Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
I Hit a Dog

There is a first time for everyone, I went down thursday eve after hitting a dog, damm thing came out of nowhere, it was about the size of a jack russel terrier. I broke my left collarbone, cracked 3 ribs, and suffered a little road rash. It happened about 2 blocks from my house doing about 25mph. It broke the left mirror and front blinker, bent the gear shifter, rashed the front fender, and left side plate on the new db03. My son rode the bike home while my wife took me to the emergency room. Just lucky I wasn't going any faster.
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100

Old 03-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #2

sorry to hear of your incident......but it could always be worse....we're just all glad you are able to tell us about it!..........

I've been lucky, riding since 1968.......I hit a dog with my brothers CB350 around 1973,.....and I went down once on wet roads/wet leaves with my Suz GT380, turning from one road to another [1st gear]...
and thats been it..............

best wishes for fast, full recovery
2019 Brozz 250

Old 03-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #3

My biggest pet peeve is owners who are irresponsible. I hope the dog bit the dust to teach the owner a lesson. If not, I'd see if you can bring charges against the owner. All dogs must be leashed.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #4

Here, a trip to the emergency room starts at $854 just to walk through the door...

I would DEFINITELY be paying that dog owner a visit, bills in hand. If he didnt want to p{l}ay nicely, a trip to small claims court would be coming for him.

Hopefully you made a police report of the accident.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
Is that why you havent been on here?!?!?! holy hell, im glad to hear you are fairly ok. I know those collarbones and ribs are a sore SORE healing process (broken mine as well ) Just be happy all your major limbs are still functioning! All the best of luck to you on your speedy recovery! Heck, you should be good to go right as weather warms back up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c55427
My biggest pet peeve is owners who are irresponsible. I hope the dog bit the dust to teach the owner a lesson. If not, I'd see if you can bring charges against the owner. All dogs must be leashed.
you must be a cat person...

Thats a pretty ignorant comment... My dog escaped from my house on wednesday night because one of my relatives let it go out the door... I was outside trying to get her to come back and she wouldn't, she ran across the street and almost got hit... My heart stopped. I don't plan on having a kid, so my dog IS my kid. If a kid had been in the road, and gotten hit, would you have said " I HOPE THAT KID BIT THE DUST TO TEACH HIS/HER PARENTS A LESSON. HELL, GO AHEAD AND SUE THE PARENTS FOR NOT HOLDING HIS/HER HAND CROSSING THE ROAD.."

people like you are what make this country head down its long shit spiral, not because of your comment, but because of your mentality. pass the blame..... sue whomever can be sued....

Back to the problem at hand tho, sorry to rant in the midst of your injury... Let us know if there is anything we can do for you! Chinariders are a big family!

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1
Here, a trip to the emergency room starts at $854 just to walk through the door...

I would DEFINITELY be paying that dog owner a visit, bills in hand. If he didnt want to p{l}ay nicely, a trip to small claims court would be coming for him.

Hopefully you made a police report of the accident.
thats what insurance is for...

must not be any dog owners here.... :roll:

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #7

There are dog owners here and we love our animals. However we are responsible dog owners and understand that dogs need to be kept under control. The road is no place for a dog, people are more important than dogs. I hate it when I am driving down the road and a huge dog jumps out and starts chasing. A dog like that deserves to get hit. Plain and simple.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonababe
There are dog owners here and we love our animals. However we are responsible dog owners and understand that dogs need to be kept under control. The road is no place for a dog, people are more important than dogs. I hate it when I am driving down the road and a huge dog jumps out and starts chasing. A dog like that deserves to get hit. Plain and simple.
that i agree with.. i've seen people that have dogs that let them walk next to them with no leash.. this is how accidents happen. There IS a difference between responsible and irresponsible owners...

my biggest pet peeve is when people dont clean up after their dogs.... SUCH ignorance.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #9

I don't know about that entirely Akonababe, there are plenty of people in this world(rapist, murderers) that I would take my dog over anyday.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #10

I have a rott/shepherd and a wolf hybrid.

Securely fenced.

Loose dogs are illegal in most places. If the loose dog causes an accident, the owner should be responsible, not the insurance company. If the dog bites someone, the owner should be responsible.

