars, without dismantling, not really suitable for motorcycle carbs unless you dismantle them and use the spray to clear jets and drillings.

I'm afraid it's KentuckyDonkey's plan "B"...

What is the problem by the way?, with all the posts about big-bore kits I got confused.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy