Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

hello riders. i live in fort lauderdale, florida. just got my brand new zong sierra 200 today. very nice bike. i have a question: when i start the bike, the idle seems fine, once it warms up the idle goes very high. i haven't done anything to it yet. i am new to motorcycling. this is my first bike. any suggestions? thanks in advance for any suggestions!
cloudrider~

Old 04-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #2

Welcome aboard.

Can the choke/fast idle circut be sticking on?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #3

Welcome.

Sounds like a possible choke issue. Go ahead on post it in the dual sport forum.

Allen

Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #4

Welcome.
Typically these bikes will idle faster when warmed up than they do when cold. My bike wont idle when cold but settles down nicely when warmed up.
Try setting the idle speed after the bike has been ridden for a few minutes.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

well, this may come to show you how new i am to motorcycling: :oops: i think i was riding with the choke on the ON position instead of the OFF position. it looks like to turn the choke OFF you need to turn the wheel towards you but i guess now that is the ON position. OFF is when you turn it away from you. can anybody confirm this? also, the belt seems to be bouncing against the plastic cover while i ride. is that normal?
thanks again!
c~

Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #6

Welcome to the forums... Tons of excellent info on Zongs here, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out Sounds like you are talking about the chain hitting the guard? I don't have a Zong, but I'm sure someone who does can give you a step by step on tensioning the drive chain.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #7

Welcome! You might be a tad overwhelmed at the Zong info coming your way, but it's always good knowledge!

Old 04-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudrider
hello riders. i live in fort lauderdale, florida. just got my brand new zong sierra 200 today. very nice bike. i have a question: when i start the bike, the idle seems fine, once it warms up the idle goes very high. i haven't done anything to it yet. i am new to motorcycling. this is my first bike. any suggestions? thanks in advance for any suggestions!
cloudrider~
Welcome to these forums, CR. Thank you for introducing yourself!

I believe your pilot mixture screw (PMS) is turned out too far; I had the same condition with my new Zong. Will you please post this question again, in a new thread in the Dual Sport Forum? I would prefer to answer your question there, because I think a lot of new Zong owners will benefit from the information.
Quote:
well, this may come to show you how new i am to motorcycling: :oops: i think i was riding with the choke on the ON position instead of the OFF position. it looks like to turn the choke OFF you need to turn the wheel towards you but i guess now that is the ON position. OFF is when you turn it away from you. can anybody confirm this? also, the belt seems to be bouncing against the plastic cover while i ride. is that normal?
thanks again!
c~
The choke is activated when the top of the choke knob is rotated away from the rider. The engine is running normally, without any choke, when the top of the choke knob is rotated towards the rider.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Welcome to the forums... Tons of excellent info on Zongs here, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out Sounds like you are talking about the chain hitting the guard? I don't have a Zong, but I'm sure someone who does can give you a step by step on tensioning the drive chain.
If you are talking about the drive chain, CR, it should not be hitting the chain guard. However, my Zong arrived new, in-the-crate, with the drive chain perfectly adjusted. Can you post a photo, or describe the problem in more detail? You can learn how to post photos in these forums by reading the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=6240

Also, after you learn how to post photographs, we would enjoy seeing pictures of your new Zong!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #10

Welcome!

You'll be a Zong expert before you know it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #11

Hello Spud,

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I believe my choke wheel is installed incorrectly then. By looking at the choke it looks like the arrow is pointing away from the rider as to suggest that is the ON possition. Therefore I started to ride it with the wheel rotated towards me, however riding this way the idle was too high. So I turned the choke wheel away and the bike runs beautifully. I rode it for 50 miles yesterday around town and I was surprised how nice and smooth this bike is. Again, I don't know much about motorcycles but this one sure rides nicely, even with my 215 lbs javascript:emoticon(':P')

CR~

c~[/quote]
The choke is activated when the top of the choke knob is rotated away from the rider. The engine is running normally, without any choke, when the top of the choke knob is rotated towards the rider.

Spud [/quote] :P

Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #12

I will post some pics and also will get some shots of the chain soon. today, it is raining cats and dogs here. too bad, i don't know how to ride in the rain. I can't wait to ride my new horse again javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Old 04-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
I will post some pics and also will get some shots of the chain soon. today, it is raining cats and dogs here. too bad, i don't know how to ride in the rain. I can't wait to ride my new horse again javascript:emoticon(':wink:')
I am glad your bike is running smoothly, CR. We eagerly await your photos.

In regards to the choke knob, I don't believe it is possible to install it incorrectly. Also, I don't think the factory would make that mistake, even if it were possible. If you are riding with the choke engaged, your carburetor is severely maladjusted. If you have time, please post photos showing how you are engaging, and disengaging the choke lever. The direction of rotation changes depending on whether you are describing either the top, or the bottom of the lever.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #14

I may do a video instead so you can see the bike's behavior when I turn the choke knob away from me. it works so good with the knob turned in what it seems to be the wrong position that I have a hard time believing that it isn't right.
anyway to post videos here?
cr~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
I am glad your bike is running smoothly, CR. We eagerly await your photos.

In regards to the choke knob, I don't believe it is possible to install it incorrectly. Also, I don't think the factory would make that mistake, even if it were possible. If you are riding with the choke engaged, your carburetor is severely maladjusted. If you have time, please post photos showing how you are engaging, and disengaging the choke lever. The direction of rotation changes depending on whether you are describing either the top, or the bottom of the lever.

Spud

Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #15

Best to link to a youtube or photobucket video.

Allen