Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #1

GPS Receiver Review: Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

One of the nicest accessories I have purchased for my dual sport motorcycle is my GPS receiver, a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx.

After reading a number of reviews, I decided to purchase a Garmin GPS receiver. I chose Garmin because of the durability, features, ease of use, and map sets available for Garmin GPS units. It seemed to me that most dual sport riders were using Garmin receivers for these same reasons, so I settled on purchasing a Garmin, and I began to research the different Garmin receivers.

I chose the eTrex Legend HCx for a number of reasons. The eTrex Legend HCx has a high-sensitivity receiver, a large color display, and long battery life. Also, this unit is very durable, waterproof, and easy to use. The eTrex Legend HCx controls are rugged, and easily manipulated. Finally, the eTrex Legend HCx unit is also reasonably priced. You can read the complete specifications for this receiver at the Garmin website, provided in the link below.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8701#featureTab

Besides the GPS receiver, I needed to purchase a map set. I chose the Garmin Topo U.S. 2008 map set. This map set is available in micro SD cards, or CD. I chose the CD version so I could also load the map set on my home computer. Using the free Garmin MapSource software on my computer, I can access the Garmin Topo U.S. 2008 maps for the entire United States. I can explore new areas of the United States, plan future trips, and even store travel routes on my computer. I can then download maps, and my pre-planned routes, to my handheld GPS unit. With a 2 gigabyte, micro SD card in my GPS receiver, I can load the topographic map set for the entire United States into my eTrex Legend HCx unit.

Using the eTrex Legend HCx is very simple. When you first turn on the receiver, it quickly acquires signals from the available GPS satellites. Unlike previous GPS receivers, the high-sensitivity receiver in the eTrex Legend HCx unit will receive satellite signals even when you are indoors.

After a minute or so, the GPS unit calculates its position, and displays a color map, showing your location. With the Garmin Topo U.S. 2008 map set loaded in my GPS receiver, I can also see elevation contours, as well as roads, trails, and geographic features. Below is a photograph of the screen display from my eTrex Legend HCx, taken at the summit of Bountiful Peak, Utah.

Below is a screen shot of the same area taken from the Garmin Topo U.S. 2008 software loaded on my home computer. As you can see, the computer display is almost identical to the display rendered on the GPS receiver.

This GPS receiver has many more features, but you don’t need to learn them all before you begin using the unit! Just turn the GPS receiver on, and it will instantly tell you where you are. You can also use the handy little joystick on the eTrex Legend HCx to scroll your view, and explore the topographic map of the immediate area. It is also very easy to zoom in, or zoom out the display.

Initially, I was going to connect my Garmin GPS receiver to my motorcycle’s battery for power. However, the eTrex Legend uses very little power, so I can get about 20 hours of operation from two AA rechargeable batteries. Therefore, I merely carry several extra batteries with me, and I don’t worry about wiring the GPS receiver to my motorcycle’s battery.

For ease of use, I bought a RAM mounting system for my eTrex Legend HCx receiver. The RAM mount reduces vibration, and keeps the GPS unit conveniently located on my handlebars.

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/GP...5/Default.aspx

If you wish to explore the country, get a GPS receiver for your dual sport motorcycle! I hardly ever go riding without my Garmin eTrex Legend HCx.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #2

Were you ever in advertising/marketing Spud?

Nice write-up and even nicer scenery. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Were you ever in advertising/marketing Spud? ...
No; are you offering me a job?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
...Nice write-up and even nicer scenery. Thanks.
You're welcome. I took this trip last autumn; the fall foliage was beautiful. Here is another photograph I took that trip, looking down one of the canyons into the Great Salt Lake Valley.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-09-2009, 01:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
X2.

I'm totally sold.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
X2.

I'm totally sold.
Thank you, WG. I promised you I would write a post about my GPS unit; I am glad you enjoyed this review.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #6

You would be an excellent technical writer from what I see. Very factual, not too flowery, pretty good in the explanatory aspect.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
You would be an excellent technical writer from what I see. Very factual, not too flowery, pretty good in the explanatory aspect.
Thank you, PCD.

In regards to map software, I have been told the Garmin topographic maps are most current. I am using the Garmin Topo U.S. 2008 map set. This software contains maps comparable to 1:100,000 scale U.S. Geological Survey topographic maps. The detail for these maps is pretty good, and I can load all the maps for the contiguous United States onto my 2GB micro SD card.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=28229

However, Garmin recently released their 24K topographic map sets. The map base for this software is very current, and contains more detailed topographic maps, comparable to 1:24,000 scale U.S. Geological Survey maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255

Naturally, the 24K software takes up more storage space. Therefore, you can load only 3 or 4 states onto a 2GB card, instead of the entire United States. The 24K software is sold for different regions of the United States, and each regional map set costs as much as the entire 100K map set. The typical rider will need to buy two of the 24K regional map sets, unless he is fortunate enough to be located near the middle of one of the regions.

When I was researching GPS receivers, I learned a lot about Garmin map software by talking to a knowledgeable salesman at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. If you are considering purchasing a GPS receiver, I encourage you to talk to a knowledgeable salesman. However, you might be interested to know the best prices for GPS receivers are found from vendors on the internet.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #8

Spud, do the maps you have cover Canada as well? If you care to check, I'm looking specifically for a region called Nickelmine, which is just North of Hope, BC.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Spud, do the maps you have cover Canada as well? If you care to check, I'm looking specifically for a region called Nickelmine, which is just North of Hope, BC.
Sorry, WG. :( The topographic maps I own cover only the United States.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
If you go to the Garmin website, you can view sample topographic maps for Canada. For your convenience, I have provided a link to the topographic maps for the Hope, B.C. area in the link below.

