Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #1

Wheel bearing went out

Just got the right parts from Bruce at E.J. for the counter sprocket on the bike. Went for a 30mi ride when about 10mi from the house the rear wheel is shaken all over the place. Limp it home at 15mph to find the left side wheel bearing shot. Pop the right one real easy but the race on the bad one is frozen in place.About a hour later minus lots of finger skin got it to break in pieces. NAPA has to order it a #6302 each $16.00 Doesnt that seam alot? Even though the right bearing is ok I will replace it also. The Roketa now has 2652mi on it. Also the installed clutch spring mod isnt working that good anymore. Slipping. Going to call Barnett and get some stiffer ones.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #2

Re: Wheel bearing went out

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseck
...NAPA has to order it a #6302 each $16.00 Doesnt that seam alot? Even though the right bearing is ok I will replace it also...
Yes, I think $16 is a very high price for a 6302 bearing. If you are interested in a better price, read the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...wheel+bearings

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #3

Glad you are OK, that was a scary one. I'll add that to the list of CB things to worry about... :roll:

Old 05-12-2009, 01:53 AM   #4

Three things to never go cheap on, Brakes and bearings and fluids.....But that's just me.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Glad you are OK, that was a scary one. I'll add that to the list of CB things to worry about... :roll:
Yes! Please excuse me for forgetting to mention that I am also very glad you were able to ride it out! :oops:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Three things to never go cheap on, Brakes and bearings and fluids.....But that's just me.
Very wise words; I agree completely. In particular, regarding this incident, I would certainly never get cheap wheel bearings. I have replaced all of my original wheel bearings with high quality bearings manufactured by SKF and Sapporo Precision Bearing companies.

For that reason, I once again highly recommend the vendor mentioned in the following link.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...wheel+bearings

From this vendor I got nineteen quality SKF and EZO wheel bearings for $34, delivered. I now have a good supply of quality wheel bearings on hand. I religiously check my wheel bearings every time I remove either wheel. Since I now have a good supply of quality wheel bearings on hand, I will not hesitate to change them out if they exhibit even the slightest wear. If you order from the vendor I refer to in the link above, you can probably get eighteen quality wheel bearings delivered to your door for the price of two bearings purchased from a local shop.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-13-2009, 01:19 AM   #6

I gotcha Spud :wink: Your brand is good at a fair price.

But I was hoping to curb anyone from thinking they can go find Bargain bearings and be fine. The chinese bearing went out...So why replace it with another one was kinda my point. Also how much do You save when You need to keep replacing them? I sell bearings and all the other stuff and I hate it when people ask if that's the cheapest price. I mean It is only Your brakes...Why would You want to get a good set for petes sake My made in the USA bearing sells for more, and the made in Canada ones do also, But I would trust them more also. These are all parts that are keeping Your skin on Your back 8O , Think twice before getting the bottom of the barrell parts. ok I ranted

Old 05-13-2009, 02:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
I gotcha Spud :wink: Your brand is good at a fair price.

But I was hoping to curb anyone from thinking they can go find Bargain bearings and be fine...These are all parts that are keeping Your skin on Your back 8O , Think twice before getting the bottom of the barrell parts. ok I ranted
I am truly glad you responded as you did, AZ. I can see where my comments might have been misinterpreted, and I certainly do not recommend that riders buy inferior bearings. Quite to the contrary, I agree with you completely. Safety should always be the primary concern, and it is very unwise to buy inferior wheel bearings.

However, there is a difference between "cheap" and inexpensive. SKF bearings have a well deserved reputation for excellence. The EZO bearings manufactured by Sapporo Bearing Corporation are also noted for their excellence. I am very pleased that I discovered both of these quality wheel bearings for such an exceptional price.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 AM   #8

HA Once again Spud You prove Your salt
It all about looking out for the other two wheelers

Old 05-13-2009, 05:39 AM   #9

I went ahead and got the bearings from NAPA only because they could get them the next day and I really wanted to ride this weekend. I agree you dont want to be cheap on wheel bearings if you can help it. I will most likely change the fronts out very soon as a front wheel bearing failure at 60mph would be serious road rash.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #10

The main problem with the wheel bearings in the Chinese bikes is lack of grease. When I put my GY5 together from the crate I pulled the seals off the bearings to check for grease and found just a tiny dab in each one.

Q

Old 05-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #11

Q, I'm with you. While setting up Waldo, I pulled the axles and took a look and found only a dab on the front axle, absolutely none on the swingarm, and a moderate amount in the rear. Also, as someone suggested i took a look at the headset but found that one fully packed with grease, so go figure.

Anyway, initial setup appears to be EVERYTHING on these bikes, and I would highly recommend that the repeated recommendations to lube then loctite everything be followed to the letter.

Seer
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #12

Quote:
I went ahead and got the bearings from NAPA only because they could get them the next day and I really wanted to ride this weekend...
I don't blame you; I get serious withdrawal symptoms if my bike is unavailable for even a few days!
Quote:
...I agree you dont want to be cheap on wheel bearings if you can help it. I will most likely change the fronts out very soon as a front wheel bearing failure at 60mph would be serious road rash.
Amen! I encourage everyone to check out the quality and price of the bearings I recommended in my previous post. If you know the size of your bearings, and can wait about a week, you can get a lifetime supply of wheel bearings for the cost of two purchased locally. It is very comforting to have a supply of good wheel bearings on hand. Every time you remove a wheel, check the condition of the wheel bearings. If in doubt, replace them. It is a simple, quick job if you have the proper tools and a handy supply of quality bearings.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #13

There is also alot to be said about trying to keep purchases local to help the local economy.Even if it slightly more $. :idea:

Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism1
There is also alot to be said about trying to keep purchases local to help the local economy.Even if it slightly more $. :idea:
Of course, that decision is up to the individual. We could all buy Harley Davidson motorcycles, also. However, most of us bought communist Chinese motorcycles, instead.

A lot of China Riders are notoriously cheap; we consistently look for the best bargains. If someone wishes to buy locally, I support him fully. However, if a rider is less reluctant to inspect and replace his wheel bearings because he paid $1.30/bearing instead of $16.00/bearing, I think that is a good thing, also. :idea: Purely from a safety perspective, I think it is a good idea to have a supply of quality wheel bearings available. Perhaps we can support the local economy in other ways.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #15

I would have bought an american bike if they made what I wanted. No 200cc harley dual sports around.

Since that left buying an import I thought I might as well go Chinese.

I like to support local businesses, but they don't always have what I want or the price is way too high.

I buy mostly used stuff so craigslist and ebay are my friend. My Dad is driving my $150 Mazda truck home right now. 8O That's right driving it.

Allen