Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #1

First real test of the Hyosung

I was invited as a guest to go ride with the Tampa Bay Desmo riders. They are a group of guys and gals that primarily ride Ducatis with a BMW and a Triumph or two thrown in to mix it up. (and my roomie's Bandit 1200)

Anyway, I was apprehensive at first, as to whether or not I would be able to hang with this crowd. As it turned out I was fine. This group frowns on show boaters and stunters while encouraging a safe spirited run. Basically they ask that you ride as outlined here http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_0...le_group_ride/

I had a blast, but I am sore now. I feel like I just did 75 or 100 push ups.
We covered a total of about 250 miles,

I failed to lock-tight some of the bolts, so as is typical of the China bikes, I lost one today. Nothing important, just the chrome stud behind the seat used to attach luggage.

Here is a pic of some of the group member’s bikes;

The smallest bike in attendance was a 620 Multistrada that produces 46.5 H.P.

My bike makes 76.5 H.P. at the same weight. So my concerns where unfounded. And I only embarrassed myself at the very beginning, pulling out of the parking lot and stalling in 3rd gear. I figure it is best to get these things out of the way right up front.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #2

Your 650 should have no problem keeping up with the majority of the Ducatis, especially the mostly original vintage ones. However, it seemed a little alarming that you lost a bolt, especially considering that your bike is Korean, not Chinese...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #3

I was surprised too. Again it wasn't anything critical.

When I bought the bike I noticed all the bolts on the engine, brakes and controls all have a small white tick mark on them, from the factory worker marking it after torquing. The I checked the other luggage stud and it wasn't marked and was only finger tight.

I have since checked the bike over and found a few more bolts that aren't marked and they are all noncritical components. (not that I want to lose any more parts) Its just good to know if I do it isn't likely to be an engine mount.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #4

Polygon,

Glad to hear you had a good ride and kept up with the Ducati's Sounds like it was a blast..

The Pic you took looked like everyone was color coordinated.... alot of red.. even the backdrop was red. Hope you had a red helmet and jacket lol...

They also had some great guidelines for the ride.. A good blueprint for any group ride...

Psyched to hear your enjoying your Hyosung so much...

NET

Old 04-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
The Pic you took looked like everyone was color coordinated.... alot of red.. even the backdrop was red. Hope you had a red helmet and jacket lol...
Well my bike is an amazingly close match to Ducati red, but I wore my yellow jacket. If it weren't for the wind proof liner my buddy lent me, I don't think I would have been able to complete the ride. It was awfully cold.

I didn't bring my camera, so the picture is from their board. I think it was taken at Quaker Steak.

I know this type of riding isn't the primary focus of this board, I just had such a good time I had to share.

I sure wish the parts for my dual sport would come in. I really want to be able to ride it for the Florida members meet up later this month.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #6

Hi PolygonFla

I wouldn't worry about it, most people look at anything that comes from Asia as Chinese, if you know what I mean. Besides UM started out as a Chinese importer. Heck I have people stop in the shop and look at the UM dirtbikes, they ask where they are made and I tell them the smaller bikes under 250cc are made in China, 250cc up are made in Korea. They still look at me like I just spoke some oddball language, ya Chinglish that's what it was! I'm glad you spoke your mind about this bike.

Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 04-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #7

Bruce

I just watched the videos on the home page here on chinariders, and it looked like UM was placed in the Taiwanese area. I know their cruisers and sport bikes are definitely Korean, as they are re-badged Hyosungs, but their dirt bike and quads could be seen in the Taiwanese Hall video, so perhaps they (dirt bikes and quads) are at least one step above the average Chinese bike and made in Taiwan?!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #8

My bike is stuck at work!

It has been raining here for two days and it doesn't look like it is gonna quit anytime soon. (we needed it bad)

I enjoy riding it so much, I rode it to work on Monday when the weather reports called for 30% chance of rain. The rain started around noon and hasn't stopped. I promised myself I would never ride in the rain agian if I had a choice. Three out of four times I went down have been in the wet stuff and once while racing.

Well at least my lawn is happy, or as happy as grass can get anyway