Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 PM   #1

Will This Fit???

k first off i no i should have posted this under bikes but u all been so helpfull with the atv was thinkin i would toss this at you to lmao

i got a 93 rm 125 with no spark just got stator last year and its died half way tho summer and now has no spark dont want to waste money on new one if its not that as there not cheap like atv parts lol but does anyone think this would fit/ work

http://www.giobikes.com/Performance-...5cc-Dirt-Bike/

Old 04-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #2

Re: Will This Fit???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadBoy
k first off i no i should have posted this under bikes but u all been so helpfull with the atv was thinkin i would toss this at you to lmao

i got a 93 rm 125 with no spark just got stator last year and its died half way tho summer and now has no spark dont want to waste money on new one if its not that as there not cheap like atv parts lol but does anyone think this would fit/ work

http://www.giobikes.com/Performance-...5cc-Dirt-Bike/
I would guess 'no' .. is your rm 125 a two stroke or 4 stroke?

It's not bad for you to post in the 'other' section. Most of us troll all the forums, and will help you out.. and you might find some smart guys who are just into bikes that won't pop over into ATV's.

A mod will most likely move this anyhow.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #3

I moved it.

My guess is no on the stator. The reason is that a two stroke fires every time the piston reaches TDC, whereas a four stroke fires every other time (apologies if you already knew that).

Can you adjust the distance of the pickup to the flywheel? Maybe that's why there's no spark. Do you have a spare CDI for testing? That could also be the problem.

My last two stroke (and I mean my last - I'm hereby a four stroke guy) would eat a plug every day. I switched up two heat ranges, and I was able to get two or three rides out of it. Is your plug new?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I moved it.

My guess is no on the stator. The reason is that a two stroke fires every time the piston reaches TDC, whereas a four stroke fires every other time (apologies if you already knew that).

Can you adjust the distance of the pickup to the flywheel? Maybe that's why there's no spark. Do you have a spare CDI for testing? That could also be the problem.

My last two stroke (and I mean my last - I'm hereby a four stroke guy) would eat a plug every day. I switched up two heat ranges, and I was able to get two or three rides out of it. Is your plug new?
You'll have to move it a couple more times. Posted in a few spots.

Maybe it's an RMZ 125.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #5

no i have no spare cdi as the electrical stuff i have looked up tonight the best price with out a stator was 400$ and something and not even from canada so not sure the diff in $$ would the cdi off gio work? maybe i just sell this ahaha since all the china made stuff is so cheap to fix lmao

Old 04-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #6

http://www.giobikes.com/Performance-...VS-Dirt-Bikes/

think this will fit or can be made to fit/work???

Old 04-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #7

ps took other post down so u dont need to hunt them down

Old 04-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #8

Again, if your RM is a two stroke, then four stroke parts will only spark half as often. Aside from that, the rev limiter and spark advance will be totally wrong.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #9

Hold the phone.........

A crankshaft "trigger" for firing a motorcycle engine fires on every revolution, perfect for a 2 stroke, and on a 4 stroke it just fires on the compression and exhaust cycles (an extra "fire" for nothing).

(I call it a "trigger" because it doesn't matter if it is electronic, or points)

In this case the *thinking* is right BUT:
1) will the trigger wheel fit on the end of the crankshaft?
2) can the coils be made to fit the existing stator plate?

THEN:
If the trigger wheel is too heavy, or balanced incorrectly, it WILL break the crankshaft at high RPM.

PROBABLY:
The best thing to do is determine what is broken on the existing set-up. Coils can be re-wound (by hand for very little cost). Electronic boxes can be substituted (once you know the voltages involved you buy a cheap box).

Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #10

Once again Reveeen, you're the man. 8)

Old 04-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #11

A rev limiter doesn't really come into play, you can almost be certain (for warranty purposes) the stock air box and exhaust won't flow enough to blow it up under load.

To be honest, in/on the smaller displacement bikes (under 200cc), I haven't seen anything (electrically, as contained within the CDI box) that adjusts the ignition timing. Much the same way a lawn mower, or chain saw, has no provision for auto timing adjustment. You kind of set your timing (in this case by adjusting the pick-up) and let her rip. (of course this is a rev limiter in itself, combined by choosing components (the capacitor) in the CDI box that can only effect discharge so many times a minute).

Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #12

I would think the spark advance curve would be considerably different between a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke. I think you would be better off trolling ebay for the correct parts. You might be able to get it to work but I highly doubt you will ever get it to work well.