Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

good news and bad news for zong owners

well heres the news
the good: the tires for the serrias are in
the bad: due to a mistake somewhere in china i got a bunch of 21" and 18" tires but i do have 2 sets front and rear of the correct size.
8O BUT WAIT, IT GETS WORSE 8O
first i want to apologize and let everyone know im not jacking the price up and i dont want to think zong is either but i dont know. first off i do know they were sent by air (why? smart move huh) there are less than 20 sets in the US. the price $275 a pair plus shipping. im sorry im going to see what i can do to change the price they may go down and im looking for a alternate source now. any help anyone can give would be appreciated. just for refrance manny suggested $300 and i make more selling dunlops, cheng shen at a lot less money. again im sorry worse case i keep a set for me, but if anyone still wants a set pm me with the zip and ill try to figure out shipping
i would like to ask another question, would this lead you away from buying a serria :?:

'
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 08-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #2

$275 a set?

One of the biggest reasons I didn't want a Zongshen was the oddball tire size. I don't care how well the bike is made, you can't ride it without tires.
My Lifan cost less, I can get tires for it anywhere and I would go head to head with any "Zong" for reliability and parts availability.

I hope that doesn't sound to harsh. It's just that for the last few months the Sierra has been talked up so much on this board... to me the tire size has always been a fatal flaw. I just can't see recommending the bike to anyone because of it.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
$275 a set?

One of the biggest reasons I didn't want a Zongshen was the oddball tire size. I don't care how well the bike is made, you can't ride it without tires.
My Lifan cost less, I can get tires for it anywhere and I would go head to head with any "Zong" for reliability and parts availability.

I hope that doesn't sound to harsh. It's just that for the last few months the Sierra has been talked up so much on this board... to me the tire size has always been a fatal flaw. I just can't see recommending the bike to anyone because of it.

???? There is LOTS more choice's on tires for the Zong, what are you talking about? This is only for those ching'a'shin's

Old 08-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #4

Re: good news and bad news for zong owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
well heres the news
the good: the tires for the serrias are in
the bad: due to a mistake somewhere in china i got a bunch of 21" and 18" tires but i do have 2 sets front and rear of the correct size.
8O BUT WAIT, IT GETS WORSE 8O
first i want to apologize and let everyone know im not jacking the price up and i dont want to think zong is either but i dont know. first off i do know they were sent by air (why? smart move huh) there are less than 20 sets in the US. the price $275 a pair plus shipping. im sorry im going to see what i can do to change the price they may go down and im looking for a alternate source now. any help anyone can give would be appreciated. just for refrance manny suggested $300 and i make more selling dunlops, cheng shen at a lot less money. again im sorry worse case i keep a set for me, but if anyone still wants a set pm me with the zip and ill try to figure out shipping
i would like to ask another question, would this lead you away from buying a serria :?:

'
Good luck with those Phil.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #5

Nobody is interested in the FREE 18 inch rear wheel I posted about?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #6

dr, these are the knobbies, if theres another choice id like to hear about it.
knothead, i dont take it as harsh if a uproar was to happen maybe they would lower the cost . but as it stands i feel im stuck. but im looking for alternate sources. i dont know how the rest of the owners feel but i would like the hear, i feel let down and dissappointed. i can sell a street front tire and rim cheaper

Old 08-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #7

The only choice is the Yamazong conversion, as per The SpudMeister.

I have a Yamaha 18 inch rim for whoever wants to use it in a conversion. That said, the conversion is a big deal. A person might be better off just paying for the tire.

Mostly I wanted to help someone and get the rim out of my garage. 8)

Old 08-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Nobody is interested in the FREE 18 inch rear wheel I posted about?
Yes, Doc. I am interested in an extra, FREE rim. I sent you a PM.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
dr, these are the knobbies, if theres another choice id like to hear about it.
knothead, i dont take it as harsh if a uproar was to happen maybe they would lower the cost . but as it stands i feel im stuck. but im looking for alternate sources. i dont know how the rest of the owners feel but i would like the hear, i feel let down and dissappointed. i can sell a street front tire and rim cheaper
A number of good choices exist for the front wheel, which employs an 18-inch tire. My favorite choice for a front tire is the Shinko 244, in size 3.00-18. I am currently using this tire on my Zong's front wheel. I bought the Shinko 244 from my local Honda shop for about $27, delivered. I mounted the tire myself.

