Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #1

The Sierra that Zongshen Should Have Built!

Well here she is folks. The conversion is complete and I just took it for a short shake down ride. All in all I have to say I am happy with it. It was not too much work. I was able to find most of the parts needed used. Here is what it takes to do this conversion:

TW 200 swingarm, rear wheel, and brake assy ($200 craigslist)

TW200 countershaft.(complete tranny assy from ebay for $80)

TW200 left side crankcase cover assy ($134 new from yamaha and another $20 for the bearing, retainer and seal)

I also used a Veshra TW200 gasket set from dennis kirk ($60)

The Longer TW200 shaft will fit up no problem in the Zong. You can reuse all the gears and bearings in the motor as well on the countershaft. The swingarm will mount up with no problems and the stock shock will fit right up too. Same goes for the brake shaft. Now I replaced the rear wheel bearings and swingarm bearings and brake since I had it apart so that was a little extra too(~$100) and I put the new tires on front and back. Any ways, if anyone has any questions about the bike let me know.

I have been posting in the TW200 forum here:

http://tw200forum.com/forums/61689/ShowPost.aspx

so you can see some of the progress and pictures. This was definitely a fun project. I'll work on getting some pics in the gallery.

Steve

Old 04-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #2

That is great.

Allen

Old 04-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #3

That's pretty sexy.

For the reader's benefit, madbare's photos are on page five of the link he provided.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #4

I checked out the pics. That is sweet. That rear tire looks like it belongs on a tractor. Those lugs are huge.

Allen

Old 04-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #5

Hey guys, as soon as I get approved for the gallery I will put a bunch of pics up there.

From this conversion I can tell you that the engine is identical to the tw except for the flywheel and stator. The left side crankcase cover is not interchangeable due to the countershaft bearing race not being the correct size and no oil return hole. It would be possible for a machine shop to do this, but the new cover from Yamaha was cheap enough. I have also emailed these pictures and info to Zongshen to get their feedback. It would be cool for them to actually make it. That rear tire is a 26x8x14 ATV tire. On the TW forum a lot of people do this type of conversion since there are only a limited amount of 14" rear tires. For the front is a 130/80-18 Maxxis C6006 tire. It fits on the stock Zong rim no problem. I bought the tire changer from harbor freight and is the slickest thing to use. It is pretty easy changing tires with it. Again, if anyone has any specific questions let me know.

Steve

Old 04-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #6

Wow that's quite a beast you have there, madbare. That rear tire is enormous! I'm sure you could just about float over mud and muck with that thing

Old 04-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #7

8) Wow, I can't say that I've quite seen anything like that before!

How does it handle given the width of those tires, my suspicion would be that it would be pretty difficult to lean into a turn. Do you still write it on the road?

I don't think you'll be getting stuck very often. The flotation factor in those tires looks like they be great for sand, even quicksand.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #8

Your Zong looks awesome, Steve! Thank you for taking the time to document all your work on this conversion!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #9

Hey Spud,

Thanks! I did make one more change and that was to pick up a different battery. I picked up a XT7C-A from Batteries Plus for $45. It needs to go in terminal aft as well. It fits no problem, but you do need to take out one of the foam pieces in the battery box. With this battery the stock cables will fit without changing.

Steve

Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #10

Hey Doc,

I haven't ridden it much yet and certainly not on the road. For me this is a learner bike and will be offroad until I can get comfortable. Then I will probably go for my license and take it on the street. From riding it on the dirt, I can tell you this thing is VERY stable. That rear tire is so wide you almost don't need a kickstand...haha

Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbare
Hey Spud,

...I picked up a XT7C-A from Batteries Plus for $45. It needs to go in terminal aft as well. It fits no problem, but you do need to take out one of the foam pieces in the battery box. With this battery the stock cables will fit without changing.

Steve
Thanks for the tip, Steve! I know you are busy with work, but please do give us a ride report when you get the chance.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894