Thread: Templar X 250
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2023, 12:59 PM   #1492

I don't need to wait for the new brake light to arrive to pass the inspection. I just need to meet the letter of the law as far as requirements go. And that is a brake light and a license plate light that illuminates when the headlights are turned on (aka running lights).

Time to rebuild the old broken one. If I pass with this one that means I can take my time without any rush when the new final replacement brake light comes in. I am much one to prefer taking my time.

Out with my digital soldering station.

Bing, Bang, Broken wire cut, stripped, tinned and reattached to the brake light circuit board.

Back on the bike, wired up, to test. Yes, running light works, and brake light now comes on when either the front brake or rear brakes is activated.

Time to button it up.

A little sanding and the damage from removal of the shell is removed and a nice flat surface created.

Epoxied up.

Now one thing not working that might have been damaged by the initial cutting was that license plate light. It does not illuminate when the headlight switch is on. Only the red brake-led running lights came on.

No problem. Thanks to Harbor Freight free LED flashlight giveaways.

With the test hardness wired up I got to test and profile the LEDs that Harbor Freight were using.

These look like 2.92 forward voltage loss White LEDs with a 25-mA current draw.

A quick calculation of 3 Harbor Freight LEDs in series and I had my inline resister calculated perfectly. A run on the digital power supply test bench and it lights up like a charm.

I am only going to use the top three LEDs for the license plate light so I will de-solder the first row of LEDs on the other side of the board and then cut the board down their center-lines so I only have the top half which has the parallel circuitry traces already in it.

... but that was all I could get done before bed. Next time I will continue the construction of the license plate LED lights and install them and wire them up for temporary use only to pass the inspection. Then the whole lot can come off again once the new replacement arrives.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Last edited by Texas Pete; 10-09-2023 at 04:28 PM.