Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #1

New Gio Assembly - Light Problem

Hi Guys,

Just assembled another 110cc Mini Beast over the past week. I did take some pictures of some things but not all. Had plans to do another assembly guide but I had a lot of little helpers periodically and got out of my rhythem.

The thing fired up and runs nicely, seems to be quite responsive on my test ride, however I have a couple minor electrical/lighting things that I wanted to throw out to you all. I'm not an electical wizard, don't like it much, so thought I would look for some direction.

Firstly the brake light was damaged in shipping so it's cracked, but it's still functional. Problem is it stays on the whole time, even without the brake depressed. I fiddled with the brake levers to see if perhaps they were set too far in but they seem to be back all the way.

The other issue is the front light doesn't turn on. Now, this could be the bulb but combined with the brake light issue I thought there may be a mixed wire. Anyone had similar problem and know where to look? I'm selling this unit and need to show it tomorrow, although pick up is not for another week, so I have some time to get it all sorted.

I've pasted some pictures of the little orange beast. I did take a vid of it running but the mic in my camera makes it sound a little 'tinny' so I won't bother posting.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #2

Alright I will amend my own post:

Headlight isn't working because it fell out of there and was not connected, I reconnected and it still didn't work. Then in my fumbling dropped the bulb and it smashed! No loud pop so I think it was done it before I finished it off...

Brake light still an issue but back to troubleshooting..

Old 08-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #3

It sounds like one of the brake switches is sticking. Try unplugging them to see if the light goes out.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-15-2009, 02:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
It sounds like one of the brake switches is sticking. Try unplugging them to see if the light goes out.
Here's the thing, I look at the levers and don't know where the wiring connectors from the levers are. There are some under the back brake, but I think that it's the kill switch wires or the headlight. I don't see any electrical coming out of there?? I'm a bit confuddled.

I can find the end of the plug the brake light plugs into, then it dissapears into a mess of wires from there out. Grr I hate wiring. :evil:

Old 08-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #5

Be careful that none of the radical free electrons jump out and get ya!

Use your wife's amazing photog stuff and show us a pic of the brake switches. Since there's no brake pedal, the switches will be located at the levers (I know you know that; we're speaking to a broader audience). I suspect that the brake switch performs two functions with a single pole switch. IOW, I think that the same switch activates the brake light and activates the safety switch for starting.

Soooo, can you start the quad without the need to pull a brake lever? If so, single pole switch; if not, double pole switch.

We anxiously await your reply.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Be careful that none of the radical free electrons jump out and get ya!

Use your wife's amazing photog stuff and show us a pic of the brake switches. Since there's no brake pedal, the switches will be located at the levers (I know you know that; we're speaking to a broader audience). I suspect that the brake switch performs two functions with a single pole switch. IOW, I think that the same switch activates the brake light and activates the safety switch for starting.

Soooo, can you start the quad without the need to pull a brake lever? If so, single pole switch; if not, double pole switch.

We anxiously await your reply.
Not worried about getting zapped, had that a few times. Just hate trying to trace where they go, it`s a long way down for me to peer UP under the body kit.

I did remove the two connectors which I assume were the kill switch, and the light stayed on.

Yes, you ARE supposed to hold the brake to start it, however, with the switch open on this one no need at the moment. I`ll take some shots and post it.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #7

Here's some shots of the levers. SHould have taken one from the other side as well I now realize.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #8

Maybe it's not actually a brake light, Perhaps it's just a taillight....was a brake light listed as a feature?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #9

Yes, a brake light is a feature on the atv. Turbo T you can alway's remove the brake light. I don't think many people would care since it is not meant for on road use anyway's as stated on the warnings. 8O

Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
Yes, a brake light is a feature on the atv. Turbo T you can alway's remove the brake light. I don't think many people would care since it is not meant for on road use anyway's as stated on the warnings. 8O
Since I'm selling it to someone for a measley profit I'd prefer to have it working properly if I can find the issue. It has to be fixable somehow.

I'm getting a replacement from Gio with a bunch of other things so I'd like to find out why it's doing this.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Not worried about getting zapped, had that a few times. Just hate trying to trace where they go, it`s a long way down for me to peer UP under the body kit.

