Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

LIFAN LF200GY-5, Speedometer

Hi All

I have the typical Lifan Speedometer/Tachometer unit on my bike. The Speedo needle has always been pretty erratic and now it seems a little worse (I never would have thought I could go 150 KPM coming up my street). I recall reading someone suggesting spraying contact cleaner on the area where the speedo needle picks up it's rotational input. I think this may be a magnetic field which sets the needle position.

Has anyone taken one of these units apart? Can you get to the inside of the speedometer?

Thanks all
Leo

Old 07-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #2

I can't help you on that speedometer, but I would go to Wallmart and buy one off the shelf for 10 bucks. They work well and are dead on acurate, tells you the time and keeps actual mileage driven.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:14 AM   #3

Re: LIFAN LF200GY-5, Speedometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Hi All

I have the typical Lifan Speedometer/Tachometer unit on my bike. The Speedo needle has always been pretty erratic and now it seems a little worse (I never would have thought I could go 150 KPM coming up my street). I recall reading someone suggesting spraying contact cleaner on the area where the speedo needle picks up it's rotational input. I think this may be a magnetic field which sets the needle position.

Has anyone taken one of these units apart? Can you get to the inside of the speedometer?

Thanks all
Leo
They work by having a fine air gap between two plates, when one turns the air between them turns the other (sort of like a torque converter in an automatic transmission, but without the oil). If any dirt, water, grease, etc... gets in between the plates it will screw with the reading.

You can't take the speedo all the way apart and expect it to work ever again. Just take the housing off, you'll see the plates I'm talking about. Flush them really well with contact cleaner and it should clear up the erratic speedo.
I've had to clean mine a couple of times (stupid creeks!) and this always gets it back on track.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #4

Hi Knothead

Thanks for your help. I will get some contact cleaner and give it a try.

Cheers
Leo