Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #1

Gio Mini Beast Performance Exhaust Install

Hi Gang,

I spent the afternoon installing the Performance Exhaust for 50/110cc Mini ATV and Mini Beast on my daughters quad. You can acquire these direct from Gio on auction, as most of you will know. I chose the Blue colour to match my daughters silver and blue unit.

This is what comes in the box.

The performance exhaust comes with a single piece headpipe with two coloured mufflers which attach to the headpipe via gasket and three bolts.

The new mufflers close to a diameter of roughly 7/8" inside the tailpipe, where the original mufflers had an opening of roughly 1/2". This was done with a tape measure and not a caliper which would provide more accurate numbers. You can noticeably see the larger diameter in the comparison shot.

The install was a bit blue air inducing. My suspicion is this item is actually designed for the 50cc Mini ATV (and now the 110) and not the Mini Beast itself. The original exhaust on the mini beast has a longer headpipe, with a split between the two dual exhausts mufflers. The longer headpipe allowed the cross pipe to sit in back of the frame behind the shock, inbetween it and the frame. This new headpipe just barely fits in between the motor and the frame, and this installer had to remove the shock and the sprocket cover to get it into position.

I'm also not all that comfortable with where the ground wires that bolt onto the sprocket cover are now resting, very close to the head pipe. I feel this could be an issue with heat.. and they don't look very easy to reroute.

The other issue I had was with the shorter 'reach' of the headpipe, the mufflers are up against the plastic body kit on the back. The bottom of the body kit is pushing down on them, right where the headpipe bolts into the muffler. I have taken video, and have tried to show this clearly in the video. I also had a difficult time getting the supplied hangers to reach the frame slot, due to the fact the mufflers were pushing up against the body kit. With some effort I managed to get them on, but was nervous as I was hearing groaning pipe and metal, and was worried I was putting too much pressure on the exhaust port.

At this point my camera batteries died, and I had black hands so didn't replace, so that's it for the stills... ahh, but I have video!

My first impressions of this exhaust is this is a looks mod more than a performance mod. The shiney blue pipes do look cool, much more attractive than the original flat black ones.

I would say they have a slightly deeper sound, but I find this is very minor, and I'm probably noticing because I 'want' to notice.

I took the quad for a rip up and down the street, and performance increase is minimal. I'd say it's a slight bit louder at power than the orginals, and perhaps a slight bit more responsive.

I'd like to try these on the Mini ATV as well, as I think they will really help that motor breathe, and probably install easier due to the frame design.

I recommend the agrivation of install for the Mini Beast if you are after aesthetics more than performance.

I have two videos, showing and letting you hear the original and upgraded sound, as well as seeing the install and some of my concern points.

Always looking forward to your comments.

Vid links.

Original:
http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/s...rigexhaust.flv

Performance:
http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/s...newexhaust.flv

Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #2

I don't see a difference in sound at all!

Old 11-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
I don't see a difference in sound at all!
It's pretty minute, and hard to hear on video. I was surprised, I figured it'd be throatier with the clearly larger hole in the end.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #4

T, when you see what's in these pipes, you'll have a good laugh. Unless the pipe is straight through, the exhaust has a ridiculous path to take.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #5

Good lord....look at those hands!!......you a linebacker turbo?

(and here you thought I was going to razz you on how clean your hands were eh?)

Thanks for the most excellent writeup, great job man.

Mine should be here by the weekend but I may have an easier time of it due to the frame size of the mini atv.

Maybe the rear axle and front C-clips will show up as well.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
T, when you see what's in these pipes, you'll have a good laugh. Unless the pipe is straight through, the exhaust has a ridiculous path to take.
I was tempted to bust open one of the stockers to see, but thought that might be a bit overzealous.. plus, I wasn't sure if I was going to leave these on, I don't want to melt the body kit.. however, after running it awhile and roaring up and down the street at WOT (my neighbours must love me) they didn't seem to get too hot so maybe it's okay.

The new pipes are pretty much straight through as you can see from the pics.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Good lord....look at those hands!!......you a linebacker turbo?

(and here you thought I was going to razz you on how clean your hands were eh?)

Thanks for the most excellent writeup, great job man.

Mine should be here by the weekend but I may have an easier time of it due to the frame size of the mini atv.

Maybe the rear axle and front C-clips will show up as well.
Haha Pete.. I took the photos before I started getting detailed for the most part. When my hands got dirty I never took a shot of those then. This thing has been running rich, and the exhaust port was pretty carboned up. Got all over my hands at that point. Still have it under my fingernails.. maybe my wife will like me tonight as I look less like a pencil pushing officeworker now.

Yes, W&G and I laughed at ourselves messing with this minuature stuff, as we both have baseball mitts for hands.

I think the install will be easier on the Mini ATV. I'm sure the pipe design is the same as what is on the Mini ATV. I'd say this 'barely fit' my Mini Beast as a 'bolt on' product.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
I think the install will be easier on the Mini ATV. I'm sure the pipe design is the same as what is on the Mini ATV. I'd say this 'barely fit' my Mini Beast as a 'bolt on' product.
It wasnt.

To start with, the headpipe on the bike had no copper crush gasket which is why it fit perfectly. The performance headpipe will not slide in to the recess in the head properly if you use a gasket. It sort of sits on the surface of the machined area, but on the other hand it doesnt leak (shrug).