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapge...&rz=0&k=1&sc=1

Use the control buttons on the right of the screen to zoom in/out, and pan around the map. You can also choose either more, or less detail for the map. These maps are exactly the same, or very similar, to the topographic maps you would have available on your Garmin, handheld, GPS receiver.

To view sample topographic maps of other areas in Canada, click on the link below. Then click on the "View Map" tab, and zoom in on the desired Province.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...16#overviewTab

To view samples of the U.S. maps, click the following link. Then click on the "View Map" tab, and zoom in on the desired state.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...29#overviewTab

At the following link I have zoomed in on the Garmin sample map for the Bountiful Peak area, in Utah. You can compare this sample, Garmin topographic map with the actual screen shot I photographed on my GPS receiver, displayed earlier in this thread.

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapge...&rz=0&k=1&sc=1

The new, Garmin 24K topographic maps have four times the detail of these maps! However, only samples of the 100K maps sets are available to view online. Have fun!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #11

You're the King, Spud.

That's exactly the information I was looking for.

Now I'm down to choices. I have an expendable PDA that can be connected to a GPS receiver mouse, which would be able to pull data from the same satellites as a Garmin, etc. It has a Windows OS, which would allow me to sample different map software on a larger screen than any of the handhelds. It would be a bit more cumbersome and not waterproof, so I haven't made a decision yet.

Thanks for the link!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:
You're the King, Spud.

That's exactly the information I was looking for...
You're welcome, WG. I am glad I could help.
Quote:
...Now I'm down to choices. I have an expendable PDA that can be connected to a GPS receiver mouse, which would be able to pull data from the same satellites as a Garmin, etc. It has a Windows OS, which would allow me to sample different map software on a larger screen than any of the handhelds. It would be a bit more cumbersome and not waterproof, so I haven't made a decision yet.

Thanks for the link!
That sounds like a very interesting setup, WG.

It is an excellent idea to experiment with different map software. When choosing a GPS receiver, the map software available for the unit is one of the most important factors, if not the most important factor to consider. For dual sport or trail riding, I prefer topographic maps. Besides providing elevation contours and surface topography, the topo maps also show many dual track roads, and trails, that a street-oriented map set would not display. Therefore, when I was researching GPS receivers, I was looking for a unit that employed the best topographic maps.

I was lucky to find a salesman at the local Sportsman’s Warehouse who was a GPS guru. He was very knowledgeable about the GPS units he sold, and he told me the Garmin topographic maps were the least expensive, most current, and best. Garmin develops its own map software, and Garmin makes a big effort to ensure its maps are current, and accurate. For example, Garmin is currently completing the revision of its topographic maps for the entire United States. In contrast, GPS receivers from other manufacturers frequently use the U.S. Geological Survey topographic maps.

The U.S. Geological Survey maps were largely developed to serve a military purpose. However, as satellite, and computer technologies have advanced, the U.S. military has become increasingly less reliant on paper topographic maps. Therefore, many of the U.S. Geological Survey maps are very outdated; frequently they have not been revised for decades. Of course, the surface topography in most wilderness areas has not changed in decades; however, many of the trails have changed. As the decades transpire, many old trails disappear, and many new trails are developed.

The Garmin, 100K topographic map sets provide coverage for the entire United States, or Canada, for about $100. I have been told that purchasing the frequently outdated U.S.G.S. map sets can be much more expensive. In addition, Garmin is now completing its 24K topographic map sets, which provide four times more detail than the 100K maps sets. For all these reasons, most dual sport riders are using Gamin handheld GPS receivers.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #13

Hi Spud,

I use exactly the same GPS for geocaching. This is good fun on a bike and gives a great excuse (if one is needed!) to get out and about to new places - give it a go - I'm sure you will find some caches where you ride.

www.geocaching.com is the place to start.........

Just for fun I put the co-ords off of your GPS (as in your picture) in to the geocaching website and you were very close to four caches when you took that picture!

Frog

Old 11-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
Hi Spud,

I use exactly the same GPS for geocaching. This is good fun on a bike and gives a great excuse (if one is needed!) to get out and about to new places - give it a go - I'm sure you will find some caches where you ride.

www.geocaching.com is the place to start.........
Hi, Frog. Thanks for the tip! I have visited the Geocaching website, and I did learn that my GPS receiver is a popular model for geocaching. In fact, I did visit one geocache last year. It was fun to discover the geocache hidden in the Idaho landscape; I never would have seen it if I had not been given the exact coordinates. I am certain I pass many geocaches as I ride the highways and trails in Idaho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
…Just for fun I put the co-ords off of your GPS (as in your picture) in to the geocaching website and you were very close to four caches when you took that picture!

Frog
Can you download files with multiple geocache coordinates loaded as waypoints into your GPS receiver? I would visit more geocaches if I noticed a preloaded marker on my GPS display. However, I don’t particularly enjoy researching the geocaches, and loading the coordinates myself, before I go riding.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #15

As an avid geocacheing addict myself, I can help with some of the geocaching questions. There are a few ways to download the caches to your gps. You can download the Garmin app that sends the waypoint to your GPS. It is on the cache page itself.
The best way however involves becomeing a premium member at Geocaching.com. Just sign up for 1 month (3 dollars) and give it a try. 0 dollars a year. A premium membership will allow you to download waypoints in batches of 500. By downloading the free program GSAK, you can build a database and filter selected caches for a trip. You can then send the caches to your GPS via GSAK.
Yes, you will end up with little trasure chests as icons for the caches.
Some of the best views I have seen were exposed to me while searching for caches. people tend to hide them to bring attention to a place that would be past by with out noticeing.