Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #1

Zongshen 200GY-2: Clarke XT225 Fuel Tank Conversion

Second only to my Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion, my Clarke XT225 Fuel Tank conversion is the best change I have make to my Zongshen 200GY-2 motorcycle. The Clarke fuel tank is attractive, very durable, and holds 3.5 gallons of fuel (4.1 gallon advertised capacity). Since the stock fuel tank on my Zong only holds 2.0 gallons, I very much appreciate the extra capacity of the Clarke fuel tank!

My Zongshen motorcycle employs a very close copy of the current, 2010 Yamaha TW200 frame. No one currently manufactures an aftermarket fuel tank for the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle. :( However, the TW200 frame is similar to the Yamaha XT225 frame. Therefore, when I decided I needed extra fuel capacity for my Zong, I decided to experiment with the Clarke fuel tank designed for the Yamaha XT225 motorcycle. I ordered the Clarke XT225 fuel tank from Just Gas Tanks, with the provision that I could return the tank if I was not satisfied.

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...oducts_id=1091

The underside of the Clarke XT225 tank is formed to accommodate the shape of the TW200/XT225/200GY-2 engine block, frame, ignition coil, control cables, ignition wire, front forks, et cetera. The Clarke tank is designed to use the stock, Yamaha XT225 fuel petcock, which must be purchased separately.

The front of the XT225 fuel tank is supported by the same rubber “hockey pucks” employed by the TW200/200GY-2. However, the internal, longitudinal channel of the XT225 fuel tank is about 10mm more narrow than the TW200 fuel tank. In the photograph below, the stock TW200 fuel tank is on the left, and the stock XT225 fuel tank is on the right.

The rear of the Clarke tank is supported by an aluminum bracket, which is bolted into threaded, metal studs molded into the back of the fuel tank.

After the Clarke tank arrived, I trimmed 5 mm of rubber from each of the Zong’s “hockey pucks,” and mounted the tank to examine the fit. The Clarke tank was an almost perfect fit for my Zong. However, the XT225 fuel tank is slightly shorter than the Zong gas tank, and the engine block contacted the Clarke tank at the left rear of the tank, near the fuel petcock. :(

At this point, I was fairly confident the Clarke fuel tank could be adapted to fit my Zongshen motorcycle. However, I now required the assistance of my good friend Andy, a professional mechanic. After he examined the fuel tank, Andy said he could mount it securely, with only minor modifications. I will give the details of Andy’s craftsmanship in my next post.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #2

Originally I had considered either grinding the top of the engine, and/or depressing the high area on the Clarke fuel tank. Andy decided it was better to raise the Clarke tank slightly, and mount it a little rearward. As usual, Andy was correct.

The Clarke XT225 fuel tank is shorter than the stock Zongshen tank. Therefore, the forward mounting slots molded into the Clarke tank were resting on the Zongshen “hockey pucks,” but the tank was not pushed tightly against them. To remedy this situation, Andy fabricated some new, elongated “hockey pucks” from old, truck tire rubber. :idea: Instead of being circular, these “hockey pucks” are elongated in the rear by 5/8 inch. The extra length prevents the Clarke fuel tank from shifting forward on the frame. :idea: On the right side, Andy used a thicker piece of rubber to provide a little extra space for the Zong’s wiring harness. We also bent the ignition coil mounts a little bit, to move the ignition coil slightly more under the frame.

On the left side, Andy fabricated the “hockey puck” from a thinner piece of rubber.

To raise the rear of the fuel tank, Andy drilled a hole in a small, rectangular piece of rubber, about 1/4 inch thick.

We placed this rubber riser underneath the stock, Zongshen fuel tank mount.

To prevent the rear of the Clarke tank from moving forward, Andy welded some filler material into the back of the aluminum Clarke mounting plate. He also slightly bent the aluminum mounting plate in a vise, to make it align properly with the Zong’s frame.

We then mounted the Clarke tank to the frame, using the stock, Zongshen fuel tank mounting hardware.

I also substituted some button head bolts for the hex head bolts provided with the Clarke fuel tank mounting plate.

The Clarke XT225 fuel tank can use either a Yamaha XT225 fuel petcock, or a Yamaha TW200 fuel petcock. The TW200 fuel petcock was less expensive, and I liked its design better. Therefore, I used a Yamaha TW200 fuel petcock to complete the installation.

