Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #1

Newbie needing help (UPDATE 06/03 Problem found)

Great Forum, I've been lurking for awhile. Last week I ordered a HSUN GY200 on Tuesday, Got it Friday. I put it together and it didn't run. After I figured the fuel hose was too long and kinked I cut it and the bike ran great. Took it out and put 20 trail miles on it. Came back and washed off the mud. Here's where I need the help. It hasn't run since. It isn't getting a spark. I checked the coil and it it getting 1.50 volts whether I have the kill switch on or not. It goes up to 3 volts at times but no spark comes out of the spark plug wire. Do I have a shorted coil and just need another coil? Is it possibly a kill switch or something else. I'm usually fairly logical but can't move on at this point.

Help is appreciated and thanks for the good info.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #2

I am new here got same bike as you. had mine out in rain never hosed off. Never had issues like yours. I think something just got wet maybe your kill switch is grounded. Someone will help you on here very nice forum and people

Old 05-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #3

To me, the operative statement was "whether I have the kill switch on or not".

Remember that the WD in WD-40 stands for water displacement. Hose the ignition and kill switches with the stuff and retry. Even if it doesn't start, I'll bet that the voltage readings at the coil change.

BTW, it's wise to invest in an exhaust plug for washing your bike. I bought an FMF plug with aflag on it at my local Honda dealer for $6. They're universal.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
To me, the operative statement was "whether I have the kill switch on or not".

Remember that the WD in WD-40 stands for water displacement. Hose the ignition and kill switches with the stuff and retry. Even if it doesn't start, I'll bet that the voltage readings at the coil change.

BTW, it's wise to invest in an exhaust plug for washing your bike. I bought an FMF plug with aflag on it at my local Honda dealer for $6. They're universal.

Cheers!
Those are both very good tips, W&G! I am going to look for an exhaust plug tomorrow.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the good advice. Can anyone tell me what the voltage going into the coil should be?

Thanks again.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #6

Make sure to check your electrical connections, not just the bullet style but the larger multi pin plastic connectors under the seat. I had a problem with mine, it turned out that when it was assembled one of the connectors inside the plastic block must not have lined up and it was pushed back out of the plastic enough to cause a bad connection.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #7

Under my seat on the "driver's side" there were two black mystery boxes that where just kind of hanging out that had all kinds of electrical doo dads going in and out. They were only held on by a glorified rubber band. Zip ties work great for keeping wires together in a way they won't work loose once you figure out where your connection is bad. I agree that you have a ground somewhere, but look at the bright side - at least it is constant and not one of the floating type that takes 10 years to find 8)
Daddy

Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #8

Thanks for the help so far. I still have no fire to the plug. I checked the kill switch and traced current going into the ignition switch but I'm unsure if I'm getting power from the ignition switch to the kill switch. Maybe it is as simple as the ignition switch it not good.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 AM   #9

That's a good place to start But, if your lights and all work , odds are the problem isn't in the ignition switch. The bad part to me is that even after the the bike dried out completely, you're still apparently shorted.
I'm hoping its not a burnt out cdi.

Seer
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #10

Thanks SeerAtlas and nicely put so as not to make me feel like an idiot. I am very frustrated by the situation. The bike certainly isn't wired in a way that makes sense to me. Is the CDI one of the black boxes under the seat?

Thanks again.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #11

Yes the CDI is on the seat. It is one of the black boxes and has one connector going to it. About 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. Should be about 5 wires into it too.

New CDIs can be found on ebay for $15.

Allen

Old 05-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #12

One thing to check would be under the gas tank for melted wires on the engine. I know on my bikes they all needed wires pulled back and zip tied or the would have melted and shorted out.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #13

Thanks for the tip alaskandad. I've been resisting taking off the gas tank but sounds like I need to. I've got the bike about 1/3 taken apart anyway. I've been doing searches of this forum and finding good info on wiring and cdi stuff. It's frustrating when I only have about 45 min free time a day to work on it and I'd rather be riding it.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #14

UPDATE:
Since the bike is still under warranty from Bike2go I called them and talked to Manny the mechanic. Once he was satisfied I had the kill switch in the right position he immediately said it was the CDI. He ordered it and it has been sent to me. I will post once I get it and get it put on. Thanks again for all the help. I hope my next post will be saying that was the problem. Great forum.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #15

COOL!

Who would have thought. The warantee worked! Most of us have so little faith in it we don't even go there. :roll: