Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #1

carb needle

does anyone know where to get a carb ... im not sure about what its called, it might be a jet needle a needle jet or something but its the actual "needle" int he middle of the carb that goes in the throttle slide. and as far as im able to figure out, this is my issue, i seem to need a more richer one because after putting in a new (or one in the first place basically) air filter i need to richen the mixture. but at the same time i also changed from, the stock carb to a "new" one, i now have a mikuni on there but its a china one and i dont know what model it is, it has not become the stock carb on xmotos bikes which is what mine is but didnt come with it originally. anyways, after adjusting the fuel air mixture screw, it can idle and run perfectly well up to 1/4 throttle which is where the bike cannot run past unless the carb is choked, so as far as i can tell i need a richer needle, does anyone know where i can get one?

Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #2

or from something i just read quick, would putting in a bigger main jet alleviate this problem?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #3

Is the needle position circlip on the lowest groove (richest) now?. Try that followed by jetting up. What size engine is it?, what size of carb?, what others mods have been done, exhaust, air filter, etc
Without knowing the type of carb it will be difficult to specify any spares for it, although these people have spares for virtually any type of carb:

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/

http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor01.html
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 04-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #4

Be careful adjusting that needle. I adjusted mine after I inadvertently upped the jet size by using a rather aggressive torch tip cleaner on my main jet. I found that the bike became a real pig on fuel. I'd suggest getting a larger main jet.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #5

yes its on the lowest clip setting and its a 250cc and a 30mm carb. nothing has been done other than the air filter, but the exhaust is basically an open tube, but thats how it came stock. but the original airbox it basically allowed to airflow at all, so basically when i put on the air filter it actually let in air. and the only thing i casn jet up is the pilot jet before the needle jet, then the only thing is the neddle jet

Old 04-30-2009, 04:24 AM   #6

Be good to know the make of bike and whether it's a CV type carburettor. These don't take kindly to messing about with their air boxes.
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 05-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #7

the bike is a baja x250 (which is actually an xmotos something 250). I have the oiriginal carb with the bike but i lost the fuel/air mixture screw, so i got another (now i actually just recieved another one so i have three total but the third one has a cbale op choke and a hotstart pump i think and mine has neither). it is not a cv carb it is a slide carb (controlled directly with thropttle cable not vaccum) the original carb says that its a KF PZ30, the second one i got just says mikuni on it but i can divulge a model number, and the third one is a sheng wey PD3

Old 05-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #8

actually i dont know if it is a hotstart pump, but there is a pump like device on the bottom of the float bowl, molded in with it, which seems to pessurize the bowl does anyone know what this is?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #9

Not sure what the pump thing is. I think your solution may be to install a larger main jet.

This requires removing the bowl and unscrewing the jet from the bottom of the carb and installing a larger one.

Usually they are stamped with the size on them. Could be 98, 102 etc.

Take a look to see what you have. With the air filter/exhaust you have likely it is way to small and you are not putting enough fuel into the carb.

Allen

Old 05-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezgoon
there is a pump like device on the bottom of the float bowl, molded in with it, which seems to pessurize the bowl does anyone know what this is?
I think it's an accelerator pump. It's meant to squirt a jet of neat gas into the venturi to make acceleration snappier and reduce or eliminate throttle lag.

There's a thread here about it:

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7826
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 05-03-2009, 03:00 AM   #11

yes that is exactly it.

the main jets vary the original i put in a 95 the second has a 100 and the third has a 98, i havnt tried the third one (with the accelerator pump) yet but it seems like they all have the same need thicknesses but they are all different needle lengths, and the second one seems to have the smallest needle jet, so if i try a diff needle jhet or the third carb, it might work, and the original has the longest jet needle, the third one has the second longest (middle) and the second carb has the shortest.

if i listed all of the sizes and parts for com,p[arison would that help cause i wrote it all down? i also have diff pics of all three if that would help at all...