Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

Anybody try and do a Motard conversion ?

Hey all, been a while since I posted. I have been thinking of moving my dual sport more towards the "sport" I rarely ever go offroad at all, and was thinking the bike is pretty light, and with some decent street tires would be pretty cool in the twisties. I have an 2006 Roketa DB07. I think the rear shock needs to get replaced too, its pretty soft and bouncy. And the original knobbies are worn out.. so I need tires anyway.

Shock, would like it to keep the same ride height but be firmer, and better dampening,
Tires .. I guess the widest tire that can go in there...

Thanks.. Hope someone has done this before.. I tried searching and did not see anything.

Ken

Old 03-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #2

It's been done. You may be able to find the old threads.

Basically you're looking at replacing the front fender. A Polysport is recommended.

Remove the rear fender and tailight and replace them. An Edge II is recommended.

Replace the tires (tubes too!) with street only ones.

Lower the forks in the triple tree a bit, and consider replacing the rear shock. I know that CBR and R6 unuits have been used but I don't recall the details.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #3

heading in that direction with my Saga bit by bit.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

I would consider replaing rims with 17" (Most common size) This gives you lots and lots of tire options. Sounds like a cool project. I would like to see some pics if you pursue this. Good Luck and best wishes.

Andrew

Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #5

Re: Anybody try and do a Motard conversion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens97sto171
Hey all, been a while since I posted. I have been thinking of moving my dual sport more towards the "sport" I rarely ever go offroad at all, and was thinking the bike is pretty light, and with some decent street tires would be pretty cool in the twisties. I have an 2006 Roketa DB07. I think the rear shock needs to get replaced too, its pretty soft and bouncy. And the original knobbies are worn out.. so I need tires anyway.

Shock, would like it to keep the same ride height but be firmer, and better dampening,
Tires .. I guess the widest tire that can go in there...

Thanks.. Hope someone has done this before.. I tried searching and did not see anything.

Ken
You can definitely do a supermoto conversion, Ken. Forum member RecRacer did a supermoto conversion with two, 18-inch wheels, on his Viva, dual sport motorcycle. Your Roketa DB07 employs a Lifan front wheel. If you wish, you also can either build, or purchase, an 18-inch, front wheel for your bike. If you had an extra, 18-inch, front wheel, you could switch back and forth from supermoto, to dual sport configurations, by merely changing the front wheel. In fact, I have both a brand new, and a used, Lifan, front hub for sale, including brake rotor. If you are interested in either of these hubs, please send me a personal message. If you wish, I could also lace an 18-inch rim to either of these hubs, and build a custom wheel for you.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
It's been done. You may be able to find the old threads.

Basically you're looking at replacing the front fender. A Polysport is recommended.

Remove the rear fender and tailight and replace them. An Edge II is recommended.

Replace the tires (tubes too!) with street only ones.

Lower the forks in the triple tree a bit, and consider replacing the rear shock. I know that CBR and R6 unuits have been used but I don't recall the details.
As usual, FastDoc has given you good advice. Here is an older photograph of my Zong with two, 18-inch wheels, a Polisport, front fender, and a DRC, Edge 2, tail light.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #7

Spud what is a good source for that rear tail Light? Those look sweet!
I Checked e-bay but only found KITS that included turn signals etc, and all were over $100. The other ones I found were all in the UK. Any suggestions?

Thanks Much

Andrew

Old 03-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #8

For cost effectiveness I would just swap the front to an 18inch wheel.

Plenty of street tire choices in 18" available.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCAndrew
Spud what is a good source for that rear tail Light? Those look sweet!
I Checked e-bay but only found KITS that included turn signals etc, and all were over $100. The other ones I found were all in the UK. Any suggestions?

Thanks Much

Andrew
You can purchase the DRC, Edge 2, tail light from Wheeling Cycle Supply, or Langston Racing. I believe the Edge 2, tail light is now also being marketed by 12 o'clock labs.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #10

here's the link to the old thread http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...er=asc&start=0

Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #11

WOW!!! Thanks so much.. I did not expect such a response.. looks like there are a few like minded people around.

SpudRider.. I will send you a PM about the rim.. Thanks.

Thanks guys.. amazing forum.
Will keep you update with the progress.

Ken

Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #12

Not that many of the China bike speedometers are terribly accurate, but an 18" wheel will likely throw it out. You could install a backlit digital bicycle speedometer to make up for it. they're cheap and easy to calibrate.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #13

Motard is cool.. its like being stuck in between street and dirt.

It slows you down offroad alot just because of tread pattern but also because it puts alot more weight up front. be prepared to fall if you drive on loose stuff slowly, you can only do it really,really fast (small front tire+more weight+loose stuff=tire sinks in and washes out easily) but my front is a full street tire 110-70/17

A fucking blast on the road though, you can just keep leaning harder and harder, till you feel that squishy feeling in the back tire :twisted:

Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens97sto171
WOW!!! Thanks so much.. I did not expect such a response.. looks like there are a few like minded people around.

SpudRider.. I will send you a PM about the rim.. Thanks.

Thanks guys.. amazing forum.
Will keep you update with the progress.

Ken
You're welcome, Ken. I received your PM, and I just sent you an email in response.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #15

Changes i never liked the oe headlight and i broke the rear fender cover
[/img][/list]