Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Zongshen 200GY-2: PBI Countershaft Sprockets

The Zongshen 200GY-2 is a great little motorcycle. However, I have discovered the version of the Zong exported to the United States is geared excessively high at the factory. Therefore, I highly recommend that Sierra 200GY-2 owners experiment with lower gearing on their motorcycles.

When lowering the gear ratio on a motorcycle, you usually have two options; you can either substitute a smaller countershaft sprocket, or a larger rear sprocket. However, if you wish to lower the gearing on the Zongshen 200GY-2, you have only one choice.

The stock, Sierra 200GY-2 employs a Kawasaki BN125 rear hub, and a Kawasaki BN125 rear sprocket. Unfortunately for Zong owners, the 46-tooth, Zongshen/Kawasaki, rear sprocket is the largest you can obtain. Therefore, if you wish to reduce the Sierra 200GY-2 gearing, you must experiment with smaller countershaft sprockets.

Fortunately, the Zongshen 200GY-2 employs Yamaha, TW200 countershaft sprockets, and these sprockets are available in a variety of sizes. In my experience, the Zong performs best with either a 13-tooth, or a 14-tooth countershaft sprocket. Since the 14-tooth countershaft sprockets are stock size on the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle, they are widely available from a number of manufacturers. To the best of my knowledge, the 13-tooth countershaft sprockets are only available from two sources: PBI, and Parts Unlimited. A comprehensive list of sprockets available for the Zongshen 200GY-2 can be found in the following thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7565

I have experimented with 13-tooth, 14-tooth, and 15-tooth countershaft sprockets manufactured by PBI; I like them very much. You can obtain PBI countershaft sprockets from any motorcycle shop, or online vendor that carries products supplied from the Western Power Sports catalog.

I usually purchase my PBI sprockets from the Thumpertalk.com parts store; however, the PBI sprockets are difficult to find while browsing that website. :( If you have difficulty locating the PBI sprockets, send an email, or telephone the sales representatives at Thumpertalk, and they will help you. Alternatively, you can search the Western Power Sports catalog at Thumpertalk, and find them yourself.

At the Thumpertalk store, the PBI sprockets for the Zongshen 200GY-2/Yamaha TW200 motorcycles have part number 50-733-XX; the last two digits indicate the number of teeth. Therefore, a 13-tooth, PBI sprocket has part number 50-733-13. A 14-tooth, PBI sprocket has part number 50-733-14, et cetera.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #2

Good data, Spud.

My brief encounter with the Death Zong was that the factory gearing was great, if you planned to use it only on the street. It seemed geared for top speed and fuel mileage. If it was to be used off road, the stock gearing selection would have been very poor, IMHO.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Good data, Spud.

My brief encounter with the Death Zong was that the factory gearing was great, if you planned to use it only on the street. It seemed geared for top speed and fuel mileage. If it was to be used off road, the stock gearing selection would have been very poor, IMHO.
Thank you, Doc. I only used the stock gearing before I installed my FMF Turbine Core 2 silencer. However, I still believe even street riders should experiment with the 14-tooth, countershaft sprocket. The 14T sprocket does not lose much top end speed versus the stock, 15T sprocket. However, the 14T sprocket will accelerate much better, and it will hold top speed much better fighting headwinds, or going uphill. If you ride off road, the 13T sprocket is even better.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7565

PBI is the only manufacturer that produces a 12-tooth sprocket for the Zong/TW200. If you want the most torque off road, the 12T sprocket is best.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #4

For anyone new to the motorcycle hobby, it's not recommended that a sprocket smaller than 12 teeth be used on the front sprocket (not that there is a smaller sprocket available for the TW, this is just a general tip).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to bluefox Send a message via MSN to bluefox Send a message via Yahoo to bluefox
Re: Zongshen 200GY-2: PBI Countershaft Sprockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
The stock, Sierra 200GY-2 employs a Kawasaki BN125 rear hub, and a Kawasaki BN125 rear sprocket.
Spud
Spud. I am a Zongshen Sierra 200 owner, and I am pleased with the bike, but I have had a tough time finding a replacement rear sprocket. Zongshen America in South Florida has been SLOW in geting me a new one, we are talking months now. I am interested in the portion of your post quoted above. Do you know if it matters what year I select when looking for a new BN125 rear sprocket? I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Blue Fox

Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox
Quote:
The stock, Sierra 200GY-2 employs a Kawasaki BN125 rear hub, and a Kawasaki BN125 rear sprocket.
Spud
Spud. I am a Zongshen Sierra 200 owner, and I am pleased with the bike, but I have had a tough time finding a replacement rear sprocket. Zongshen America in South Florida has been SLOW in geting me a new one, we are talking months now. I am interested in the portion of your post quoted above. Do you know if it matters what year I select when looking for a new BN125 rear sprocket? I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Blue Fox
No, the year does not matter. You will probably get the best price ordering a 2010 sprocket. However, since I converted to a Yamaha XT225 rear wheel, I have two extra Zongshen rear sprockets. If you wish, I will sell you a Zongshen rear sprocket for $15, plus actual shipping costs to your home.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to bluefox Send a message via MSN to bluefox Send a message via Yahoo to bluefox

Spud,

Quote:
...However, since I converted to a Yamaha XT225 rear wheel, I have two extra Zongshen rear sprockets. If you wish, I will sell you a Zongshen rear sprocket for $15, plus actual shipping costs to your home.

Spud
What condition are the sprockets in? Do you recommend that I change the front sprocket as well (for the purpose of changing the chain). and do you happen to have any rear tires in good shape you would like to sell also?

BTW thanks for all the info you provide on this bike, so far it has proven to be very valuable.

Blue Fox

Old 02-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox
Spud,

Quote:
...However, since I converted to a Yamaha XT225 rear wheel, I have two extra Zongshen rear sprockets. If you wish, I will sell you a Zongshen rear sprocket for $15, plus actual shipping costs to your home.

Spud
What condition are the sprockets in? Do you recommend that I change the front sprocket as well (for the purpose of changing the chain). and do you happen to have any rear tires in good shape you would like to sell also?

BTW thanks for all the info you provide on this bike, so far it has proven to be very valuable.

Blue Fox
You are welcome.

My Zongshen rear sprockets are brand new; they have never been used. I also have a stock, rear street tire, a Cheng Shin Barracuda. If you are interested in buying any of these items, let me know; I will send you a personal message with more information.

I do recommend you replace the countershaft sprocket; this sprocket wears more quickly than the rear sprocket. I also recommend you perform the left crankcase cover modification when you replace the countershaft sprocket.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7559

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #9

Sprockets

I will take the sprockets but pass on the tire. I would like to get into dirt tires by this summer. I sent you a PM for the sprocket info.