Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #1

Gio 150 Monster Air Filter Upgrade

I hated the stock filter. Not only did the filter media do a poor job, it was impossible to get at. You had to take the bodywork off just to get at it. Who's going to do that?

After reading a tip from a member on the old Gio forum, I bought some ABS pipe and a Uni pod filter. I used the rubber boot from the original air cleaner to clamp around the ABS pipe, then I cut a hole in the bodywork under the seat; as you can see, it looks like I cut it with a steak knife.

The area under the seat was likely meant for tools, but it's perfect for the air filter. The pipe makes a straight run from the carb to under the seat, and one hose clamp removes the filter for service. I created a splash shield underneath the new air filter out of some plastic from an old Reliance water container (that's the blue you can see).

I moved up to a 120 jet in the carb to compensate for the additional airflow, since this is a CV style carb with no needle and clip. The power increase was obvious, but there was a new surge at WOT that prompted a free-flowing exhaust. http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=8437

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #2

Cool mod..

There is good airflow and breathing ability under the seat I take it?

I guess it would be much like a MX bike that way..

Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #3

It's difficult to tell depth from the photo, but there's lots of room under the filter. The seat doesn't exactly seal to the body either, so there's air all over. What I really like about this mod is that the filter doesn't get very dirty or wet.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #4

YEs there would be a lot of other barriers to stop dirt and splash from getting up there first.. cool idea!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #5

Do you have a full pick of this quad? I can't remember what they look like and I'm curious now...

Old 08-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #6

Just this one; it's the standard Gio photo from their site:

Old 08-22-2009, 01:54 AM   #7

It looks pretty cool!

They don't sell those anymore do they?

Shocks very perpendicular.. <<-- Haven't spelt that word in a long time.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #8

Hey Weldangrind where did you buy your air filter? I'm in Aldergrove so Abbey is close, still what to change the stock one.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:22 AM   #9

TurboT: I haven't seen one for sale at Gio for some time now. They discontinued them when they first imported the Beast, but considerable whining on the Gio forum convinced them to order another batch. Haven't seen them in about a year though.

crhunter: I bought the filter at Clearbrook Yamaha. I think it was $20.00. You could also try Western Yamaha on the Langley Bypass if it's closer.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #10

Quote:
crhunter: I bought the filter at Clearbrook Yamaha. I think it was $20.00. You could also try Western Yamaha on the Langley Bypass if it's closer.
Thanks, nice mod by the way.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #11

Hey VinceDrake, did you do this Uni Pod filter mod to your Monster? It's totally worth it with a jet increase and a performance muffler: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=8437

Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #12

Hey Mr. Weld!

Sorry-- Been Hiding!

So far I've just got the exhaust set-up on it. I've been meaning to tackle the air filter issue for a while now, But it keeps getting put off, like fixing the roof when it's raining, kind if thing....

So far, I have picked up the "Rev-Box" CDI, but again, not installed.

The frame brackets broke on the old exhaust system, necessitating repairs, hence why I did get the performance exhaust on. Much, much nicer sound. Less 50cc scooter, more ATV-like.

At this point in time, I'm kinda thinking the air filter/carb-jetting/CDI box are going to winter projects... Not quite the right time to do jet-work, but it might have to do...

Truth be told, the 150 has been so reliable and easy-starting, that I almost hate to screw with it... Even at -15 this spring, it lit right up, no boosting, no nothing...

Why they canned the 150 I have no idea whatsoever. I would go so far as to say it is a *much* better ATV than the 200 that replaced it....

--Vince

Old 09-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #13

Yeah, I love these little 150 Monsters.

I don't have the CDI yet, but I did buy the hi-po coil. We'll see if that does anything.

BTW, if you change the jet and fatten it too much, it's easy to reverse. It was totally worth it for us.