Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #1

Front brake Opinions

Since I don't have the long term years of riding . I'd like to get opinions from the veterans. I have had the old front brake setup from the megelli 250r . I have a dogleg lever for the clutch on the viva hondanoid and i like it . The megelli master cylinder also has a dogleg lever . I installed the megelli master cylinder on the viva . Now And maybe it's something good or something bad ,thats where your opinions come in . A handful of this master cylinder will really stop you if not stand you on your nose . I'm thinking that i will adjust to the reduced effort and be fine . First try was Whhooo and after a 5 mile test ride , i calmed down with it a bit . I'm still not smooth with it at this point . What do the You Guys think about it .

Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #2

What size is the master cylinder? What size is your stock caliper? Stainless line or rubber?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #3

I'm sure the bore size on the megelli master cylinder is smaller giving the increased leverage , but i did not measure them . Had to use the rubber brake hose on the viva , megelli stainless hose is not long enough . I guess my real question would be and maybe the anwser . if i can't adapt to the light effort and modulation ,it would be unsafe in low traction panic stops .

Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer
if i can't adapt to the light effort and modulation ,it would be unsafe in low traction panic stops .
That's pretty much your answer.

However, a smaller bore master on the same slave will actually create a "squishy" feeling...you'll be moving less fluid in the same motion. A larger bore will overpower the same slave, though.

If you just like the lever, why not fit it to your stock master?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #5

Just to be sure that this part is behind you, did you flush all of the old fluid out and bleed the system thoroughly?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Just to be sure that this part is behind you, did you flush all of the old fluid out and bleed the system thoroughly?
yes . I'll be going for a ride today . I'll see if i can adapt . maybe 1 or 2 finger braking will be the deal . Oh the levers will not interchange ,due to design differences .

Old 06-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #7

After todays ride and a ride on the megelli , i find that both bike are now equal in front braking and easily adaptable . the viva had required a full hand lever to stop . now after the initial shock i believe i have better braking control now .