Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #1

Zongshen 200GY-2: Ricochet Skid Plate

Several days ago I enlisted the aid of my good friend Andy to help me install a skid plate on my Zongshen 200GY-2.

Ricochet Offroad Armor, in Salt Lake City, Utah, manufactures this skid plate, which is designed to fit the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle.

http://69.94.125.252/store/page276.html

The front of the skid plate is secured to the motorcycle’s downtube by two angle brackets that attach to a lower engine mount bolt. The rear of the skid plate is securely attached to a metal plate that previously held the rear of the Zong’s original, plastic skid plate. These attachment points are shown inside the yellow circles in the photograph below.

Constructed of 3/16” aluminum, this sturdy skid plate also provides a hole for draining the engine oil.

All mounting hardware was included with this skid plate; however, we decided not to employ the two, rear mounting brackets provided with the plate. Instead, Andy drilled two holes in the Ricochet skid plate to align with the threaded bolt holes located in the Zong’s original, rear skid plate mount. We then attached the rear of the Ricochet skid plate using the original mounting bolts.

The Ricochet skid plate is an excellent product, and it only took 30 minutes to install. I am now very pleased to know my Zong’s engine block is well protected.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #2

That's an excellent idea. The last thing you want is a punctured crankcase. 8O

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's an excellent idea. The last thing you want is a punctured crankcase. 8O
Amen! I bounced some big rocks off the crankcase this summer, and I did not like the sound they made. :( One rock put a big crack in the Zong's plastic "skid plate." 8O Therefore, I consider the Ricochet skid plate a good "insurance policy."

Returning home this afternoon after taking these photographs, I decided to change my engine oil. The Ricochet skid plate has a hole in it located directly under the oil drain plug; therefore, changing the oil was an easy task.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #4

Looks awesome Spud! Metal is so much better than plastic for a skid plate, and if you get a ding in it you can pound it out whereas with plastic it just breaks. Suits the Zong to a "T"

Old 11-28-2009, 04:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Looks awesome Spud! Metal is so much better than plastic for a skid plate, and if you get a ding in it you can pound it out whereas with plastic it just breaks. Suits the Zong to a "T"
Thank you, Rider. The Ricochet skid plate is constructed with 3/16" thick aluminum; it is extremely rugged! Also, the mounting hardware is very strong, and robust. I will need to drag this skid plate over solid rock before I will ever come close to denting it! I discovered this skid plate by reading several posts on the TW200 forum.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/47780/ShowPost.aspx
http://tw200forum.com/forums/80379/ShowPost.aspx

Since my Zong is not an exact copy of the TW200 motorcycle, I thought it was best to order both a TW200 skid plate, and an XT230 skid plate. With both skid plates available, I could determine which skid plate fit my Zong the best. Therefore, I called Ricochet Offroad Armor, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover I was talking with the owner. I asked the owner if I could order both skid plates, and return the one I did not use for a refund. The owner is a very pleasant, helpful gentleman, and he quickly agreed to my request.

I am extremely happy with this product, and the customer service I received. If you need a skid plate for your motorcycle, I strongly encourage you to investigate if Ricochet Offroad Armor manufactures one to fit your bike. I highly recommend this vendor.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220