Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

ACK!!! They killed Buell!

Nuts.

From Motorcycle online:

In the meantime, sadly, Buell’s parent company Harley-Davidson announced in October the cessation of Buell production as a cost-cutting move. We’ve long been enamored with Buell motorcycles, holding an affinity for the creative American mind of company founder Erik Buell

I have also admired his engineering and ability to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. His most recent creations have been particularly interesting and high performance.

I don't mind losing Saturn, Saab, Pontiac, etc, but this sucks. :(

Old 01-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #2

I kinda liked Saturns, Good cars. Buell was the Anti Harley it was fast smooth, Looked good, And people could ride one without paying an ooober ton of cash for an outdated design . Of course they would get rid of it....Plus You could ride one without tassles.....The people who made tassles must have been going bankrupt 8O

Old 01-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #3

Read more here: http://www.buell.com/en_us/company/n...p?news_id=1497

Eric Buell was in a video (when this was first announced) that was really hard to watch. It reminded me of a hostage video.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-20-2010, 02:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
It reminded me of a hostage video.
Which in fact it really was.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
I kinda liked Saturns, Good cars. Buell was the Anti Harley it was fast smooth, Looked good, And people could ride one without paying an ooober ton of cash for an outdated design . Of course they would get rid of it....Plus You could ride one without tassles.....The people who made tassles must have been going bankrupt 8O
I have to agree. The only Harley that ever caught my eye was the XLCR.

I still think the XB-9 is one great looking bike and seriously considered buying one. Still on the "short list" if I ever replace the Skorpion.
Bill

Old 02-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #6

Stay far, far away from Buell motorcycles. I've owned several and they are not worth the time it took to put them together, IMO. If you can get one for $3500 or less, you may have a positive experience. I doubt it! Back in 1999, I purchased a brand new leftover S1W Black Lightning. One year later, I could have bought the same bike for $3500. Between the cost of ownership, the wonky handling and the fact that I had to deal with Harley-Davidson, I would NEVER own another one. Harley was the deal breaker for me. I've never seen a more worthless place to spend money than a H-D dealership. My local H-D dealership actually tired to killl me! Crap products, crap technicians, and crap parts! Crap, crap, crap!

For what it's worth. Erik Buell killed Buell Motorcycles when he inked the deal and got in bed with them back in 1995. He just didn't know it yet! Innovation is the polar opposite from Harley-Davidson. You couldn't give me one! My next project bike will be a diesel powered cruiser, just to show the faithful what a real motorcycle actually is. I'm going to ride it to all the rallies.

Yes, that's how I really feel! :roll:

Wow, that felt good! :wink:

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 03-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #7

I know why people buy a Harley, I just wonder if they really think it through. The only thing that Ilike about them is the sound.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #8

It's the resale..........

Old 03-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #9

Not so much anymore. Still good though. I remember back in the 90s when you had to wait in line.

Allen