Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #1

Zongshen 200GY-2 employs a Kawasaki Eliminator 125 Rear Hub

As I was teaching a motorcycle rider safety class last weekend, I made a surprising discovery. The Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 motorcycle appears to use the same rear hub, rim, cushion drive assembly, rear sprocket, and hub brake as the 2009 Kawasaki BN125A9F Eliminator 125 motorcycle! However, the spoke hole orientation on the rear hub, and the rear spokes themselves, appear to be slightly different on the two motorcycles.

Compare photographs of the two rear wheels. First, here is a photograph of the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 rear wheel.

Next, here is a photograph of the Kawasaki Eliminator 125 rear wheel.

Also, Zong owners can compare the rear wheel on their motorcycles to the parts microfiche for the 2009 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 at the following website.

http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/...6/default.aspx

Therefore, the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 employs the same rear sprocket as the Kawasaki Eliminator 125 motorcycle. This rear sprocket is JTR 468, which comes in a variety of sizes. However, I recommend that Zong owners stick with the largest size, the 46-tooth sprocket. Based upon this discovery, I have updated the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 sprocket information contained in the following thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7565

It is nice to know that yet another component of the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 motorcycle is based upon another popular, Japanese motorcycle in current production.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #2

Spud what diameter in the kawasaki wheel? Is it the same as stock zong?

Good to know that you can go down to kawasaki for brake parts if needed. I am sure that it may not be the only kawasaki with the hub/wheel.

Allen

Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger

Good to know that you can go down to kawasaki for brake parts if needed. I am sure that it may not be the only kawasaki with the hub/wheel.

Allen
That's a good question.

Maybe someday Zong will come out with a more dirt oriented bike, more like the HSUN. I really think the Zong is a better made bike than the HSUNs, but the HSUN remains a better bike for the dirtier ones amongst us. A dirty Zong would be the cats meow though.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Spud what diameter in the kawasaki wheel? Is it the same as stock zong?...
Yes, the Kawaskai Eliminator 125 rear wheel is the same size as the stock Zong rear wheel, 130/90-15.

Quote:
...Good to know that you can go down to kawasaki for brake parts if needed. I am sure that it may not be the only kawasaki with the hub/wheel.

Allen
Indeed, this is a very nice thing to know! The stock Zong employs an airbox, carburetor, and engine that use replacement parts from the 2009 Yamaha TW200 motorcycle. The stock Zong can also use the exhaust headers and mufflers designed for several current, or recently produced, Yamaha motorcycles. The stock Zong employs a frame which can accomodate a swingarm conversion from either a 2009 Yamaha TW200, or a 2007 Yamaha XT225 motorcycle. Now it appears that the stock Zong can also employ the entire rear wheel, rear hub, and rear brake components from the 2009 Kawasaki Eliminator 125.

As has been noted by several others, the stock Zong is made from quality components. It is even nicer to know that many of these components can be replaced from currently produced, popular Japanese motorcycles.

As a street bike, the Zong does not have any glaring defects; in fact, I consider it a very good street bike. In stock form, the Zong can also perform light to medium trail duty. The Zong's main shortcoming as a dual sport motorcycle is its unusual rear tire size, and the resulting lack of choice in rear tires for trail riding.

Once again, I caution everyone that the only choice in dirt or dual sport tires for the Zong's rear wheel is the Kingstone 130/90-15 dual sport tire. This tire is currently on back order, with an unknown arrival date! :roll: If you want to ride the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 on the trails, stock up on the Kingstone 130/90-15 dual sport tires, if, and when, they arrive on the proverbial "slow boat from China!"

Of course, if you don't want to be limited in your selection of dual sport rear tires, you can lace an 18-inch rim to the Zong's rear hub. However, I believe the best option is to give the Zong a Yamaha swingarm conversion.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Quote:

Allen
That's a good question.

Maybe someday Zong will come out with a more dirt oriented bike, more like the HSUN. I really think the Zong is a better made bike than the HSUNs, but the HSUN remains a better bike for the dirtier ones amongst us. A dirty Zong would be the cats meow though.
I have not rode the HSUN, Doc, but I am sure you are correct. In stock form, the HSUN is a better dirt bike. However, after a Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion, my Zong is a much improved trail bike.

I would enjoy riding with you some time. It would be a very interesting experiment to compare the performance of the HSUN and the modified Zong; perhaps you and I will get a chance to go riding together at some future date.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #6

The Zong/Kaw rear sprocket is equivalent to JT Sprocket #JTR468.46.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html...el_uid=4903&p=

In addition to the stock, JTR 468, rear sprocket, the Zong can also employ the JTR 471, rear sprocket! However, this sprocket requires a bit of grinding, and the larger size sprockets require you to reverse the rear chain guard.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/61.0.html...rtnr=JTR471,50

The only difference between these two sprockets is the smaller diameter of the center hole for the JTR 471, which is 64 mm. Therefore, you need to trim either the Zongshen, sprocket coupler assembly, or the sprocket itself.

