Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Sack-Slapped Send a message via MSN to Sack-Slapped Send a message via Yahoo to Sack-Slapped
My QH250-GY Komoto.. project?

I'm not sure if I'd call it a project, but this is where I'll ask all of the questions I encounter :P

Anyways, in my introduction forum I had a couple people tell me to try using a different kind of oil. Weldagrind also suggested I clean the filter when I change the oil, but I honestly have no idea where that is. I took some pictures, and I'll check this topic when I get home tomorrow and try it out.

Right in the middle is where i put in the oil, but it's all dry. I'm wondering how it runs out of oil so fast, it only has 1700 miles on it. I've filled it up at least 3 times.

And then heres the oil stick, which is very, very low. So my question now is 1. Should I just fill the oil up, or try and change it? I looked inside and it looks bone dry. 2, how do I clean the filter?

And then heres a picture of the whole side of where i insert the oil, i'm assuming the filter would be on this side somewhere.

ps: it's 9:00pm here so it's dark, I had to use a flash light to get the photos to light up(the camera flash made the pic plain white), so if needed I can take some more tomorrow, closer up of where you might think it is.

Thanks in advance for the help

Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #2

Nope, the filter is on the left side, just in front of the shifter, way down low. It takes either a 24mm or 15/16" socket, and there will be a cleanable filter and a spring in there. Note how it comes out so you can put it back the same way.

I wipe the worst off of the filter, then spray it out with some carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Be careful tightening the nut back in, they crack really easily.

When you're checking the oil, don't screw the dipstick in. Simply insert it in the hole so it rests on the nut, then pull it out to check. You're likely not using near enough oil.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Sack-Slapped Send a message via MSN to Sack-Slapped Send a message via Yahoo to Sack-Slapped
Thought I'd check this before I go to bed.

Alright, I just went and looked with a flash light and I believe I see what you're talking about.

The dip stick remains the same, no matter if it's screwed in or not. Before I took the picture I forgot that I was supposed to stand the bike off the kick stand, which I just did, and it didn't change at all. I'm pretty sure I'm using enough oil, it takes quite a bit when we fill it up. Beneath the motor is the shield thing, right? It almost looks like there's some oil on there, i'll check it out when it's daylight though.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #4

My point is that if you were filling and checking with the dipstick screwed in, you weren't adding enough oil. Not screwing it in will increase the total volume to a little over a quart.

Yeah, you might have an oil leak. Maybe the drain plug is a little loose.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-06-2011, 03:06 AM   #5

I suggest you carefully check your bike for oil leaks. If you don't find any leaks, you are probably not adding enough oil, as Weldangrind has suggested. When you use the dip stick to check the oil level, do not screw it into the engine.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #6

One easy way to find out.
After you warm the bike, pull the screen (filter) from the left side, as W&G suggests and then drain it all out.
Put the screen, spring and cap back on and dump in a quart. That's all they hold. At least you know it has the correct amount of oil then. Cheap insurance.
If you overfill, it will blow out the excess, as we've seen here in another post.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ
One easy way to find out.
After you warm the bike, pull the screen (filter) from the left side, as W&G suggests and then drain it all out.
Put the screen, spring and cap back on and dump in a quart. That's all they hold. At least you know it has the correct amount of oil then. Cheap insurance.
If you overfill, it will blow out the excess, as we've seen here in another post.
If you overfill with too much oil, you can blow a seal. 8O I agree with 2LZ; drain the engine oil, and pour in 1 quart of new oil.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #8

For oil that is inexpensive yet works great. Shell rotella 15w40 available at walmart. It is for diesel engines, but does not have the energy conserving label.
Comes in qts too.
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...on_detail.html

I always used a qt to fill mine.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #9

Well my dad went and bought some 4 stroke motorcycle oil, valvoline 10w-40. Bought to go change the oil, i'll let you guys know how it works out.

PS: I won't be able to ride it yet, apparently on the end of the steel cable needs to be a knob that goes onto the lever. That's missing, so we're going to have to get a new one.

Edit: Okay, I drained the oil and cleaned the filter, no problem. What surpised me was how little oil was in there, when I had put in probably a total of 2 quarts since I got the bike. So then I put about half a quart of oil in it when I notice it was dripping oil(I thought it was just because i missed when I started pouring), but it was pretty steady stream. I looked underneath and it almost looks like a screw is missing.

Heres a side view(right side)

Then heres where it looks like a screw is missing. I'm 99% sure it was leaking and not from me spilling.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #10

It's tough to see from that photo. My recommendation is that you remove the skidplate from the bottom of the engine and clean the underside really well. After it's clean, pour oil in again, and watch carefully for the source of the leak.

Can you show us a pic of what you mean by the knob on the lever? Which lever?

Old 05-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #11

Yup, me and my dad already talked about taking that cover off to look at it better.

As for the lever, its the clutch lever. From the way I understand it, you have the outer black protector cable, then inside that is a steel cable. On the end of the steel cable should be a knob that fits inside the clutch lever, so that when you pull the lever it pulls the steel cable. I can't take pictures tonight but I can take some before drivers ed tomorrow.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #12

You are blessed to have a dad to do these things with.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
You are blessed to have a dad to do these things with.
Amen!

Buy a spray can of brake cleaner; the cheapest stuff you can find. After you remove the skid plate, spray the bottom of the engine with the brake cleaner. Then hose the crude off the engine. Once the engine is clean, it will be much easier for you to find the leak.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #14

Well, apparently my bike is not leaking oil.. I just missed. And when I missed, it just looked like there was a ton of oil coming out, when really, there wasn't. Now all I have left to try is fixing the clutch cable before I have to try replacing the clutch assembly.

Heres the pic of the cable and lever, weldangrind.

PS:Yes, my battery is taped on :P If only I had the chinese bike checklist when I bought my bike.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack-Slapped
Well, apparently my bike is not leaking oil.. I just missed. And when I missed, it just looked like there was a ton of oil coming out, when really, there wasn't. Now all I have left to try is fixing the clutch cable before I have to try replacing the clutch assembly...
I'm glad you don't have an oil leak. You can either buy a new clutch cable, or repair your clutch cable with a soda straw, and some JB Weld. If you search this forum, you will find a thread detailing the clutch cable repair.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220