Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #1

YamaZong XT200GY-2 gets an FMF Turbine Core 2 Spark Arrestor

About one week ago I installed a Yamaha XT225 stainless steel exhaust header and FMF Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor on my YamaZong XT200GY-2 motorcycle. Here is a photograph of my Zong with the old exhaust system.

Here is a photograph of my Zong with the new exhaust system.

My main objective for installing the new exhaust system was to make the Zong lose some more weight, and I was successful. The old exhaust system weighed 11 pounds! 8O

The new exhaust system weighs 4 pounds, so my Zong is now 7 pounds lighter than before! Also, I much prefer the appearance of the new exhaust system.

The mounting is very secure using just the exhaust header bolts and the hanger bracket supplied with the spark arrestor. As you can see below, the FMF has very good clearance from my rear wheel.

The Yamaha XT225 stainless steel exhaust header is very light, and it matches the stainless steel midpipe supplied with the FMF. The entire exhaust system is now maintenance free, and it is beginning to take on a very nice blue and golden color.

My Zong’s performance seems to be significantly better with the FMF Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor. I must admit, I can only give the impressions from my “butt dynamometer.”

Losing 7 pounds of weight from the motorcycle must certainly help the performance a little bit. Also, the bike now seems to accelerate faster through all the gears, and I appear to have gained about 5 mph of top speed with the same gear ratio.

Also, the Zong now starts even more easily than before. The bike also warms up to operating speed almost immediately, and it idles better. Finally, the bike sounds a bit better. The FMF is slightly louder than the original exhaust system. It is loud enough to help identify my presence in city traffic, but it is not too loud to be objectionable to my neighbors.

The installation was very straightforward. I trimmed about 1-7/8 inches from the midpipe supplied with the FMF, and everything connected together and aligned perfectly. I wish to offer special thanks to forum members DesertRider and Madbare for their good advice and photographs regarding this installation.

I live at 4,400 feet above sea level. I frequently ride to elevations of 8,000 feet above sea level, and higher. I have not needed to rejet my carburetor with the new exhaust system. My motorcycle runs very well with this exhaust system, and I am very pleased with the results.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #2

Looks so much better, You need to post a sound bite.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Looks so much better, You need to post a sound bite.
I have never posted a sound bite, AZ. However, if you can point me toward the directions, and I have the necessary equipment, I will gladly post a sound bite.

The new sound is quite mellow, and pleasant, both at idle speed, and at low throttle. However, the sound becomes a bit louder, and more aggressive, under hard acceleration.

I must admit, I really enjoy the increased performance. I would never go back to the standard exhaust system.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #4

You tube man, You tube.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 AM   #5

Quote:
You tube man, You tube.

Yes, AZ, I have heard of YouTube. However, that does not mean I am familiar with finding the directions for posting videos or sound bites.

However, thanks to your link, I don't think it is necessary for me to post a sound bite of my new FMF Turbine Core 2. My FMF sounds exactly like the muffler featured in the link you provided.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #6

Excellent idea; I'm sure that your Zong will be a little easier on fuel now, as well.

I thought about an FMF for my old XR, but they're a little pricey, and the stock Honda stuff isn't too bad.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #7

You tube gives You all the instructiosn right after the upload...Really helpful..And if it sounds like that it sounds nice. I am taking Your lead and after I save up some more cash My DR will get that same muffler...She needs some love. Being as we had the same original muffler....Who did they copy on that one? :? Can't wait to see what You do next to that bike.....Keep it up Spud

Old 08-17-2009, 02:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Excellent idea; I'm sure that your Zong will be a little easier on fuel now, as well.

I thought about an FMF for my old XR, but they're a little pricey, and the stock Honda stuff isn't too bad.
Thank you, my friend.

Indeed, my fuel mileage would probably be improved, but I now ride my Zong about 10 mph faster than I used to. However, even traveling at the higher speeds, my fuel mileage has not dropped very much. If I slowed down to my previous rate of travel, I am sure I would see improved fuel mileage as well.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #9

I guess that means you can safely afford to gain 7 pounds and get up to your football weight. Bring on the gravy!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #10

Quote:
You tube gives You all the instructiosn right after the upload...Really helpful..And if it sounds like that it sounds nice. I am taking Your lead and after I save up some more cash My DR will get that same muffler...She needs some love. Being as we had the same original muffler....Who did they copy on that one? :? Can't wait to see what You do next to that bike.....Keep it up Spud
OK. So, if I create a YouTube account, I can upload a video file. After I upload the file, I will then receive the necessary instructions; that's cool!

I don't have a digital videocam, but my Canon PowerShot A590 digital camera can take short video clips. I have never used this feature on my camera, but I will read my camera's instruction manual tomorrow.

Indeed, the FMF does sound quite nice, just as the muffler in the video clip you provided. This exhaust system gives my bike a nice performance boost, but the sound is not objectionably loud; I am very pleased with the results.

My next project is a 21-inch alloy rim for the YamaZong's front wheel. I hope someone can help me acquire the correct spokes.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8580

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-17-2009, 02:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
OK. So, if I create a YouTube account, I can upload a video file. After I upload the file, I will then receive the necessary instructions; that's cool!

I don't have a digital videocam, but my Canon PowerShot A590 digital camera can take short video clips. I have never used this feature on my camera, but I will read my camera's instruction manual tomorrow.

Indeed, the FMF does sound quite nice, just as the muffler in the video clip you provided. This exhaust system gives my bike a nice performance boost, but the sound is not objectionably loud; I am very pleased with the results.

My next project is a 21-inch alloy rim for the YamaZong's front wheel. I hope someone can help me acquire the correct spokes.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8580

Spud
I shoot all my vids with my digi cam. Only way to do it these days. And You're on Your own with the spokes..I give up You'll get it figured out.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:05 AM   #12

Quote:
I guess that means you can safely afford to gain 7 pounds and get up to your football weight. Bring on the gravy!
Well, I would probably be healthier if I lost a few pounds. Also, if I lost a few pounds, the YamaZong would certainly perform better, as well.

In stock form, the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is quite heavy for its size. My YamaZong is now much more trail worthy, and far easier to pick up, since it has lost about 20 pounds!

The YamaZong lost 12 pounds after my Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion. My motorcycle lost another 7 pounds when I switched to the FMF Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor. My bike certainly lost another pound when I switched from the stock tail light to the DRC Edge 2 tail light. My bike will certainly lose a few more pounds, and become more nimble, after I replace the front steel rim with an alloy rim.

With its reduced weight and greatly improved suspension, my YamaZong XT200GY-2 is a very worthy trail bike.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 AM   #13

The good folks from the Forestry Department will be pleased with your new exhaust as well.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 AM   #14

Quote:
The good folks from the Forestry Department will be pleased with your new exhaust as well.
Yes, in addition to being a U.S.F.S. approved spark arrestor, the Turbine Core 2 is also a U.S.F.S. approved silencer. I also appreciate that the U.S.F.S. approval is plainly printed on the outside of the cannister.

My FMF installation was easy, and the price was right (about $101 U.S.D., delivered). I am very pleased with this product.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #15

Wow! Where did you find a price like that? If you don't mind the question...