Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #1

Problem with ATV Carb.

My atv was outside for the winter, and I'm trying to get this 110 mini beast to work.

The only problem I'm having is the fact that whenever I connect the fuel line to the Carb, it begins to leak. The fuel lines are not damaged in any way, I have tested them. Gas gets into the Carb, but it begins to leak from the gas connection.

I opened up the carb and cleaned the main two jets with air and the bottom of the carb with tissue paper. I opened the carb a couple of times, in an attempt to fix the issue, but nothing has worked so far.

Any advice?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #2

If I understand correctly, your float valve isn't seating properly. If you remove the carb and then remove the bowl, you'll see how the float assembly is held in by a horizontal pin. Carefully remove the pin and float assembly (with the carb upside down), and you'll then be able to remove the float valve. Once it's out, examine the tip of it to make sure there's no crud on it. Clean everything with aerosol carb cleaner (cheap at Walmart).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #3

Thanks for your help, I'm going to try to fix it right now...will post on the forum once it's fixed or if there are any other problems.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #4

Cool. Please post pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #5

I removed the pin, but how do you remove the jet under neat there...

Old 04-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #6

Here are a couple of pics:

Now...how do you get the jet underneath the float bowl...

Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #7

I tried removing the float valve with a plier, but it was damaging it, so I stopped. I can't seem to get it out, any advice on how you are supposed to normally remove it.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #8

I think what you may be referring to as a jet in the float bowl is just the overflow drain, not a jet and does not need any special cleaning. That said that is one crudded up bowl! It looks like an ad for Stabil!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #9

I'm referring to this one:

That jet, underneath the float won't come off for some reason.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #10

Gotcha. :P

That's ALSO not a jet. That's the fuel valve needle seat. Make sure its clean but it can't be easily removed. If corroded past useful limits I'd replace the carb. :wink:

Old 04-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #11

Oh....then what do I need to clean in order to fix this problem...sigh.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #12

I re-read your post. It sounds like it's leaking from the fuel line connection and a new fuel line will solve the problem. If it leaks from the carb overflow the problem is a leaky needle valve. To fix that you clean the seat (some cleaner on a Q Tip will do) and usually replace the needle. Many needles interchange and I'm sure your's is the same as many others, likey a Kehin. a couple dollars at the most.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #13

Make sure that your float does not have a leak too. If it has any fuel in it the it won't float and the carb will leak.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #14

That carb looks very dirty, i would remove the main and pilot jet ( the ones with the slot on top ) and clean then very good, then blow out the passages where they go, all that gunk on the float maybe making it heavier which may cause it to not lift the needle high enough to cut off the fuel flow when the bowl is full, also even a small pc of dirt/gunk on the needle and seat will cause it not to seat properly and that too will let the fuel keep flowing.
So all in all i'd give it a very good cleaning and reassemble, get some carb cleaner and an old toothbrush, it will probably be fine, i've seen snowmobile carbs in worse shape and after a good cleaning they work fine.

And next year save yourself the trouble and drain the fuel bowl before storing it.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #15

Quick question. Do you clean the carb by using the straw or do you soak it in a solution.

From what I can see I have two options. I can either purchase carb cleaner from crappy tire or walmart, or purchase a liter of engine degreaser letting it sit inside there.

In any case I will still have to remove the rubber gaskets...now, what do you guys use or do to clean it out?