Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #1

Ideas

Ok just got carb cleaned and bike dies after about 15min just warming up. The wait five min and it will start like a champ and then the whole process starts over. Tried replacing brain, have two extras.

Weird problem anyone have any suggestions. only thing i haven't done is valve adjustment but its only at 1100 miles 2007 lifan gy200 "A" Model

It acts flooded when it dies, wait 3-4min starts right back up and will idle another 20min then die again then restart 3-4 min.

:roll:

Old 03-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #2

Coil getting hot?

Old 03-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #3

Let's start with the basics. How's the plug?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #4

NEW

Brand new plug

Old 03-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #5

Like AZ200cc says, is the coil getting hot? Also, was the bike running properly before cleaning the carb?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #6

How

It was not running before carb clean, dont know if coil hot underseat ill check that in a few min, would it be hot to touch?

Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #7

I figure

All i can figure is the spark is stopping when coil or coil wire gets to certain temp stops sparking and thus floods the engine for 3-5 min.

? Need to know way to test if coil under seat overheating.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

So when it stops running you pull the plug and it is fuel soaked ?

if it is not fuel soaked is the plug still getting spark right after it dies ?

if its still getting spark and not fuel soaked right after it dies then you may have a fuel flow problem

So run it until it dies then pull the plug ASAP and check it out if it has lots of fuel check for spark but be careful not to ingite all that fuel (great balls of fire -) .

if its a fuel flow problem start with the vent on the fuel cap and go through the rest of the system to make sure you have a good steady flow to the carb and make sure the float needle doesnt stick.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #9

Wierd

Ok i decided to just get it out on the road, drove well over 15mi and didn't die once.

But if you let it sit there and idle for 15-20 just dies like its flooded leading me to believe that the coil wire or the coil is getting hot, but the 15mi ride dispelled that theory.

Idle set at 1000 rpm. It didn't die again so i haven't pulled the brand new plug. Got AAA so i'm gonna do a few more test rides and try to run through a tank or two see what happens.

Im certainly open to any other input. Not sure how to see if float needle is sticking, but the carb was just cleaned and jetted for the altitude in NM by a bike shop. Rode it for several months here with no probs something gunked up the carb. By the Honda Dealership will not work on these bikes they were straight up rude, guess they dont need money in this economy

Old 03-22-2010, 01:55 AM   #10

I didn't think you were supposed to let any kind of bike idle for that length of time. It sounds to me like something is overheating and shutting itself down.

Case in point, when you're riding it, air is flowing around and cooling the motor and electrical parts like it's supposed to and you're not having the problem.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #11

yes

Yeah, i agree something is getting hot during idle. Im gonna give it some more ride time. Funny you stated that it should idle that long because thats exactly what my mechanic said. Should only idle 5-10 min less if warm weather.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #12

Re: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertulsa
Yeah, i agree something is getting hot during idle. Im gonna give it some more ride time. Funny you stated that it should idle that long because thats exactly what my mechanic said. Should only idle 5-10 min less if warm weather.
Agreed. An aircooled bike is helpless to cool itself at idle without airflow.

I originally thought maybe it was a clogged fuel filter. If it happens again pull the fuel line at the carb and see if the fuel flows freely.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #13

Ok

Yeah, i concur I will not let it idle so long, and will pull fuel line if does it again check gas flow.

This thing has made me a mechanic; unwittingly, not for the faint at heart or the non-mechanical.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #14

Re: Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertulsa
Yeah, i concur I will not let it idle so long, and will pull fuel line if does it again check gas flow.

This thing has made me a mechanic; unwittingly, not for the faint at heart or the non-mechanical.
Yeah. I'm afraid a CB will do that to a guy! :?

At least you have a team of non-experts to call on for help. 8)

Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #15

true

yeah you guys have saved my life many times.

First rule, after you buy one is locktite everything, replace all Chinese rubber (including, tires hoses fuel lines etc.) and regularly check for loose bolts.

Grateful for all the help