Next the back end of the exhaust pipe (prior to putting the "Y" portion on) lines up directly with a frame tube at the back of the bike. Zero clearance.

Think of it this way, take a drinking glass, turn it sideways and go press the mouth up against a table leg. If you can picture that in your mind, well, thats what I ended up with and still had to install the "Y" pipe.

I was slightly annoyed at this point, but of course the bike is so small if you try and bend something on the bike you will break it, so the pipe came off again and got bent.

Pipe went back on and now I had an inch of clearance.

Installed the Y pipe and the cans and realized the cans were not centered and there was no way in Gods green earth the hangers were going to bolt up. Each can is 2" away from the frame.

Anyway, I jury rigged it up for now but its shoddy work so no pics til I think of something. To give you an idea of how far away from the frame the cans are, I'm using 2.5" stainless bolts. Supplied bolts are 3/4".

It was frustrating because something, somewhere, has changed. I've seen enough pics of the 50cc mini's to know they are supposed to bolt up nicely, so I suspect the exhaust I got was meant for the 50cc and therefore it does not fit "quite right" on the 110cc mini.

Its a little louder going down the road (cans are a straight thru design) and it looks very cool but I dont think it added anything to the speed.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

To start with, the headpipe on the bike had no copper crush gasket which is why it fit perfectly. The performance headpipe will not slide in to the recess in the head properly if you use a gasket. It sort of sits on the surface of the machined area, but on the other hand it doesnt leak (shrug).
I will admit, I got two of those copper washers and was scratching my head at what the hell I would do with them. When I removed the original head pipe, there was nothing in there. When W&G posted a picture of the gasket for the 200cc I went, "ahh that's what those are supposed to be for" Mine does not leak, and it didn't leak before (from the exhaust port) so I'm not stressing. That may sound weird coming from a former engine guy, but I'm used to REAL gaskets. ..and thinking back, I don't recall feeling much lip in there for those to crush against.

I didn't think my hangers were going to work either. Lots of force and swearing at that point. I did manage to get them somewhat.

Glad I'm not alone on not noticing much power increase. I don't believe you've put the Mikuni on yet? Perhaps better flow there will make the exhaust live up to it's 'performance' billing..

All in all this is a really annoying upgrade due to some fitting issues it seems.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

I will admit, I got two of those copper washers and was scratching my head at what the hell I would do with them. When I removed the original head pipe, there was nothing in there. When W&G posted a picture of the gasket for the 200cc I went, "ahh that's what those are supposed to be for" Mine does not leak, and it didn't leak before (from the exhaust port) so I'm not stressing. That may sound weird coming from a former engine guy, but I'm used to REAL gaskets. ..and thinking back, I don't recall feeling much lip in there for those to crush against.

I didn't think my hangers were going to work either. Lots of force and swearing at that point. I did manage to get them somewhat.

Glad I'm not alone on not noticing much power increase. I don't believe you've put the Mikuni on yet? Perhaps better flow there will make the exhaust live up to it's 'performance' billing..

All in all this is a really annoying upgrade due to some fitting issues it seems.
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. If I'm fabricating something, OK, fine, I expect problems, but just once I'd like something that is supposed to fit to fit.
Mikuni is waiting for the bar mount choke and cable. Huge PITA to reach under there and operate choke manually, and I also want to do it all in one shot.
My hangers are impossible to fit. Lets just say I got one on and it pulled the pipe over about an inch towards the frame so it looks assinine.

I have a few spare Monster hangers and used them, but it looks like crap and I dont like it.

Figured out how Im going to fix it.

1.5" tube spacer cut from any old pipe with about 3/8" ID.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #11

Pete, Yozalo said that the OD of his exhaust pipe is 2.4mm (young guys think in Metric ), and that happens to match the ID of a Beast or Monster pipe.

Yozalo is going to try and fit a Pit Bike muffler on his quad, and I suspect he'll try sleeving the pipe so that the new muffler will slip on. Since you have a Monster pipe that came with your pink muffler, you could liberate a chunk of it and sleeve your 110 pipe. You too could then use a Pit Bike muffler instead of this dual exhaust setup. Last night, T and I warmed up his quad for the first time with the new setup, and that pipe sounds good. Since it's a straight through design like the Monster, I'll bet you'll feel a performance increase.

My $0.02.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Pete, Yozalo said that the OD of his exhaust pipe is 2.4mm (young guys think in Metric ), and that happens to match the ID of a Beast or Monster pipe.

Yozalo is going to try and fit a Pit Bike muffler on his quad, and I suspect he'll try sleeving the pipe so that the new muffler will slip on. Since you have a Monster pipe that came with your pink muffler, you could liberate a chunk of it and sleeve your 110 pipe. You too could then use a Pit Bike muffler instead of this dual exhaust setup. Last night, T and I warmed up his quad for the first time with the new setup, and that pipe sounds good. Since it's a straight through design like the Monster, I'll bet you'll feel a performance increase.

My $0.02.
Good idea.
I'm going to try the little spacer idea first to correctly position the 2 cans. The spacers will be located between the frame and hanger.

Those mini dual exhaust mufflers are a complete straight through design as well, exactly the same as the Monster pipe on my beast.