The largest JRT 468 sprocket has 46 teeth, and I do not recommend anything smaller. In fact, the stock gearing on the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle is 14T/50T. Since the Zongshen 167FML engine has the same gearbox as the TW200, I think it is wise for Zong owners to replicate the stock, TW200 gear ratio. Therefore, I suggest Zong owners switch from the stock, 15T countershaft sprocket, to a 14T countershaft sprocket. If you don't mind doing a little trimming, , I also suggest Zong owners switch from the stock, 46T rear sprocket, to a 50T rear sprocket.

In addition, if a Zong owner converts to an 18-inch, rear wheel, he will certainly benefit from using a sprocket larger than 46 teeth. If he is using an 18-inch rear wheel along with a 46T rear sprocket, the Zong owner should employ a 12T countershaft sprocket, the smallest available, to achieve the proper gear ratio. Fortunately, the JTR 471 sprocket is available with 48 teeth, and 50 teeth! This 50T sprocket is also available as Sunstar sprocket #2-214450.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/61.0.html...rtnr=JTR471,50

Using the 50T rear sprocket, the Zong owner with an 18-inch rear wheel can install a larger, 13T countershaft sprocket, and still keep the same gear ratio. In addition, the JRT 471, rear sprocket was employed by the Kawasaki, KD125 motorcycle from 1977-1979. Kawasaki also offers this sprocket with 54 teeth (part #42041-147), and 58 teeth (part #42041-148)!

http://www.motogrid.com/pages/parts/...3/default.aspx

Using the 54T rear sprocket from Kawasaki, the Zong owner with an 18-inch rear wheel can install a 14T countershaft sprocket. Using the 58T rear sprocket from Kawasaki, the Zong owner with an 18-inch rear wheel can install a 15T countershaft sprocket! Larger countershaft sprockets last longer than smaller ones. In addition, the larger countershaft sprockets are more widely available from a greater number of manufacturers.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7565

Finally, using the larger, JTR 471/KD125 sprocket also affords the Zong owner greater options to gear his bike even lower for trail riding.

If you convert your Zong to a custom, 18-inch rear wheel, I strongly encourage you to also switch to the larger rear sprockets. The largest, 58T sprocket from Kawasaki is best, but it is more expensive. Fortunately, the cushion drive in the Zong’s rear hub allows your rear sprockets to last a very long time. However, if you want to spend less, you can also get the 50T, JTR 471, rear sprocket.

Important Note

Forum member Fishman10 has discovered the JRT 471 sprocket requires some trimming before it can be used. Please read the post below describing the necessary modification!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #7

I wish to extend special thanks to forum member Fishman10 who discovered the JTR 471 sprocket requires a slight modification before it can be used on the Zong.

I have measured my Zong sprockets, and they match up with the dimensions listed for the JTR 468 sprocket shown below.

As you can see in the photograph below, the Zongshen sprocket coupling assembly has a center hub much smaller than the sprocket; the center hub measures 56mm in diameter.

However, as you can see in the photo above, six small splines extend radially from the hub toward each bolt! These splines create a perimeter to stabilize the sprocket, and have a diameter of 68mm. As you can see in the diagram below, the JTR 471 sprocket is exactly the same as the stock, JTR 468 sprocket, with one exception. The center hole of the sprocket has a diameter of 64mm, which is 4mm smaller than the JTR 468.

Therefore, Zong owners need to trim 2mm of material to make the JTR 471 sprocket fit the Zongshen sprocket coupler assembly. You have two choices where to trim. For the first option, you can trim six, 2mm x 8mm notches near the sprocket hole on every JTR 471 sprocket you wish to use. For the second option, you can trim 2mm from each of the six splines on the Zongshen sprocket coupler assembly, and you will not need to trim the JTR 471 sprockets. Since the sprocket coupler assembly is made of aluminum, it should be easier to trim than the steel sprocket.

I imagine you could trim the splines with either a file, or an angle grinder; perhaps you could use a Dremel tool. Of course, a machinist could easily trim 2mm from the splines on a lathe.

If you trim the Zongshen sprocket coupler assembly, you will probably still be able to use the stock, JTR 468 sprockets. However, if the JTR 468 sprockets need the center splines for stability, you could either use 2mm shims, or you could buy a new sprocket coupler assembly. If you can't acquire a Zongshen sprocket coupler assembly, Kawasaki part #42033-1202 might be the equivalent.

http://www.cycledesignonline.com/fic...2007&fveh=8445

Trimming either the sprockets, or the splines, should be less expensive than ordering custom sprockets. However, since the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 employs the same rear sprocket as the Kawasaki BN125 Eliminator, Zong owners can order custom, aluminum sprockets, as large as 71 teeth, from PMP Sprockets.

http://www.pmpsprockets.com/inc/sdetail/3227

Also, please be advised; if you switch to a sprocket larger than 46 teeth, you will also need to reverse the Zong's rear chain guard.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=9634

If you wish neither to trim, nor to order a custom sprocket, you have yet another option. You can use the stock, 46T rear sprocket with a 12T countershaft sprocket; this combination will give you the same gear ratio as the 50T rear sprocket, with a 13T countershaft sprocket.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220