Other very fine options for a front tire are the Cheng Shin C186 in size 2.75-18, the IRC TR-1 in size 2.75-18, the Cheng Shin C183 in size 2.75-18, the Cheng Shin C755 in size 3.00-18, and the IRC GP-1 in size 3.00-18.

Here is a photograph which includes all the tires I have used on my Zong’s front wheel.

Pictured from left to right: A very worn Kingstone 100/90-18, a Cheng Shin Barracuda C926 3.00-18 (Stock Factory), the Shinko 244 3.00-18 (currently mounted), an Apollo 2.75-21 tire and rim (on loan for evaluation, from Phil), and a Cheng Shin C858 3.50-18. The Shinko 244 is a great tire at a fantastic price. However, as noted above, I also have three choices for a narrower, 2.75-18 tire. I have outlined all of the dual sport choices for Zong front tires in another thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...t+tire+options

The real stumbling block for the Zong, as a dual sport motorcycle, is the lack of choice for a dual sport tire for the 15-inch rear wheel. The unavailability, and now inflated price, of the Kingstone 130/90-15 tires is disheartening. You can choose a number of cruiser tires to fit the Zong rear wheel; the best choice is probably the Cheng Shin Marquis C822. The following thread details the current rear tire choices.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...r+tire+options

However, if you want the Zong to serve as more than a supermoto bike, you should either lace an 18-inch rim to the rear hub, or do a Yamaha swingarm conversion. After riding for 4,000 miles, I am still extremely happy with my Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion, which I completed for about $241.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...arm+conversion

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #10

thats what i needed to hear the tire you have on the bike is very similar,to the ones i got in , the size for the front is a 3.00x18 and they are not kingstones, their some other i havent ever herd of but like i said im searching for another source and i may be close so price may drop i think the problem is or was shipping with the price so inflated for 275 i can get metzeler,michlen,dunlop just about anything but not that size :evil:

Old 08-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #11

Spud, are you sure on that Apollo 2.75-18 tire and rim size? It looks more like 21" when compared with the others.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Spud, are you sure on that Apollo 2.75-18 tire and rim size? It looks more like 21" when compared with the others.
Thank you, W&G, for pointing out my error. Indeed, the Apollo tire is size 2.75-21. I have corrected the original post.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #13

i just have a question about wheel options . i just looked at a zong today and it apeared to me that theres plenty of room for a bigger wheel on the standard swing arm . has anyone looked into this ? was my perception wrong ? then does the 225 arm swap give a longer wheel base . how does the multi link 225 arm compare to the shock mounted staight to the swingarm? ok make that lots of questions

Old 08-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #14

i think,,hope these problems are temporary. with a little luck i will find another source or the price will drop from zong of fla. btw i think im close. to me the front tire is solved thanks to spud and the shinko. second i am guessing the next generation zong should be on its way next year my guess is the rims would be a easy swap unless im mistaken it has normal size tires

Old 08-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer
i just have a question about wheel options . i just looked at a zong today and it apeared to me that theres plenty of room for a bigger wheel on the standard swing arm . has anyone looked into this ? was my perception wrong ?…
Your perception is correct. Indeed, plenty of room exists for an 18-inch wheel to be mounted to the Zongshen swingarm.

If someone wishes to keep the original swingarm, he can lace an 18-inch rim to the existing Zongshen hub. I would suggest that this individual buy an extra rear hub, and ship it to Buchanan’s Spoke and Rim, Incorporated.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/

The wheel masters at Buchanan’s can create custom spokes that successfully mate the Zong hub to an 18-inch rim. The estimated price for 36 custom spokes is $93.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/catego...spoke_sets.asp

If you wish, Buchanan’s will also lace and true the new wheel, for an additional cost.
Quote:
…then does the 225 arm swap give a longer wheel base...
Actually, after completing my Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion, the Zong wheelbase is a little shorter.
Quote:
…how does the multi link 225 arm compare to the shock mounted staight to the swingarm? ok make that lots of questions
The Yamaha XT225 multi-link shock absorber is greatly superior to the original. I am extremely pleased with my new Yamaha XT225 suspension.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220