Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #1

Zongshen 200GY-2 H4 Headlamp Conversion

As with most Chinese motorcycles, my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 came from the factory with a 35W/35W BA20D headlamp bulb. Seeking to get more visibility at night, I soon switched to a 45W/45W BA20D bulb, after I had converted my taillight, brake light, turn signals, and indicator lights to LEDs.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8157

I have been running the 45W/45W incandescent bulbs for about a year, without causing any problems to my Zong’s electrical system. Since my headlamp burns continuously, the bulb filament gets hot, and the vibrations produced by trail riding can hasten the failure of the filament. Halogen bulbs burn much hotter than incandescent bulbs, and since I frequently ride my motorcycle in the dirt and gravel, I chose incandescent bulbs because I knew they would endure the vibration better than the hotter, halogen bulbs. However, as I have continued to ride more aggressively, even my incandescent bulbs are failing faster than they did previously.

Although I had bought a good supply of the 45W/45W bulbs, I realized the BA20D headlamp bulbs would be much more difficult to purchase, should they fail while I was traveling away from home. Therefore, I decided to convert my headlamp to accept a bulb that could be more easily purchased at Wal-Mart, or any automotive parts store.

I remembered that the BA20D bulb holder for my Zong had 3 tabs, much like an H4 headlamp bulb. :idea: I also remembered reading that many KTM riders had converted their headlamps from BA20D bulbs to H4 bulbs. Therefore, I began my research on the internet to find more information. However, I did not realize at the time that all H4 bulbs are halogen bulbs! Searching the internet, I soon discovered that many KTM riders had melted their plastic headlamp lenses after converting to the hotter, H4 halogen bulbs. 8O

However, I am pleased to report that my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 employs a metal headlamp reflector, with a glass lens. Therefore, I decided to convert to the brighter, H4 halogen headlamp bulbs.

Researching some more, I discovered the following thread, which describes converting a BA20D bulb holder to an H4 bulb holder.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/wiki/index.php...ght_Conversion

Looking at my Zong’s headlamp assembly, and researching even further, I also realized that my Zong headlamp assembly was designed to accept a proprietary, Honda 45W/45W, PX43t-65 degree H4 bulb, instead of the standard P43t bulb! :? To see the difference between the P43t and PX43t-65 degree bulb flanges, read the last post in the following thread.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...howtopic=54520

To get a regular, P43t bulb to seat into a P43t-65 degree connector you can use adapter shims, or you can cut the bulb holder to accept the conventional tab arrangement.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...tegory_Code=El
http://webpages.charter.net/bpeloquin/H4mod.html

Ordinarily, if you don’t use either of these two methods, the bulb will not seat evenly, and your headlight will not be properly adjusted. :?

http://webpages.charter.net/bpeloquin/H4tilt.html

Searching the China Riders forums, I also found the following thread, posted by “thatboatguy.”

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=3516

This thread confirmed that the Zong headlamp unit would accept H4 bulbs. Therefore, I went to my local CarQuest store, and bought a 3-prong, H4 socket/pigtail assembly for $4.10, part #S526. I also ordered twelve H4 halogen bulbs for $32.31, delivered, from Light Bulb Emporium.

http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/eik...6ek_01009.asp#

After the H4 bulbs arrived, I removed the Zong's headlamp bulb holder from my motorcycle, and replaced the original BA20D socket with the H4 socket. I then began to experiment with different ways to mount the H4 bulb into the Zong’s headlamp assembly. After a bit of cutting and experimenting, I reached the following conclusion. To properly mount an H4 bulb in the Zong headlamp assembly, don’t cut the bulb holder, and don’t use shims!

Instead, merely trim away the small “dimples” on the bottom of the H4 bulb flange, opposite the large, central tab. Then mount the H4 bulb the very same way you mounted the original BA20D bulb assembly unit! With the small “dimples” removed, the H4 bulb will mount securely, and almost perfectly level!

In the photograph below, I have my Eiko H4 bulb mounted in the headlight assembly, ready to be reattached to my motorcycle. You will notice that I cut away a large portion of the bulb’s bottom flange as I experimented with different mounting arrangements. However, cutting away the flange is not necessary. You merely need to snip away the small dimples at the bottom of the flange, as shown inside the yellow circle on the other H4 bulb shown in the photograph below. Snipping the dimples away allows the H4 bulb flange to seat evenly, without hitting the small hook on the metal reflector that secures the bulb retaining clip.

If you puchase the Eiko H4 bulbs from Light Bulb Emporium, you can have a halogen, H4 headlight for $2.69! Also, if your headlamp bulb extinguishes away from home, you can now easily find a replacement bulb.

I just finished installing the H4 headlamp bulb in my Zong. As I gain more experience using the Eiko H4 halogen bulbs I will report on their nighttime illumination properties, and their ability to endure vibration.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #2

Cool writeup, Spud.

My HSUN used a nonhalogen 35 watt and it was almost OK. The bike had a switch to turn it off, which I did all the time off road to conserve the filament.

Q comes with a halogen light. No switch. I'll see what happens.

Does the Zong have a switch to turn off the light when not needed?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #3

Another point. I had done roughly the same thing you are doing to my 1996 XR250L. One issue I ran into was the shape and length of the bulb are critical to focusing the beam in the reflector. Depending on that factor you can have a brighter bulb but less light on the road.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Cool writeup, Spud.

My HSUN used a nonhalogen 35 watt and it was almost OK. The bike had a switch to turn it off, which I did all the time off road to conserve the filament.

Q comes with a halogen light. No switch. I'll see what happens.

