Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #1

Tail light doesn't work

When I got my bike it had a burnt out headlight, but I didn't notice that the tail light was also not working. So I replaced the headlight and it works fine.
But I pulled the tail light bulb and it isn't burnt, so I have a problem elsewhere.

I have a "Huawin" 200 enduro. It has the lifan motor - it's is very similar to the "Tank" 200 dual sports that were being sold. Does anyone know of common problems with lighting for these? Is there a voltage regulator for the just the lights? I'm going to check over the wiring today, but I thought I would check with you guys to see if there were some things to check out first.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #2

I had the same problem and I found a junction under the seat where the connector had come loose. I would trace the wire from the light and check the connection.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #3

OK, so I checked all of the wiring connections and everything is hooked up, except I do have a six prong connector with nothing plugged in near the back where the tail light and turn signal wires connect, but the wires connected to the tail light and turn signals are plugged in. I'm not sure what the empty connector is for. I'm having problems with my electric start also, and it seems related. Sometimes the starter will work, but most of the time I hit the start button and it just clicks and does nothing. It seems to me like a fuse or relay is bad in the wiring somewhere, but I'm not sure what to look for really. Any ideas?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
The 'click' is indicative of a battery/motor/relay or connection/grounding issue. Get out your meter.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 06-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #5

Agree with liverchip. Inspect the main earth wire from the battery negative to chassis ground. Check that battery connections are clean and tight and the bolted-up joint on the main chassis ground.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 06-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #6

I cleaned and tightened the battery connections...the ground wire to the frame was very loose. Now the starter is fine.

I found that a wire had broken loose from the tail light socket, so I soldered it back on and the tail light works again.

The brake light is going in and out. At first when I put it all back together the brake light worked with both the foot and hand levers. Then I started it up again a little while later and the tail light worked but the brake light didn't come on now. I re-checked all the connections and everything seemed good. Should I still be looking at a bad rectifier or some fuse?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #7

Whatever it is it's not the regulator/rectifier. I'd be looking at the socket and or the bulb(s) themselves. Good work so far, you're almost there!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #8

I would check the bulb first and then proceed to check the switches. My rear brake switch failed.

Allen

Old 06-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #9

I replaced the bulb and it does the same thing. I have a tail light, but no brake light comes on. I checked all the wires leading from the tail light to the main wiring harness, then up to the front brake lever. Everything seems good there. Is there a brake light switch? If so, is there one for each lever? Neither one makes the brake light come on. Anyone have to replace a brake light switch before? Is it common to fail? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #10

The rear brake switch needed adjusting on mine when it was new. Look at the rear brake lever and follow it back from the toe end. About halfway back is the switch. Manually activate the switch and see if it is just a simple adjustment needed.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #11

I tried working the rear switch manually and no luck. The front brake doesn't turn on the light either.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #12

With neither working I am suspecting a wire pinched or something.

Allen

Old 06-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #13

time for the meter. find the wire going to the brake side of the bulb and check for voltage. I suspect you'll find a ground. time to trace that particular wire since neither switch will activate the bulb.

seer
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the tips. I guess it's time to get out the meter and check everything.