Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #1

how to tighten steering forks?

what i mean is the front tube of the frame that the center of the forks is connected to is loose. i can hold the front brake and shake the bike front and back and feel it. i don't think its as easy as tighten the chrome bolt in the center because that feels tight with a short wrench. thanks, alan

Old 09-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #2

Re: how to tighten steering forks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan566
what i mean is the front tube of the frame that the center of the forks is connected to is loose. i can hold the front brake and shake the bike front and back and feel it. i don't think its as easy as tighten the chrome bolt in the center because that feels tight with a short wrench. thanks, alan
Starting on page 74, your Zongshen 200GY-2 Motorcycle Maintenance Manual describes the inspection, maintenance, and repair of the triple tree. If I were you, I would let an experienced motorcycle mechanic make a quick examination of your triple tree. He can probably identify the problem, if any, before you begin to disassemble your triple tree. As always, if you can post either photos, or a video of the problem, we will be better able to help you.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-11-2010, 03:47 AM   #3

you need to tighten the steering stem bearings, losen the top triple on both forks, and the bolt the handle bars go over. then use the tool or a screw driver and hammer to tighten the cap with the four notches until the steering has no play, if it still has play you will need new bearings

doing this with the bike on a stand will make it much easier

Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #4

thats how i thought you fix it. pix or video wouldn't of helped any this time, its not a lot of play but when i hit the front brake i would feel a slight back and forth motion. the wheel and brakes checked out fine so i went to the fork bearings and sure enough there was some play.
i was being lazy by asking here and not looking it up but honestly i have more faith finding the proper technique to fix it here than the manual.
thanks, alan

Old 09-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #5

thanks guy, that fixed it!!!

Old 09-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #6

I'm glad you got the problem fixed, Alan. How much did you need to tighten the steering stem adjusting nut?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #7

Thanks for you help, WA. I'm curious, why would you need to loosen the top fork nuts on the triple tree?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #8

I loosen the clamp bolts on the top triple, and remove the nut and washer that sit on top of the triple. I then tap the top triple up with a soft hammer, to take pressure off of the notched nut. I then tighten the nut until there is no play in the forks, yet the forks turn smoothly.

I then tap the top triple back down and tighten everything back up. I believe that the top triple needs to exert some pressure on the notched nut to keep it from backing off.

How do you adjust the notched nut?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #9

yep thats why you losen the tripples so the top nut doesnt have space to back off in to after you tighten it

my bike actually came with the tool in the tool kit. but you can stick a flathead screw driver in a notch and tap it with a hammer. shouldn't take very much pressure

Old 09-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I loosen the clamp bolts on the top triple, and remove the nut and washer that sit on top of the triple. I then tap the top triple up with a soft hammer, to take pressure off of the notched nut. I then tighten the nut until there is no play in the forks, yet the forks turn smoothly.

I then tap the top triple back down and tighten everything back up. I believe that the top triple needs to exert some pressure on the notched nut to keep it from backing off.

How do you adjust the notched nut?
Thank you for passing along the important tip, W&G! The forks, and the triple tree, and the only parts of my Zong upon which I have not performed any maintenance. I plan to change the fork oil, fork seals, and inspect the triple tree later this year.

The Zongshen 200GY-2 Motorcycle Maintenance Manual does not mention loosening the top bolts on the triple tree. I believe it omits this important information because it describes removing the forks, and replacing the fork oil, in the pages immediately preceding this section of the service manual. Therefore, the Zongshen service manual describes tightening the steering stem adjusting nut, and inspecting the steering stem bearings, after the forks have been completely removed.

I think channel lock pliers would do a good job tightening the adjusting nut.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #11

Thank you for asking an excellent question, Alan! Also, thanks to Wild Alaskan, and Weldangrind, for offering the solution to this maintenance problem. I am adding this thread under the Maintenance subheading in the Zongshen Sticky!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #12

I turned it about 1/3 of a round. I had some play in the front every since i got the bike, it was a small amount but I still didn't want it. I only felt it when I hit the front brake so I thought the caliper was loose. But it was tight and the with wheel was rolling true so it was the fork bearing loose. Before i started the thread I tapped the nut with a screwdriver and it won't move but I hadn't loosened the bolts. I had to take off the handlebars to get to the middle bolt. You guys advice worked great!!! Thanks Alan

Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #13

One more thing. I rode the bike for an hour today and since I tightened the fork bearings it didn't have a wobble at all at any speed. So that fixed it! Thanks for all the help!!! Alan

Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #14

Good news! Wobbles are bad at speed. 8O

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #15

you got that right!