View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 11:41 PM   #7

More wrenching on the Hellcat today... nice weather and I need this kitty ready to ride (broken motor mount bolt)!

Mod #9 - upgraded motor mount bolts. Don't wait until one breaks like I did! I used 5/16 x 5 in, grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers. The 5 in bolt was a little too long but I was able to trim some threads off for perfect fit... and the 5 in bolt had a longer solid-shaft (no threads) part compared to the 4.5 in bolt... so maybe a tad stronger.

Mod #10 - 3rd engine mount plate. Like MotoCheez... I made a plate that would bolt to the bottom engine mount holes and then get welded to the frame for support. I didn't have a piece of steel big enough to span both side-to-side bolts... but did have enough to use both front-to-back bolts down the middle of the engine. Welding upside-down was tricky... not my best ever job... but "that ain't going anywhere"!

Mod #11 - balance front wheel. After mounting my Shinko knobbies... I felt an unbalance in the front wheel... quite noticeable. I decided to buy the cheap Pit Posse motorcycle wheel static balancer. I pulled off my front wheel and unseated the bead. I then spent way too long moving the tire in relation to the rim to find the best balance. Then I made it perfect with an ounce of stick-on weights.

These combined mods... bolts, 3rd engine mount, balanced front wheel made a drastic improvement in ride quality! It rides so smooth now with no hint of unbalance. And the vibes in the footpegs are all but gone now... better than stock! So these were some VERY recommended mods.
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)