Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #1

200cc lifan

Hey guys (and probably gals) dont know havent been a member too long. Just purchased a lifan 200cc vert. engine with plans to build a hardknock 5150 bobber to ride back a nd forth to work(6 miles).plan on custom frame with honda ct70 front end from "donor bike". Have new rims, spokes, michelan 3.00 tires.Headlights turn signals,tail light all 12v. problem is I doubt engine will come with a wiring diagram of any sort. So lets see what can happen with the power of the internet?

Old 10-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #2

Sorry, I cant help, but I wish I had your ambition and I wish you well!

Old 10-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #3

the real world
not ambition, obsession. something to do in the garage while ingesting adult beverages.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #4

I speak that language.

I always appreciated the 5150 Bobber, but I hate that it's 110 powered. Good luck!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #5

any pics yet?

Old 11-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #6

Hey bud, fire away with your questions. No need for a custom frame,
as I was going to go this route also. This is much easier, just simple parts replacing.
Please read this all the way through if you would. I did probably the first 200
conversion back in 2007. bobberjohn on several forums also, by the way.
What year Hardknock do you have? If you do have the 110, it's an
'08 or prior. The first four digits in the "vin" will tell you. You'll need to fab a front mount and an upper mount,
and an appx. 3/16" spacer between the rear frame mount and the
engine mount hole as well as the upper. The stock intake manifold will need to be replaced
as it puts the carb right at the down tube of the frame. I don't
know if mentioning other forums or
dealers and parts vendors is permitted on this forum, but if
not, please make an exception, as there are only a few places
on the net for these bikes, and only a handful of reputable
dealers that really care and don't want to just make a sale. You
will need to purchase the '09 exhaust pipe as well. These can
be purchased from oldschoolhardknock.com. Tell Josh that bobberjohn sent you. If you wish, go to bobbertalk.com, and look at the under frame pipe I made for mine. Several pictures are in the exhaust section, and
a few pics off my bike are in the "show off your build" section. Also, I did the first parallel twin using the 250 Lifan, which is a Honda clone. Had lots either electrical problems or cam/crank phasing problems, and just ditched it in favor of the 200. You will need to register to view everything but the general bobber issues. For what it's worth, my 200 is the black chrome edition with the chrome frame. ALSO, if you happen to own the chrome frame, for heaven's sake, try hard to keep it dry. Don't ride it in the rain without drying it completely with either compressed air or a conventional motorcycle dryer followed by a good wipe down. Although the frame is double chrome plated, there are spots on the frame where the plating didn't cover well. You'll definately need to have the front rim and tire trued and balance. While your at it, upgrade to a Cheng Shen 3"x18" tire. Several parts vendors also sell 1/8" wall fork tubes. Get rid of the factory springer tubes. Their thin, and much more prone to flexing, thus cracking the aluminum cups which hold the fork rockers. The 200 uses the 428 chain, is compatable with the front sprocket, and with a 17 tooth primary, will give you a a 2:33 final drive.
There are a few other little quirks to be addressed, and if you wish, you can either contact Josh (FANTASTIC) guy at1-877-7bobbers or email me at johnnlorraine@gmail.com. I don't come to this forum often, but when I do, I generally look for any Hardknock owners. Sure glad you posted. Holler at either one of us anytime. Josh is in Texas, so call accordingly.
A complete wiring diagram can be found on kikker5150.com towards the bottom. In the meantime, dig this........

Old 11-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #7

Yeah, I dig it! 8)

Sorry to hear that the 250 didn't cooperate; that would be a fun little street bobber, although the 200 is likely no slouch.

May we see a left side view? I'd like to see the shift linkage with a (presumed) forward control. I figure a person could fab one with spherical rod ends.

I like the under-frame exhaust. Does it scrape in turns? The drag bars are my preference over the mini apes; which one feels better? Does the seat sway in turns? I had an idea for seat suspension that would use a mountain bike monoshock, and then they used that idea on American Chopper (although they didn't think the geometry though).

Thanks for the pics!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #8

I'll post up more pics after the turkey's been eaten. Clearance is
no problem with the exhaust. I'll post a picture of the linkage,
but I used the shift linkage that came with the engine (purchased
new). Yep, using the forward controls. I'll get back on here sometime this evening. Oh: it's not a bullet out of the hole, but it really makes up for
it on the other end. The 200 has plenty of torque to offset the numerically
lower gear. You'll need to re-jet it a little richer, as the header( an actual
"stepped" header, 1" to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" makes it run a bit lean. Believe it or not, it's about as loud
as an unbaffled v-twin. The seat that came with the bike
is out in the garage, replaced with a generic solo purchased
from ebay. The bike, seat, front end, etc. is rock solid. A lot of work
was spent on the springer, as well.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #9

This picture was taken during the build, and shows the relation of the carb to down tube with the intake that came with the engine.

From the 250.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #10

Dang I wish that twin carb 250 would've worked right .....