Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #1

Atv Not Starting - Yet Another Problem

Sorry about starting a new thread but I considered the other thread seemed too crowded to start another topic.

I apologize for these newby questions. I am sure this could be a minor problem. Let me start.

Since my battery was dead I connected the battery charger directly terminals in order to make sure the atv works. But guess what, the atv does not seem to be turning on.

I changed the gas since I left a little in side there last time so it is easier for the atv to start up in the summer.

I also changed the gas filter since there were plastic shards in it. The old gas filter was an aftermarket one, and was waay higher quality than the original one. I'm not sure if there are plastic shards stuck in the carb. But I think there are plastic shards stuck in the gas tank since the gas is not flowing properly.

I'm not sure if this is the problem why my atv is not starting but it could be..

I will be posting a video and pictures in my next post.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #2

Does it crank or turn over? Or does it do nothing when you hit the start button?

Was it cranking and turning over with the presumed dead battery?

Old 05-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #3

Here is a video:

Here are couple of pictures..

Old 05-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Does it crank or turn over? Or does it do nothing when you hit the start button?

Was it cranking and turning over with the presumed dead battery?
Yes, it cranks but it does not seem to be getting spark...

You might want to check the video I posted up. Before I stored the atv it used to start with the old battery which is now dead. I have to hook the battery charger directly to the terminals in order for it to start as shown in the image.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #5

That video does not show the engine cranking. It's trying, but it might have turned over once. Your battery is too low, and you're gonna kill your charger, unless it's a boosting charger.

Do you know someone with a volt meter? It would help to know what voltage your battery is at.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #6

I might have found the solution to my own problem.

http://forums.atvrideronline.com/70/...art/index.html

Here is the solution I found at the forum which could probably solve my problem:

Quote:
First find out what exactly is clicking. It is probably the starter solenoid. This is easy to indentify because the big heavy gauge wire from the battery goes straight to it, then on to the starter motor after that.

Assuming it is the starter solenoid doing the clicking, then it could be the battery. Or it could be a bad connection. Starters draw a lot of current. The actuating circuitry that connects up the starter does *not* draw a lot of current. If the battery can't put out enough current to run the starter (or a bad connection is limiting the current) then when you push the start button, the solenoid closes which hooks up the starter motor, the voltage collapses under the heavy load, the solenoid disengages because the voltage is too low, the battery voltage comes back up because it isn't loaded anymore, and the whole process repeats. What you hear is the solenoid opening and closing rapidly which makes a clatter or buzzing sound.

To see if it is your battery, jump the quad to your car (be really careful with the polarity of the jumper cables). If it starts then your battery is bad or discharged. If it still chatters (buzzes) then look for bad connections at all joints and connections from the battery (+) terminal to the starter, and from the engine ground back to the battery (-) terminal. After letting it buzz for a while quickly feel around for connections that get hot. A hot connection is a bad connection.

If you still have problem that find yourself a voltmeter and we can go from there.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #7

I finally fixed the atv. I found what the issue was. The theather thing at the back was not working and was causing the atv not to start. Now the atv turns on. All I need to do now is to buy a new battery, change the spark plug and buy a new exhaust as mine is broken.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #8

Ok. I need to buy a new performance muffler as my old muffler cracked and I don't have a welder to fix it. But there is a another issue. The muffler hanger is broken as shown in this image.

Temporarily I am using a random metal pipe I found :oops: ..

Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #9

my bike wont start either?

"I found what the issue was. The theather thing at the back was not working and was causing the atv not to start"

the WHAT thing? i have spark, new gas, new battery, and just had carb ultrasonically cleaned my mechanic???

any help you can send me would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:07 AM   #10

Re: my bike wont start either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmizvik
"I found what the issue was. The theather thing at the back was not working and was causing the atv not to start"

the WHAT thing? i have spark, new gas, new battery, and just had carb ultrasonically cleaned my mechanic???

any help you can send me would be greatly appreciated!!
There is a suction cup looking thing on the back of some of these ATV's which is a kill or dead man switch. if it's not on correctly the machine will not spark.