I did remove the two connectors which I assume were the kill switch, and the light stayed on.

Yes, you ARE supposed to hold the brake to start it, however, with the switch open on this one no need at the moment. I`ll take some shots and post it.
I'm not clear on your answer, T. Before you removed any connectors, were you able to start it without holding a brake lever? I realize that you need to when everything works properly.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #12

Hey W&G,

I can start this one without holding the brake levers in, which I'm not supposed to be able to do.

I don't like finding wiring problems because they dissapear under the body kit and I find it hard to find them again when I reposition myself to see underneath.

There are two wires that plug in under the handlebar, I assumed they were for the kill switch.. but they are not, as I unplugged them and it started. They may be for the front headlight...as when they are disconnected the back light is still on as well.

Hope that clarifies.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #13

I'm confused. On your left handlebar picture with the rear hydraulic brake, what is the other lever for? It looks like a throttle lever, but that is on the right handlebar, no?

You mentioned that two under the handlebar can't be the kill switch because you disconnected them and the quad still started. That is backwards. Kill switches kill the engine when the kill switch wires are shorted together - not when they are unplugged. Unplugged kill switches allow the engine to run.

On my quad (which activates the rear hydraulic brakes with a foot lever) there is both a front and rear brake switch. They are wired in parallel - i.e. either one of these when closed will turn on the brake light and allow the engine to crank (if the ignition is on of course). Maybe you only have one brake switch activated with by the front brake. I don't know the answer to this. From the pic's I see the right handlebar has a wire bundle going off of it. Trace that bundle to find the brake switch connector and unplug it, then see if the brake light turns off. On my quad the connector is only accessible if the front plastic cowling is removed.

Out of curiousity where is your headlight switch? Where is the start button? Usually I've seen these on the left handlebar where there is a complicated array of switches including the kill switch. I've not seen a Gio since they are illegal where I live. If you only have two wires on the left handlebar I'm betting it is a kill switch. For safety reasons it has to be on the handlebar so the engine can be killed without letting go of the handlebar.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I'm confused. On your left handlebar picture with the rear hydraulic brake, what is the other lever for? It looks like a throttle lever, but that is on the right handlebar, no?

You mentioned that two under the handlebar can't be the kill switch because you disconnected them and the quad still started. That is backwards. Kill switches kill the engine when the kill switch wires are shorted together - not when they are unplugged. Unplugged kill switches allow the engine to run.

On my quad (which activates the rear hydraulic brakes with a foot lever) there is both a front and rear brake switch. They are wired in parallel - i.e. either one of these when closed will turn on the brake light and allow the engine to crank (if the ignition is on of course). Maybe you only have one brake switch activated with by the front brake. I don't know the answer to this. From the pic's I see the right handlebar has a wire bundle going off of it. Trace that bundle to find the brake switch connector and unplug it, then see if the brake light turns off. On my quad the connector is only accessible if the front plastic cowling is removed.

Out of curiousity where is your headlight switch? Where is the start button? Usually I've seen these on the left handlebar where there is a complicated array of switches including the kill switch. I've not seen a Gio since they are illegal where I live. If you only have two wires on the left handlebar I'm betting it is a kill switch. For safety reasons it has to be on the handlebar so the engine can be killed without letting go of the handlebar.
Hi Lynn,

The other lever you are seeing in the first picture is the handlebar choke lever. It looks like a throttle but is in fact a handy open/close slider lever for the choke. All the switches to control the ignition: start button, run on/off switch are located on this handlebar with the back brake. The headlight switches are located there as well.

On the opposite handlebar you'll see the front brake lever, which pulls the cables you see loose there because I have not adjusted these yet (long story for another post) Below that is the throttle and I believe you can see the gov screw in the photo.

From experience with another couple quads, the front brake lever and the back brake lever activate the rear brake light, and also allow the quad to start if one of these is depressed.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:41 AM   #15

Since you can start the quad without pulling a brake lever, and since the brake light is on all the time, I believe the problem to be one of the switches.

If you can dismantle the assembly somewhat, try spraying some contact cleaner in one switch assembly at a time, and see which one responds. It is likely that only one of the switches is at fault.