Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #1

2-day Ride to Idaho's Lost River and Lemhi Ranges

I am sorry to say that the Fall weather has arrived in Idaho, with a vengeance. :( Anticipating Fall’s arrival, I took a 2-day excursion to Idaho’s Lost River and Lemhi Ranges, while the weather was still very nice.

Traveling north and west, I left more familiar territory. After a short ride, I decided to stretch my legs with a short visit to Atomic City.

As the name implies, Atomic City is very close to the Idaho National Laboratory, a restricted-access facility that conducts Nuclear Research and Homeland Security operations.

https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/ser...jID=260&mode=2

I stopped the Zong short of the security gate for a quick photograph.

Riding farther west, I stopped for a quick photograph of INL facilities. Then I quickly returned to the highway, before security officers, and black helicopters arrived! 8O

After riding a short distance, I decided to visit the historic EBR-1 (Experimental Breeder Reactor 1) site, home of the world’s first atomic power plant. Tours are available during the summer months, but I arrived after the tourist season.

http://www.atomictourist.com/ebr.htm

Heading toward the Lost River Range, I stopped in Arco to fill my fuel tank, and my stomach. Arco is the town nearest to Craters of the Moon National Monument.

http://www.nps.gov/crmo/index.htm

In some areas of this National Monument, the lava flows and volcanic craters are so desolate, NASA used this site to train astronauts for the Apollo program’s lunar landings. 8O

http://www.nps.gov/archive/crmo/astronauts.htm

However, I was headed for the Lost River Range, so I did not visit Craters of the Moon on this excursion. I filled my gas tank, then headed inside the convenience market for some food. Near the front door I noticed this Wildfire 250 dual sport motorcycle!

I met the storeowner, and I discovered that he sells the Wildfire motorcycles; therefore, I requested, and received, the opportunity to test ride the Wildfire 250. I rode the bike around the parking lot; however, I am sorry to say this motorcycle looks a lot better than it rides! :( The Wildfire 250 is very tall, and the seat and suspension are both rock hard! I thanked the proprietor for the test ride, then went inside for lunch, thankful that I had purchased my Zong.

In the next installment I will continue my report as I ride north to Idaho’s tallest mountain.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #2

Very cool... How much $ was the wildfire?

Old 10-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Very cool... How much $ was the wildfire?
Thank you, Jim.

The Wildfire 250 is water cooled, and a very sharp looking motorcycle! However, as soon as I mounted it, I knew I would never want to ride it any distance, let alone own it. :(

The store owner is a very pleasant gentleman, and I had ample opportunity to ride this motorcycle around his very large, unpaved parking lot. The suspension was so stiff, I did not ride for very long; when I returned the bike to its parking place, I forgot to ask the price. :?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #4

No problem, I was just curious You should have talked him into selling Zong's

Old 10-05-2009, 01:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
No problem, I was just curious You should have talked him into selling Zong's
I'm waiting for Phil to establish his West Coast dealership network for the Zongs.

I almost forgot, I took another photograph of the Wildfire which better displays the bike's radiator.

I was pleasantly surprised to see this motorcycle on display in Arco, Idaho, and I was very fortunate to take it for a test ride. Even during a close, physical inspection, this is a very nice looking motorcycle; but looks can be deceiving. As soon as I mounted it, I thought I was sitting on a piece of lumber! 8O Also, I was very surprised, and disappointed, by the stiff, unyielding suspension. :(

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #6

Thanks again Spud.

FastDoc is having a tough day and appreciated your pics.

We had anou 1/3 inch of rain on Saturday but it's been nice and semi warm since. Perfect today, but alas, I'll be in work and meetings until about 9PM...

I'm going to Crater Lake at the end on this month but taking the Wing. Maybe my buddy and I will tow our CB's on his motorhome and explore the area locally instead.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #7

Riding northwest from Arco, I traveled up the Big Lost River Valley. Immediately as you leave Arco, the Big Lost Mountain Range comes into view on the east.

