Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #1

My Custom Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: My custom 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mods :

MOTOLED Edge-2 LED Brake Light/Holder

MOTOLED 601 LED Blinkers Front/Rear

Renthal Handle Bar Pad

MSR Shorty Mirrors

FMF Turbine Core2 Universal Muffler

NGK Iridium DR8EIX

Moved the C-clip on the needle down 1 notch (second from bottom towards pointed end)

Jetted to 136

Opened up air box

Custom Paint/Graphix

Removed rear rack, passenger foot pegs, plastic engine skid, and other little stuff.

Photo's
(not finished yet, work in progress )

And for everyone who say's " it's still orange, where's the custom paint ? " here is two comparison photos that show what it is from the factory (handguard) to what I changed it to. The factory's orange is too much of a neon orange, and COMPLETELY FLAT, there is no shine at all. I primed, then used automotive paint (PPG) and clearcoat on the plastics, with a WAY better looking orange. Also redid the black part as well. Now it is just the same as a car, if I get a light/medium scratch I can just buff/polish it out. look how much of a shine there is now

Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #2

Nobody else has one, You're more of a rebel than harley riders
Got me curious how it looks.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Got me curious how it looks.
That makes 2 of us.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #4

cant wait to see the pics of your bike. i own a 2006 black sierra and i have been pretty happy with it . adjusting the chain frequently gets old but oh well i have 2800 miles and so far so good. anywys cant wait to see it. and hear how much it improves the power.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #5

Re: My Custom Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
...I recommend bleeding the front brake system on the Zong. From the eye sight it was brown and I know DOT 4 should not be brown (reason I changed/flushed it) Even though i only have barley 100 miles. bleed it out until there is clear brake fluid leaving the zerk on the caliper. WHAT A DIFFERENCE it made in the braking force, let alone should make things last longer...
Thanks for the tip, Rider! I will add this item to my maintenance list.
Quote:
...went with the FMF Universal http://www.bikebandit.com/product/12137 as I have owned FMF in the past and know their a reliable GOOD product. We will see if I need to up the jets in the carb for this, if so, I already have them. Exhaust is supposed to be here Friday and I will get it on over the Memorial Day weekend, and I WILL take pic's of it FINALLY ( I know I have been letting Spud down :oops. Looks like a completely different bike now though, everyone that look's at it swears it's a 5-7k bike 8O , also because nobody around here has even heard of Zong before (i had not either until a couple weeks ago )
All right!!! Please do post those photos; I can't wait to see your custom paint job!

Also, I am eager to hear about your FMF Turbine Core2 silencer. I have also decided to replace the exhaust system on my Zong. I am wavering back and forth trying to decide which silencer to buy. Originally, I was going to get the FMF Turbine Core2. However, I am now considering the FMF Powercore 4 with the Q (quiet) insert. I know the stock Powercore 4 would be too loud to suit me, but the Q insert should make the noise acceptable. I am very eager to see photos and hear all about your Turbine Core2 installation!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the GREAT reply's guy's, I updated it with some photo's, will take better one's when I get the other goodies on :twisted:

Old 05-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #7

Boy I like that! You do good paint work. Is is a hobby or profession for you? I have a GS 750 that can use a repaint... :idea:

Old 05-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Boy I like that! You do good paint work. Is is a hobby or profession for you? I have a GS 750 that can use a repaint... :idea:
Thank you , yes I have been into custom hot rods and race cars my whole life, and a head autobody painter for 5 years.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #9

Rider, you did a beautiful job! I bet nobody will believe you if you tell them you bought a $900 motorcycle! The paint job is superb, and the Edge II taillight and turn signals look great! Take good care of your engine, and that tough little 167FML powerplant will last you a very long time.

I can't wait to see the new exhaust and the painted wheels! Thank you for posting the great photos!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Rider, you did a beautiful job! I bet nobody will believe you if you tell them you bought a $900 motorcycle! The paint job is superb, and the Edge II taillight and turn signals look great! Take good care of your engine, and that tough little 167FML powerplant will last you a very long time.

I can't wait to see the new exhaust and the painted wheels! Thank you for posting the great photos!

Spud
Thanks Spud, and your definitely right about that, nobody I tell can believe I only paid that much for a brand new motorcycle, they are blow away. A couple of people have said "why are you fixing up that ?". The way I see it, yea it's only a $900 dollar bike, but why not modify it a little bit and make it look that much better. and I don't have the money to go and blow 5-7k on a top of the line bike, but that doesn't mean I cant' have a badass looking bike right ? :twisted:

Old 05-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider

Spud
Thanks Spud, and your definitely right about that, nobody I tell can believe I only paid that much for a brand new motorcycle, they are blow away. A couple of people have said "why are you fixing up that ?". The way I see it, yea it's only a $900 dollar bike, but why not modify it a little bit and make it look that much better. and I don't have the money to go and blow 5-7k on a top of the line bike, but that doesn't mean I cant' have a badass looking bike right ? :twisted:
You are absolutely correct! With the $3,000 you saved you can customize this bike, insure it, maintain it, and ride it for years! The ZS 200GY-2 is a wonderful little motorcycle! Indeed, as my signature states, "there's nothing wrong if you own a Zong!"

P.S. I really like the MSR shorty mirrors and everything else you have done with this motorcycle!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #12

Looks sharp!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #13

I got the FMF exhaust installed over the weekend, took less than 2 hr's, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE 8O !!!! Now it sounds like it should, not to loud but definitely make's it sounds like a REAL bike, The benefits were not just sounds either, now it seems to idle so much smoother and the throttle response was GREATLY increased from what it was before, as well as power. Seems alot more instant power with no hesitation at all, just barley have to tap the throttle. Also, after you fully twist the throttle and let go, it does not sit for a second (high rpm's ) and then go back to normal like it use to, maybe because no restricted back pressure ? And while cruising at 50 + it seem's so much smoother, but maybe that's just me ? Doesn't sound like the engine is trying as hard as before though. I also did not have to adjust the jets in the carb at all, seems to run perfect (but I did already move the c-clip down one on the needle). I did have to slightly adjust down the idle

I also replaced the spark plug (NGK Iridium) at the same time, so maybe that contributed to some of this as well. When I changed the spark plug it was brown just as it should be , not black or hazy white. I only have 100 miles on it, but thought that looked like a good sign. It also seems to start over SOO much easier now, 1 kick or first tap on the starter, where before it would take a few try's.

By far the best mod on the bike so far is the FMF exhaust, I would recommend this to ANYONE as their first mod, wish I had done it sooner !!! I will upload some pics soon.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #14

Did you have to weld or rejet?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Did you have to weld or rejet?
No welding needed, just cut the pipe's to length, and used a ATV exhaust mounting pipe clamp. Fit's like factory with zero air leaks. Did not have to rejet at all (as mentioned earlier) I did already have the c-clip moved down 1 notch.