Does the Zong have a switch to turn off the light when not needed?
Thank you, Doc. My Zong is as your QLink XP200; it does not have a switch to turn off the headlight. However, I like this feature. Visibility is a major factor in motorcycle safety. If I were to turn off the headlamp while riding the trails, I am sure I would forget to turn it back on when returning to the street.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
...the shape and length of the bulb are critical to focusing the beam in the reflector. Depending on that factor you can have a brighter bulb but less light on the road.
Thank you for mentioning this important fact, Doc. Indeed, before I committed to making this conversion I examined the arrangement of the high-beam and low-beam filaments in both the H4 bulb, and the BA20D bulb. The lengths from the mounting flange, and the positions of both filaments appears to be identical.

Of course, the real test will occur at night, on the road. I will report my observations as soon as I get a chance to experiment with the H4 bulb at night.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #6

My GY-5 has a plastic lens as i'm sure they all do, i'm running the 45/45 ba20d bulb and I could use something brighter for my commute home at night, I looked into the H4 but figured it would melt everything... I'm still on the search, great post though Spud!!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassador
My GY-5 has a plastic lens as i'm sure they all do, i'm running the 45/45 ba20d bulb and I could use something brighter for my commute home at night, I looked into the H4 but figured it would melt everything... I'm still on the search, great post though Spud!!
Not to worry. I converted my GY-5 to a 45/45w halogen, no problems.
Here's the link to some pictures:
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...=6685&start=15
You shouldn't need the relay I have pictured, that was from another "experiment" and I just left it in place.
Since these were taken, I decided to grind the lock tabs just enough to allow the H-4 bulb to slide in without grinding the flange.
This set-up still throws a very good beam on the road, much brighter.

I use these from Bulbster:
http://bulbster.com/lightbulbs/4745-...1146e71ab74abb
A standard 55/60 will fit, if you need one on the road.
As Spud said, "If you need a bulb on the road, they're easy to find."
Bill

Old 10-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassador
Not to worry. I converted my GY-5 to a 45/45w halogen, no problems.
Here's the link to some pictures:

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...=6685&start=15

…This set-up still throws a very good beam on the road, much brighter…
Thank you for reporting your success with H4 lighting on the GY-5, Bill.

In the last few days the weather here has suddenly turned quite a bit colder. :( Therefore, I have not been riding at night since I made my H4 headlight conversion. However, Bill, your report inspired me; therefore, I bundled up about 30 minutes ago, and took the Zong for a nighttime ride! I rode a few miles in the city, and then I took a ten-mile ride in the country.

I am very pleased with my H4 headlight. The light beam is very well focused on both high and low beam, and it gives excellent light! I certainly do not want to return to incandescent lighting! The lighting improvement from the H4 bulb meets my highest expectations. I am sure I am much more visible to other motorists in the daylight, as well.

My headlight does not dim when the motorcycle is idling, and it does not fluctuate with changes in engine speed. Therefore, I am confident my electrical system can handle the 55W/60W halogen bulb. However, I will repeat, I have converted every other light on my motorcycle to an LED bulb.

My final question regards how well the hot halogen bulb will endure the vibrations of trail riding. Therefore, I will monitor the bulb’s longevity, and report my findings.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #9

Any updates on this yet?

How hard was it to swap the socket, is it just plug and play?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPvFletch
Any updates on this yet?

How hard was it to swap the socket, is it just plug and play?
The H4 bulb is working great; the beam is well focused, and I see the road much better than before. I have traveled about 150 miles with the new H4 headlight, on gravel roads as well as pavement.

The weather here suddenly turned cold, so we have snow in the mountains. However, the snow is beginning to melt a bit. If we don't get more snow, I will certainly ride the mountain trails before they are closed for the winter. I will then report how the hotter, halogen bulb responds to the vibrations of trail riding. However, the real test will occur next year, when I can ride many more miles in the mountains, and give a long-term report.

Changing to the three-prong H4 socket was not difficult. The Zong's headlight wire connects to the main wiring harness with a plastic connector. After I unhooked the connector, I removed the BA20D bulb socket. Then I connected, and soldered the three-prong H4 connector to the headlight wire, and hooked everything back together.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #11

Where did you get the socket from? Part number? Thanks!

I take it no issues with light heat and the glass lense or housing?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPvFletch
Where did you get the socket from? Part number? Thanks!

I take it no issues with light heat and the glass lense or housing?
I went to CarQuest and bought an H4 socket/pigtail assembly, part #S526, for $4.10. I have not had any problems with heat from the halogen bulb. My Zong's headlamp assembly has a glass lens and a metal reflector.

The extra light is wonderful to have at night. Other motorists seem to see me better during daylight hours, also. I am very happy to have made the switch from the 45W/45W incandescent bulb to the 55W/60W halogen bulb.

My only remaining question concerns how well the hot halogen bulb will handle the vibration from off-road riding; only time will tell.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #13

Spud, can you easily reach behing the numberplate and pull the plug before you head off road?

On the other hand, it's a cheap bulb and easy to replace so if it needs replacement once a year it's no biggie.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Spud, can you easily reach behing the numberplate and pull the plug before you head off road?

On the other hand, it's a cheap bulb and easy to replace so if it needs replacement once a year it's no biggie.
No, I can't easily unplug the headlamp, Doc. However, the illumination from the H4 halogen bulbs is so improved, I will be very happy if I need to replace the bulbs four times a year! After all, I only paid $2.69 per bulb; I consider that price to be very inexpensive life insurance!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #15

Copy that Spud. We sure don't want any mashed potatos.