If the owner cannot be identified, that's what insurance is for.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Thats a pretty ignorant comment... My dog escaped from my house on wednesday night because one of my relatives let it go out the door... I was outside trying to get her to come back and she wouldn't, she ran across the street and almost got hit...
I stand by my comment. Your dog is NOT TRAINED.

Growing up we had dogs and my parents still have a dog. Their dog would never do that. Plain and simple. It is well trained. Dogs need training and frankly dog owners apparently need training too.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
well, we have no leash laws in this community, a dog can be picked up if it's being a nuisance. If I didn't kill the dog when I hit it, I'll let my Blue Heeler get ahold of it next time my wife and I go walking. The same dog had ran at us before a couple of weeks back and Zip scared it off after pinning it to the ground. We rarely use a leash on her, she has never been agressive towards people, just other dogs that seem threating. I wouldn't have a dog running loose that attacks people or one that doesn't listen. I apperciate the good wishes, maybe I won't write anything too stupid on here since I've got plenty of hydro's for pain, ahh yes, drugs are good some of the time.........
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100

Old 03-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #13

Hope you heal fast and get back in the saddle soon!!

Old 03-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by c55427
Quote:
Thats a pretty ignorant comment... My dog escaped from my house on wednesday night because one of my relatives let it go out the door... I was outside trying to get her to come back and she wouldn't, she ran across the street and almost got hit...
I stand by my comment. Your dog is NOT TRAINED.

Growing up we had dogs and my parents still have a dog. Their dog would never do that. Plain and simple. It is well trained. Dogs need training and frankly dog owners apparently need training too.
If you stand by that comment, you ARE ignorant. If the owner was an idiot, then so be it, but it's not the dogs fault.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 03-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1
I have a rott/shepherd and a wolf hybrid.

Securely fenced.

Loose dogs are illegal in most places. If the loose dog causes an accident, the owner should be responsible, not the insurance company. If the dog bites someone, the owner should be responsible.

If the owner cannot be identified, that's what insurance is for.
before everyone gets their panties in a bundle over this.....

i'm not saying i don't think that the owner shouldnt be held responsible for things.. but you are telling me that your dog hasnt ever escaped your yard, or gotten loose and you've had to go find it? i dont think i know anyone that has a dog that hasnt gone thru a situation like that. Shit happens, dogs get loose either because someone makes a mistake or something catches their attention and they dig a 7" deep hole under the fence to get out.

I have a 2yr old japanese akita. the only fence that will stop my dog from escaping is a 8ft tall privacy fence.. which happens to not be allowed by code in my area unless you own a pool, which i dont.

Akitas can climb chain link fences and they can jump or climb over fences that are in the neighborhood of 4'. I dont have tons of options. So therefore i don't let her run around outside without supervision, and infact most of the time use a stake with hook and 50' lead to let her walk around and play outside.

All i'm saying is there are owners that are irresponsible and could give two craps about anyone else.. or their dog (which sounds like to be the case from the statement of how it was loose in the past and whatnot)

But everytime a dog is loose doesnt mean that the owner is irresponsible or deserves to have thier dog get run over..

If i had a golden retriever im sure my dog would be fantastically trained. I have a japanese akita, its not a easily trainable dog, i've had her thru professional training by barkbusters in which i was a part of the training process. Training with an akita is a lifelong process.. If you slip one time in a situation, you can expect to have to work 2x harder to regain full control of the dogs behavior.

Now then there will be people who say "why get an akita.. if they are so hard to train.."

plain and simple.. there are dogs, and there are akitas. akitas are considered a national treasure in japan, they are one of the most loyal and protective dogs of their family that you can get. They also happen to be good with children and have a distinct personality that makes them special...

basically.. this topic is never going to end.. so i've said my bit, but i still think its rediculous for people to have to pass blame on about everything.
in bfe's situation, i feel terrible for him, and the fact that the dog that was a part of the situation had been running amuck before. that to me is considered negligence on the part of the owners.... someone needs to send the aspca to their house and have them do an investigation to decide whether to take the dog away or not..

Closed Thread