Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Build a small utility trailer for Zongshen Sierra 200?

I am interested in building a small utility trailer for my Zong so I can take the camping gear I want, when I go trail riding in northern Minnesota or on a longer backroads trip. I would like advice from anyone who has built a trailer for a light dual sport bike, or built a hitch for one, like the Zong.

I do not want a covered trailer, to keep the weight down - just something with a frame and sides to lash to - that I can put waterproof packs into. It also has to be fairly long for my tent cot (40" to 48"), and narrow for some mild single trail riding.

After looking at various trailer sites, I didn't see anything commercially made that would work, but bicycle trailers come the closest. Then I came across a You Tube video showing a homemade bicycle trailer that looks like it would be a good beginning point for homemade one. The video is entitled " Homemade Bicycle Trailer" and is found at:

If you read the comments section of the video, you will find a link to some plans, but the file type is a .skp file for Google SketchUp. I downloaded and installed the free SketchUp and exported the following .jpg so you can get an idea of what the trailer looks like like:

The hitch is a bit unusual, but looks like it would be lighter than a regular ball type trailer hitch and would work well. But there is no tongue on the trailer. So if anyone has any ideas for designing a tongue that would work well, how to make the hitch for a Zong or similar bike, and lights or has any other suggestions, please post your ideas.

One thing I really like about this plan is that is is a bolt together unit, which eliminate the need for aluminum welding, which I don't do, but would allow for easy and cheap refinements, which usually come after you use something a few times.

Anyway, thanks for any comments or suggestions. And this is REALLY a great site!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #2

It's doable. One of our members, a guy named Jim, IIRC used a bicycle trailer with some success with his Hondoid/Lifanoid on about a 500 mile trip.

Things to bear in mind:

The 200cc Zong has a practical top speed of about 60 (sustained) and it's giving it's heart to do that so I'd feel more comfortable recommending roads with spped limits in the 55-60 range and never a 70MPH posted speed limit on a highway.

I was almost killed not following this rule.

With a trailer I doubt you'd see the far side of 55, and something like 50 may be more stable.

I'd advise you to look into the proven Spudifications such as gearing changes (VERY IMPORTANT FOR A PULLING APPLICATION), and pipe/jetting recommendations.

These are all in a sticikie in the DS forum.

Can you build the trailer from aluminum? Balsa wood? :P

Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #3

Another idea is a single wheel trailer that follows precisely in your motorcycles track... One of the members Slimjim503 has one (I think it's a bicycle trailer?). Here is a link to a thread of his with a few pics of the trailer if you scroll down http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ailer&start=60

I really like the idea of the single wheel trailer, it would also offer less rolling resistance than a 2 wheeled trailer. If I was going to build one I would go this route. Please keep us posted on your progress, I think it's a great idea!

Cheers,
Stew

Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #4

Slimjim503

That's who I was thinking of!

Thanks MICrider!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #5

Here's another link to single wheeled bike trailers, one even looks like Slimjims... I know they're bike trailers but they might give you a good idea for building something similar... Just have to use a small motorcycle wheel instead of a bike wheel maybe? Thinking out loud

http://greenhomeauthority.com/single...rison-pricing/

Old 02-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #6

Bill and Stew,

Thank you for your valuable input and willingness to help a new forum member. I agree with Stew; I think a single wheel trailer might be more appropriate for Jak's intended use, and the 200cc Zongshen engine. Also, Bill is quite correct; I strongly encourage Jak to purchase a 13T countershaft sprocket if he is going to be pulling a trailer with his Zong. I recommend the 13T sprocket manufactured by PBI. You can find a thread detailing the Zong sprockets in the Zong Sticky, located at the top of this forum.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #7

IIRC, Barnone pulls a trailer behind a few of his bikes. Perhaps he'll chime in.

Great looking plans! I'm inclined to agree with the single wheel idea, and I presume that the trailer would benefit from a side stand.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #8

With a single wheel you will need to be careful to load evenly I assume?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #9

Probably, but you could create a shallow v-shaped section to hold the tent so it doesn't move around.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #10

Here's mine and it works like a champ.

Probably have about 1k miles behind my XT225, SYM scooter, and Pitster Pro 125.

It's a ASOM bicycle trailer.
http://www.aosom.com/index.php?main_...products_id=46

I had two of the trailers and just needed one so I sold one to a buddy in WNC who rides a liquor scooter as his only means of transportation so he really gives his a workout. Here is is just fooling around.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #11

Thanks for posting the photos, Bar. After being reminded of Barnone's trailer, I think I might rescind my vote for the one-wheel trailer. Having two wheels must certainly facilitate loading, and towing the trailer.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #12

Spud,
You are welcome and don't forget chuckklr who towed a overloaded ASOM trailer like mine from LA to NC and back.
http://planetminis.com/f14/mighty-mi...ay-152642.html

Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Thanks for posting the photos, Bar. After being reminded of Barnone's trailer, I think I might rescind my vote for the one-wheel trailer. Having two wheels must certainly facilitate loading, and towing the trailer.

Spud
Plus, you can pick up chicks!
I have the exact same bicycle trailer from when my son was young... It has an enclosed canopy on it though, did you cut it down or make a new box? I recall it pulled super easy, even behind the cheap old (heavy!) mountain bike I had at the time.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Plus, you can pick up chicks! ...

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider

Spud
Plus, you can pick up chicks!
I have the exact same bicycle trailer from when my son was young... It has an enclosed canopy on it though, did you cut it down or make a new box? I recall it pulled super easy, even behind the cheap old (heavy!) mountain bike I had at the time.
The only change I made was to put heavy duty tubes and kevlar BMX tires on my trailer.
ASOM has many different types trailers on their web site.