I am very pleased to report the Clarke fuel tank is solidly mounted to my motorcycle. After riding with this fuel tank for several thousand miles, I have discovered the need for only one minor adjustment. The front “hockey pucks” should be about 1/8 inch longer. I have temporarily placed two 1/8 inch, self-adhesive rubber pads in the back of the fuel tank slots. When he gets the time, Andy is going to grind two new, slightly longer "hockey pucks" for me. I am also exploring the possibility of using rubber exhaust hangers for the new “hockey pucks.”

http://www.sasab.com/Tailpipe-Hanger...ll-d25453.aspx

After the Clarke fuel tank was mounted, I rode my Zong home from Andy's workplace; the Clarke fuel tank has functioned perfectly ever since.

Since the frame was not altered, I can easily replace the original fuel tank on my Zong. However, I don’t think I will be making that decision. As a test, I rode my Zong until I reached the “reserve” portion of the Clarke fuel tank. I rode 208 miles, and used 2.8 gallons of fuel to reach “reserve.” Therefore, my Zong is getting 74 miles per gallon. I can ride about 200 miles on the main tank, with 0.7 gallons of fuel in reserve. The reserve tank should allow me to ride another 50 miles.

My motorcycle handles exactly as it did before; I have not noticed any difference. I am very pleased with my new Clarke XT225 fuel tank.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #3

I noticed you said the advertised capacity was 4.1 gal. and your experience was 3.5. You might find that after some age it actually might hold more. I have a 6 gallon plastic jerry jug I keep lashed in the bed of my old Nissan. The gas guage doesnt work so it is my reserve tank LOL.
Anyway, after being in the weather and the gas swelling when its hot outside, the can now holds a little over 7 gallons.

Even at 3.5 gallons your miles ahead of the rest of us.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I noticed you said the advertised capacity was 4.1 gal. and your experience was 3.5. You might find that after some age it actually might hold more. I have a 6 gallon plastic jerry jug I keep lashed in the bed of my old Nissan. The gas guage doesnt work so it is my reserve tank LOL.
Anyway, after being in the weather and the gas swelling when its hot outside, the can now holds a little over 7 gallons.

Even at 3.5 gallons your miles ahead of the rest of us.
I think you're right, Cal. I won't be surprised if the Clarke fuel tank expands a bit.

Apparently all of the aftermarket gas tank manufacturers quote "optimistic" figures for the fuel capacity of their products. :roll: However, they might be taking into account that their fuel tanks will expand with age. :idea:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #5

Boy Spud, I hope you take good care of Andy, a friend like that is priceless! Very skilled mechanic, great horse sense.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Boy Spud, I hope you take good care of Andy, a friend like that is priceless! Very skilled mechanic, great horse sense.
Amen! Before he mounted my Clarke fuel tank, I spent a weekend helping Andy install thicker insulation in his home. Andy and his family have been a wonderful blessing to me. Whenever he gets the time, I enjoy riding with him, and his sons.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #7

Life is good, Spud.

We are lucky people indeed!

Better to live in America and buy a Chinabike than to live in China and try to buy a Harley. 8)

Old 05-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #8

After riding about 5,000 miles with my 4.1-gallon, Clarke fuel tank, I think it is time to post an update. The Clarke fuel tank is very well constructed, and very durable. I am very pleased with this fuel tank; it has performed flawlessly since the day I installed it.

I more than doubled my fuel capacity when I installed the Clarke fuel tank, and I am very happy with the increased range of my motorcycle! I now explore many more trails, and take much longer routes through the remote areas of Idaho. I now have a 200-mile range before I hit the reserve portion of the fuel tank. I estimate I also have an additional range of about 90 miles with the reserve fuel.