In some places the year’s harvest of hay had not yet been collected.

The farmland in the valley extends up to the base of the mountains on either side of the Big Lost River.

As you travel north toward Darlington and Mackay, the mountains become taller, and more rugged.

I stopped in Mackay to fill my fuel tank, then continued to ride northwest. North of Mackay, and about half the distance from Arco to Challis, you arrive at Borah Peak, the tallest mountain in Idaho.

Borah Peak rises 12,662 feet above sea level, and resides just east of a fault in the Earth’s crust. A major earthquake occurred here as recently as 1983.

At this point I turned north to ride the gravel road that leads from the Borah Peak trailhead to the valley of the Pahsimeroi River, west of the Lemhi Range. I was immediately rewarded with beautiful new perspectives of Borah Peak.

Traveling farther north, you can see that snow still clings to the shear northern cliff of the mountain.

Other mountains, though less tall, still provided beautiful views as I continued to ride northward.

I took one last picture of Borah Peak as I continued to ride north to the Lemhi Range.

Just past the road’s summit, I left the Big Lost Range behind.

As I entered the valley of the Pahsimeroi River, views of the Lemhi Range appeared in the east.

I traveled quickly as I rode along the excellent, but remote gravel road, that leads to May, Idaho, and the Salmon River beyond.

As late afternoon progressed into early evening, I took my last photographs of the Lemhi Range as I exited the valley.

]

After reaching the beautiful Salmon River, I headed west to dine in Challis, and spend the evening.

In my next installment I will continue my report as I ride the remote roadways from Challis, south to Howe, Idaho.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #8

Beautiful Spud.

Mental Note:

Never move East.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Beautiful Spud.

Mental Note:

Never move East.
Thank you, Doc.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #10

Thanks again for the photos Spud.

Is that a DOT rear tire? It looks really agressive.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-06-2009, 02:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Thanks again for the photos Spud.

Is that a DOT rear tire? It looks really agressive.
You are welcome, WG.

Yes, the K760 Kenda Trakmaster is a DOT approved dual sport tire. Based upon the recommendation of others, and my experience with a very similiar Dunlop D752 tire, I bought the Kenda K760 Trakmaster tire in size 100/100-18 for the YamaZong’s rear wheel. This tire fits the Yamaha XT225 swingarm with room to spare, and it does not rub the chain guard.

For the first hundred miles or so, this tire is a little skatey on the pavement. However, after scuffing it up a little, it rides very well on the street. The Kenda K760 tire has done a very good job for me on pavement, gravel roads, powered soil, mud, loose rocks, and hard rocky trails. This tire also wears very well. I like this tire very much, and I got it for a great price from Rocky Mountain ATV.

http://www.kendausa.com/motorcycle/d...rakmaster_k760

Incidentally, I also very much enjoy the Shinko 244 tire I have mounted on the YamaZong's front wheel. The Shinko 244 is available in 5 different sizes for an 18-inch wheel, ranging in size from 3.00-18, to 5.10-18.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=24

I ordered my Shinko 244 tire, in size 3.00-18, from the local Honda dealership. I paid $27 for my tire, and it arrived 24 hours after I had ordered it! I have traveled about 3,000 miles on the Shinko 244, and it does a superb job on the Zong's front wheel. If anything, the Shinko 244 wears even better than the Kenda K760; it is a great tire, at a great price!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #12

Riding the Salmon River upstream, from Challis westward to Stanley, is another beautiful ride.

However, after a good night’s sleep, and a hearty breakfast, I headed downstream, eastward along the Salmon River, to re-enter the Pahsimeroi River Valley. The mountains south of Challis are chocolate colored, much unlike the gray granite color of the mountains seen farther south in the Big Lost Range.

Traveling farther downstream the road rises, affording some beautiful elevated views of the Salmon River.

Further downstream I spied a beautiful farm nestled south of the river, which had a wonderful view to the east.

