Old 05-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #1

2007 Kangchao "Monster" 250

My latest "project"...

2007 Kangchao "250cc" ATV
- 230cc watercooled 167MM engine
- manual clutch 4-speed w/ reverse [R-N-1-2-3-4]
- shaft-drive 2x4
- looks like a close copy of a ~99-ish Yamaha Bear Tracker

Story was a friend who borrowed attempted to jump start it off a car and smoked something electrical. The previous owner then attempted to do some homemade rewiring to get it going and left a hacked up harness. I was given a bag with the $20 electrical set (coil, volt reg, starter solenoid, missing cdi) he'd bought in his repair attempt. But I quickly realized that the volt-regulator was the wrong type and I'm betting the CDI that came with the set was an AC CDI... and this ATV uses a DC CDI. That would explain why he didn't give me the new CDI... probably smoked it too during his rewiring. Oh well... probably why he sold it so cheap!

So I have a fun rewire project ahead. I've purchased a new ATV wiring harness and a new DC CDI. I'm hoping my 12-pole, 3-phase, 5-wire stator and 6-wire regulator are okay... but even if not... they are available for not too much $$.

Mechanically, it appears to be in decent condition. No rust, clean and straight frame... just rough in the plastics department. I'll clean those and repaint them... but they're never going to be beautiful. Still... I'm pretty excited to find this utility-style ATV. Will make a fine jet ski trailer mover around the yard!

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)