Quite frankly, I don't know how I got along with the much smaller fuel tank! Fuel stations are sometimes scarce in the remote regions of America's Intermountain West. I enjoy the extra freedom, and the added security provided by the 4.1-gallon, Clarke fuel tank. I am very pleased I made this modification!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #9

That's great Spud and thanks for the 'long mileage' update!
So many times....we may get a product were happy with at first but after a year or so...change out minds. Hopefully you're still fully satisfied with the FMF TC2!....since I just mounted one! 8)

Funny thing about tank capacity..... When I bought my first Vic and Mrs. 2LZ was still riding her trusty Sportster....someone asked me about my reserve capacity. I said, "I did one better. I don't wait for the light to come on. I bought a 5000.00 low-fuel indicator." 8)
Every time she tanked up, I'd top off. I bet for 4 years my Vic never got under half a tank.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #10

$5000 for a Sporty? Wow. 8O

They're rarely under $7000 here, unless they're miled out.

Spud, any trouble from Johnny Law with the plastic tank on the street?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ
That's great Spud and thanks for the 'long mileage' update!
So many times....we may get a product were happy with at first but after a year or so...change out minds. Hopefully you're still fully satisfied with the FMF TC2!....since I just mounted one! 8)...
You're welcome, LZ. The FMF TC2 is a great silencer; I am very happy with it. I probably have ridden about 10,000 miles with the TC2, and it still sounds, and performs very well.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
...Spud, any trouble from Johnny Law with the plastic tank on the street?
I have had absolutely no problems here in the great, free, western state of Idaho, WG. It is very easy to get a license plate for dirt bikes here in Idaho, and the police couldn't care less if my fuel tank is either plastic, or steel.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #13

The tank looks great, and the extra fuel must be awesome.

One thing I would have to consider if doing such a mod would be (and this may sound silly) but even with my stock tank full I found my bike was a bit harder to handle... to put it bluntly with a full tank of gas on my lifanoid i was more likely to tip over lol I only tipped over twice... both after just filling tank... and had one close call... all while attempting to park lmao. I would have to be extra careful if I put a larger tank on a bike that sits so high up (like almost all enduros do) cause it would add extra weight to the bike at a higher point.

Probably not a worry for most men... but possibly a worry for women and smaller guys.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #14

That sounds like a reasonable concern for anybody Mel.

If the center of gravity is too high, the bike could be unpredicatable and dangerous. However, it appears that Spud's new tank has considerable lower sections that store quite a bit of fuel. Those areas are not present on the stock tank. My guess would be that not only does his bike handle well, it might even be better with the Clarke tank.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissann
The tank looks great, and the extra fuel must be awesome….
Thank you, Mel. Quite frankly, after doubling my bike’s range with the Clarke fuel tank, I would never want to ride another dual sport bike in Idaho without a large fuel tank! If you want to explore the beautiful, remote areas of America’s West, fuel pumps are usually few, and far between. Besides doubling my range, the Clarke tank has given me peace of mind; I no longer have to constantly worry about the location of the next fuel pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissann
…One thing I would have to consider if doing such a mod would be (and this may sound silly) but even with my stock tank full I found my bike was a bit harder to handle... to put it bluntly with a full tank of gas on my lifanoid i was more likely to tip over lol I only tipped over twice... both after just filling tank... and had one close call... all while attempting to park lmao. I would have to be extra careful if I put a larger tank on a bike that sits so high up (like almost all enduros do) cause it would add extra weight to the bike at a higher point.

Probably not a worry for most men... but possibly a worry for women and smaller guys.
Thank you for the insight regarding your Lifanoid’s fuel tank, Mel. Your concern is certainly reasonable. However, another factor to consider is the stock Zong sits much lower than a Lifanoid motorcycle. Even with two larger wheels, and a properly adjusted, Yamaha, XT225 shock absorber, my Zong still has a lower seat height than either a QLink, or a Lifan, dual sport motorcycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That sounds like a reasonable concern for anybody Mel.

If the center of gravity is too high, the bike could be unpredicatable and dangerous. However, it appears that Spud's new tank has considerable lower sections that store quite a bit of fuel. Those areas are not present on the stock tank. My guess would be that not only does his bike handle well, it might even be better with the Clarke tank.
I am pleased to report my Zong handles very well with the Clarke fuel tank. I can’t say my bike handles any better than it did with the stock fuel tank, but it certainly does not handle any worse with the Clarke fuel tank. My impressions are the bike handles exactly as it did before I converted to the Clarke fuel tank.

The Clarke, XT225 fuel tank is very well designed, and very well manufactured. I am very impressed with the quality of this fuel tank, and I would not hesitate to buy another fuel tank from Clarke Manufacturing.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220