Thread: Templar X 250
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2023, 08:18 AM   #1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
"Tight" as in too tight or just right? I just checked mine and they were a tight .002" (Just right). I reset them to tight .002" intake and loose .002" exhaust but now I hear some light tapping on the exhaust side so I'm going back to the tight .002" it came set to. None of us even know whether the gap on this particular engine opens or closes with heat.

Too tight as in no movement. All engines heat up and the metal expands. The thermal expansion when running means that when the engine is cold, the valve clearances will be at their largest. Hydraulic cam followers were put into modern engines to prevent tapping noises as the engine heat up they adjust with the increased heat, but they don't exist in our Chinese Honda clone engine. If you have tappet rattle at full running temperature then you can reduce the clearance within the specifications range. Just keep in mind if the gap is too large the tappets will rattle, but if its too small the valve will not close properly when hot, and that can lead to misfires and burned valves.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility