Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #1

Thank God for SPRING, friends, and Dualsport motorcycles.

What a great day. Sunny, no wind, mid 60's, and I rode the better part of 100 miles today with my frineds Roger on his new KLR and his friend (and Christian brother) Terry. The guy with the KTM wimped so Terry, a very good rider without a DS, borrowed Roger's Q and came along for the ride :P .

I led as I know the area best, and we had a great time. About 80% off pavement, and half of that singletrack 8) .

Since I had access to the KLR, and I was leading a beginner rider on a KLR, I took that bike. Also, I wanted to ride the new and the old ones back to back on the street and in the dirt to compare the two .

'My' KLR by the Mighty Columbia River.

The old and the new.

I miss Q already!

Chilling with the Killer.

My buddy Roger. This guy is always happy.

Terry and the Rat.

Roger and Q.

Terry and the Dirt Rat again.

Fast Doc and a beer. Life is AMAZINGLY GOOD.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #2

Addendum:

That's not the Columbia, just an estuary off it. The Columbia is about a mile wide at that point. 8O

ROAD AND TRAIL TEST:

The KLR's are more alike than different. To be honest they would be hard to tell apart if you are riding them without seeing the bike. The new one had firmer suspension which made it a tad better on road. It's brakes are indeed better on road, and the seat is firmer which I prefer. Off road the older one has more travel, and the weaker brakes don't matter. On the highway the old one had better wind protection, but it also has a larger aftermarket windscreen.

The new one was buzzier at 75 MPH (short highway stretch), but was geared lower (1 tooth smaller CS sprocket).

I'd say if pressed the new one is a little better on the road, the older one a tad better off road, but overall they are more alike than different.

If someone wanted a KLR and could not afford the new model the older model would be just fine.

Also, I have come to the conclusion that the KLR makes a fine trail bike! Who would have thought! It works well in the open desert areas, even tighter and more technical single track. I still do not think it would be a good woods bike, but in the wide open spaces it really is fine, if you respect its mass and power. :P

I would imagine a more dirt oriented large DS like the XR-L (BRP) would be much better in the dirt, but even the Killers did great!

JMHO.

Bill.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #3

Great pics doc, I really like that dirt rat

Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #4

Thanks for posting the nice photos and your review of the two generations of KLRs, Doc.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #5

Beautiful countryside; I would never leave that area.

Ahhh, Bob's Burger and Brew. There's one about 15 minutes from my place.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #6

Awesome pics Doc, looks like a nice day and a lot of fun. Good comparison on the two KLR's as well, I had a sneaking suspicion that they would be very similar in handling, but have never had a chance to take a first generation for a spin yet. I also agree with you that for more off road oriented riding an XL or a DR would probably be better suited. The KLR carries a lot of weight up high (large fuel tank and rad) which is no big deal on the road, but can be felt in trail riding situations.

Probably would have been a fun trip to take the KLX on as well! Is there a fairly strict break in schedule on it? I noticed that it has a 10500 RPM redline... Wow! Good times and great bikes, thank you for sharing .

Cheers,
Stew

Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #7

The break in on the KLX is unrealistic. It has been pointed out to me that all Kawasakis, from the giant V-Twin cruisers to the Ninja 250 all have the same break in RPM limit of 4,000 for the first 500 miles and 6000 for the next 500 miles. 4000 on the KLX is all of 40 MPH.

I keep it below 55 MPH (5500 RPM) and vary the speed and engine load constantly, don't floor it and don't lug it. I should be good to go. First oil change is at 600 miles. I should be there soon!

Thanks for the observation about the area, W&G. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I love the desert here, but still think I will always prefer the beauty of California. With that said my blessings here outweigh and disadvantages 100:1 so I am grateful.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
The break in on the KLX is unrealistic. It has been pointed out to me that all Kawasakis, from the giant V-Twin cruisers to the Ninja 250 all have the same break in RPM limit of 4,000 for the first 500 miles and 6000 for the next 500 miles. 4000 on the KLX is all of 40 MPH.
I don't think I followed that on my vulcan 800, I just rode it like I normally would have. It hasn't given me any troubles, but still maybe not the best way to break it in, I don't know.

I will also agree about the area, very nice there. I like here too though. I think the grass is green on both sides of the fence... I just hate that stupid fence.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #9

I think the grass is green on both sides of the fence... I just hate that stupid fence.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the excellent point, Jim.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #10

Very cool pics. I've always like the color Blue and those Blue KLR's really look nice IMO.