Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2011, 12:39 AM   #1

Let the Games Begin!

Started the transformation on the Q tonight, like everyone else. Got my jetting in yesterday (125 & 127.5 on the main, 35 and 40 on the slow), everything else supposed to show up tomorrow. Wanted to get a head start.

The virgin Q-XP on the rack. She runs great, as is.....but we must tinker.

Since I'm changing the muffler to the TC II, the ol' "BB in the Vacuum Line Trick" will keep the air pump from tossing fresh oxygen on my new muffler packing. No cat? No reason to introduce fresh air! Probably make a plate to block off the head port also...just in case. I want to leave the pump on for the visual effect. This is the PRK, ya know!

A small pair of channel locks for three of the carb cap screws and a pair of vise grips, straight down, cracked loose the screws so I could easily pull them with a screwdriver. Helps the stripped screw frustration. Allens to follow like everyone else.

Two hours later, front and rear rims off awaiting new tires and Tuff Tubes, forks off and ready for new fluid, stock muffler already in the shed, carb loose, twisted and all screws loosened for needle clip job and new jetting, Already set the idle mixture to 1 turn to get it close, bars off to be replaced with taller ones and countershaft sprocket removed. Leaving the air box, as everyone suggests.
It's Miller Time!

Checked the valve clearances two nights ago. They were suprisingly in spec! First out of 4 CB's I've had not to be to tight!
Parts tomorrow. Can't wait!
The bike alread runs great. This is going to be fun!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #2

Wow, new fluid in the forks already? You're thorough!

To a Canadian, Miller is like water; what's Miller Lite like?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

Apparently, Miller Lite is lighter than water, at least to a Canadian.

Good work, 2LZ! You are quickly making a great little bike even better! I eagerly await your reports concerning installation of the FMF Universal Spark Arrestor.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

I can't tell you what a HUGE difference it made on my other inverted forks on Mrs 2LZ Hondanoid, dumping the stock 'mystery liquid' and putting in some good, brand name 10W fork oil. Whole new front end. For under 10.00, well worth the results. So far, in current condition, the Hondanoids forks are superior to the Q's concerning dive and dampening when I hit my test track. (the gutter)

Miller Lite? It's the "Nector of the gods!" in my house!...besides, I prefer Canada's whisky far more than your beers and ales. You guys got whiskey perfected!
If I didn't drink light beer, I'd be 400 pounds! :oops: 8O

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #5

2LZ, you should work for a NASCAR pit team! Good work there. Just don't follow Andrew's inverted carb spring technique and you should be good to go! :P

Sorry Andrew. :roll:

Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #6

That's because whiskey in Canada is made from rye, not corn. Believe me, there are some excellent rye whiskies, and some that taste like paint thinner.

I need to spend more time on forks. I have a Chinabike that SoWaG and I picked up a few months ago but haven't ridden yet, and it'll be the first fork oil change candidate.

I changed fork oil in an old PE175 last year, and I used non-detergent SAE10W oil, presuming that it's the same thing as fork oil. I had it laying around, and it seemed to work fine. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the tip.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #7

Andrew's inverted carb spring technique. Awesome!

Old 03-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #8

Far a little non-high performance bike oil is oil for the forks, just use something clean and well made of the desired weight. What you used is fine. I think it's what the manual called for when I changed the oil on The Dirt Rat's forks.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #9

Good to know. Castrol SAE10W and 20W is cheap as chips.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Just don't follow Andrew's inverted carb spring technique and you should be good to go! :P

Sorry Andrew. :roll:
None to worry, Doc! Let's not forget I have years of struggle with Harley CV's and trying to get them to run properly! :x

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #11

Good question! I'll have to check on the fork oil vs. fork fluid thing.

I've always been under the impression that a good fork oil was more related to a 'weighted' hydraulic fluid for the dampening as opposed to an oil for lubricating.

Must hit internet..........

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #12

So my experience is all with mountain bike forks, but they are basically mini Moto X forks these days.

I allways has much better results with high end fork oil's, but also had good reults with bel ray which is not too expensive.

For really good small bump complience here is a trick I used to use and was also done with a "Works" service package form marzocchi.

find some PTFE oil treatment (available at most automotive stores, Slick50 etc) and when you do the oil change add 10cc of it in place of 10cc of oil.

Also, I took the PTFE and coated the stantions in it, wiped them down to remove any excess and let them sit overnight. Then polish the stantions with a soft buffing cloth like you would use to polish a car.

This made a a huge difference on my downhill racing bike, and I'll be doing the same to my bike when I get around to doing a service on the fork.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #13

We use SAE10W / 20W non-detergent at work in all hydraulic applications, manual and electric-over-hydraulic. It's often in place for 20+ years.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #14

I like the results so far, you'll be very pleased with the new add on's mostly the new sprocket. Just wish it would stop raining here so I could enjoy my bike.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevort
I like the results so far, you'll be very pleased with the new add on's mostly the new sprocket. Just wish it would stop raining here so I could enjoy my bike.
OH! DUDE! This is the first nice day in 2 months here! :x :evil: It's been ridiculous! My brother-in-law just went up yesterday and shovelled 6 feet of snow off their family cabin porch roof (Truckee, Ca.) so it wouldn't collapse! He said it's the first time he's seen this much snow there since he was 6 years old there. He's 52 now. 8O

Anyway, had to work a little OT so the evening was short, but I made 'some' headway in the short amount of time allotted. All parts showed up today with the exception of the dang 16T sprocket! I really wanted to start this rebuild from the "inside out" but I'll have to wait for it. Holiday here tomorrow. No mail. :x

Got the new dual sport tires in! (pic of both stock rear and new rear)Got some nice meat now! Of course, these aren't mounted and pumped up so they look overkill....but I can't wait to try them! They had great ratings by bigger bike guys on KLR's and the like....

Got the carb done and rehung, both needle mod and the 127.5/40 jetting. Mrs 2LZ was on the phone with her mother so I knew I had at least a half hour....so I swapped the fork fluid and remounted them.
As usual....I got 'roughly' 180+cc's out of each one. Refilled them with 200cc's of JP1 10W. Has worked great in all my bikes...large cruisers and CB's .

Tomorrow....go get my new bars and get the tires and Tuff Tubes mounted. Work Friday and then Saturday, HOPEFULLY sprocket and FMF TCII! Then VROOM! 8)
I'm excited!
Miller time! Cheers!

2009 Q Link XP 200