Arriving at the confluence of the Pahsimeroi and Salmon Rivers, I turned south. This time I took a route that closely paralleled the Lemhi Range, to the east.

While traveling south, enjoying my view of the mountains, I discovered a beautiful trail that left the highway and ascended into the Lemhi Range. I checked my GPS and saw that this trail ascended to approximately 8,000 feet above sea level, almost 4,000 feet above the valley floor. This is one of the reasons I love dual sport motorcycles; I decided to explore the trail. I rode up the trail about a hundred yards, and hid my J.C. Whitney travel trunk in the sagebrush.

Reaching the top of the trail, I was rewarded with beautiful views of the mountains, and the valley to the south.

At this point, the trail descended to the south. Therefore, I backtracked down the trail to retrieve my travel trunk, and enjoy the views I had neglected while ascending.

On the way back down I stopped to explore an abandoned cabin I had passed near the summit; it was a mining cabin filled with core samples taken from the mountain.

The irrigated land in the valley below stood out in stark contrast to the native sagebrush.

The Lemhi mountains are quite steep, and rockslides occupy large areas of the slopes.

Because I had passed it earlier, I knew the farmhouse on the mountain below was actually elevated quite a bit above the valley; however, you would not likely recognize that fact from this elevation.

I continued to descend into the valley, and retrieved my travel trunk at the bottom of the trail.

In my next installment I will continue my report as I ride the length of the Lemhi Range, and exit the valley near Howe, Idaho.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #13

After descending the Lemhi Range, I continued to head southeast toward Patterson. Riding close to the mountains, I enjoyed the view of the farmlands leading up to the Lemhi Range. In the photograph below, the black dots are cows grazing in the fields.

Numerous trails crisscross this beautiful, wide valley; I took one of the trails, and rode a bit to the west. I was rewarded with a wonderful view of the distant Big Lost Range, and the headwaters of the Pahshimeroi River.

Looking back to the east and south, I crossed the headwaters of the Pashimeroi River, and headed back to the gravel road.

Riding southeast, I left the Pahshimeroi drainage basin, and entered the drainage basin of the Little Lost River. Once again, the small dots in the photograph below are happy cows, grazing in the beautiful valley.

The Lemhi Range continued to offer beautiful views to the east as I continued riding toward the Little Lost River.

As you get closer to Howe, the remote gravel road becomes paved. However, many fine trails lead eastward toward the Lemhi Range.

Getting closer to Howe, the valley widens, and more farmland begins to appear.

As I rode southeast, I paused to watch a farmer harvesting his crop.

I was not alone watching the harvest. A hungry hawk, perched upon the irrigation equipment, was also watching the farmer, and me, as he waited for field mice to scurry away from the approaching harvester.

I rode a little bit farther south to get another photograph of the field, without the irrigation equipment obscuring the view. This farmer has a rather nice view of the Lemhi Range; don’t you agree?

This day I had traveled over 120 miles down the length of the Lemhi Range. Arriving in Howe, I reached the first fuel pump available since I had left Challis, earlier in the morning. Fortunately, the storeowner was still open for business; I gratefully filled my fuel tank. If the store had been closed, I would have made a 14-mile detour to Arco for fuel.

My Zong has a 2 gallon fuel tank, so I had stowed an extra ¾ gallon of gas in my travel trunk before leaving Challis; I had used a good bit of that extra fuel. I will certainly enjoy having my 3.5 gallon Clarke fuel tank, which I plan to install in the next week or so.

Standing at the fuel pump, I took my last photographs of the Lemhi Range ascending in the distance, above Mom’s Place, in beautiful downtown Howe.

Riding southeast into the broad Snake River Plain, I retraced my path back home.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #14

Wow, amazing! How did you plan this trip out? I would love to find some public roads like that here in Central Texas..

*bump*

Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #15

Looked like you had a good ride, Spud! Keep 'em coming; here I sit in 90+F temperatures, the desert, dunes, and Mexico in a few miles and bikeless!!